Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Air in Fuel Line Solved

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Air in Fuel Line Solved

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 11:55 AM
JSF-TC
My Feedback: (2)

Received 134 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Air in Fuel Line Solved

I was getting an increasing amount of air in my air trap and also noticed air bubbles in the line from the fuel tank to the trap during defuel, once the fuel level dropped below about 3/4 full.

I pulled the fuel clunk from the tank, suspecting the flexible fuel line, but as I started to dis-assemble it, I noticed that the brass tube in the line used where it passes through the tank baffle has a hairline crack in it - see attached.

Once that part of the fuel line became uncovered it was sufficient to allow air into the feed line to the air trap.

I replaced the brass line with a heavier gauge 3/16" tube and it all checks out fine.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1555.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	2194085  
Old 12-22-2016, 12:24 PM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A more permanent fix is to replace the brass tubing with the same size stainless steel tubing.
The brass tubing is sometimes worn by the tank baffle during transportation by bouncing on the fiberglass baffle, which will actually cut through the brass tubing wall which will lead to air leaks....there was a "Hint and Tip regarding this problem the BVM website a few years go.
This is why BVM baffled tanks have contained stainless steel tubes for the last few years.
Old 12-22-2016, 07:21 PM
Ad Clark
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What Harley said---+1 Absolutely go the stainless route when passing through a baffle