Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Status of JR Propo ?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Status of JR Propo ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 07:49 AM
newshoundaussie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PropsnWings
According to a post made on Facebook (someone posted an email from Mr Mooney) the 28X is no more and no more updates as the engineer left.
I thought Mr. Mooney left JR Propo well over a year ago maybe even closer to two years now?
Old 11-29-2017, 07:59 AM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

That's correct, but the email is not about Mooney leaving.. It's FROM Mooney about the programmer for the 28X leaving apparently.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:44 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 735 Likes on 531 Posts

Mooney went back when they re launched. Don't know about the 28X guy, but guess the programmers are expensive!

I'm just setting up my Mephisto on my 28X and it still does everything I want of it.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:03 AM
kirkj
My Feedback: (61)

Can you provide a link so i can read this letter in question please?
Old 11-29-2017, 11:00 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Cronkhite
That's correct, but the email is not about Mooney leaving.. It's FROM Mooney about the programmer for the 28X leaving apparently.
The 28x uses the Andriod operating system doesn't it? Application developers for the Android OS are not that hard to come by, or that expensive - especially in Asia.
If this guy Mooney left the company, how tied in to the internal staffing issues can he be?

Bob
Old 11-29-2017, 11:31 AM
digitech
My Feedback: (10)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rhklenke
The 28x uses the Andriod operating system doesn't it? Application developers for the Android OS are not that hard to come by, or that expensive - especially in Asia.
If this guy Mooney left the company, how tied in to the internal staffing issues can he be?

Bob
the problem is not really the Android running in the front software that is easy to do , however you dont get "permission"to speak to the send commands.
IF jr was smart they would release a SDK for the 28X.
this is why i sold mine , very disappointing to say the least , now have Jeti and that opens a new world..
Old 11-29-2017, 11:43 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by digitech
the problem is not really the Android running in the front software that is easy to do , however you dont get "permission"to speak to the send commands.
IF jr was smart they would release a SDK for the 28X.
this is why i sold mine , very disappointing to say the least , now have Jeti and that opens a new world..
Agreed, but since they own the source code(s) and hopefully it is at least documented to some point, finding someone who could come in and take over development on both ends - Android and whatever embedded processor is on the front end talking to the RF section, should not be THAT difficult. No one is irreplaceable and the loss of one programmer should not kill a product - not one that is profitable anyway...

Like I said, does anyone know if this Mooney guy is really tied in to what's going on, or just talking out of his ***** from sour grapes?!?

Bob
Old 11-29-2017, 11:44 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

There was some information posted on RCGroups about the JR stuff and the email a person received from someone at either JR or RC Depot, saying that the 28X was discontinued and no further software updates would be forthcoming. That was only up for about a day and the individual edited the thread removing the contents of the email he got. The thread was about someone from Australia buying a used 28X which needed to be repaired and he could not find anyone willing to accept the radio for repair. Last I saw, he was going to try sending it to RC Depot.

edit info:
Here's a link to a new thread on RCGroups about the 28X including some input from the gentleman who'd had direct contact with I believe, RC Depot;

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...el-Aviation%21

Last edited by Zeeb; 11-29-2017 at 12:45 PM.
Old 11-29-2017, 02:40 PM
warbird_1

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeeb
There was some information posted on RCGroups about the JR stuff and the email a person received from someone at either JR or RC Depot, saying that the 28X was discontinued and no further software updates would be forthcoming. That was only up for about a day and the individual edited the thread removing the contents of the email he got. The thread was about someone from Australia buying a used 28X which needed to be repaired and he could not find anyone willing to accept the radio for repair. Last I saw, he was going to try sending it to RC Depot.

edit info:
Here's a link to a new thread on RCGroups about the 28X including some input from the gentleman who'd had direct contact with I believe, RC Depot;

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...el-Aviation%21
the 28 is alive and well and still the best dam radio out there period ..
Old 11-29-2017, 02:51 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by warbird_1
lol
Old 11-29-2017, 03:57 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

This whole JR debacle is one of THE saddest thing to happen in RC history IMHO.
Old 11-29-2017, 04:38 PM
ZB

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry to burst your bubble, but 28 was not best and on cutting edge even when brand new. If anything it helped kill JR, tons of wasted money on expensive obsolete product. JR would do much better investing money and bringing basic features like speech and voice to existing radios.
Old 11-29-2017, 04:49 PM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rhklenke
Agreed, but since they own the source code(s) and hopefully it is at least documented to some point, finding someone who could come in and take over development on both ends - Android and whatever embedded processor is on the front end talking to the RF section, should not be THAT difficult. No one is irreplaceable and the loss of one programmer should not kill a product - not one that is profitable anyway...

Like I said, does anyone know if this Mooney guy is really tied in to what's going on, or just talking out of his ***** from sour grapes?!?

Bob
I don't think it's really all that hard to get someone to work on it.. After all they did officially state last year that they wouldn't be doing any further RC product development until their financial situation improved and would instead focus on other parts of their business. The bottom line is the radio still works. If they find a major bug, they always have the option to hire a consultant and have them fix the bug. As for adding new features I suspect they simply aren't interested in investing any more money in a transmitter that makes up such a small portion of their revenue.
Old 11-29-2017, 05:01 PM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ZB
Sorry to burst your bubble, but 28 was not best and on cutting edge even when brand new. If anything it helped kill JR, tons of wasted money on expensive obsolete product. JR would do much better investing money and bringing basic features like speech and voice to existing radios.
Says the USA Jeti dealer...
Old 11-29-2017, 05:29 PM
newshoundaussie

Originally Posted by Doug Cronkhite
Says the USA Jeti dealer...
Here Here Doug!! Thought he had stop. I could not give a Rats ***** about speech and voice or ZB and Jeti. I will never buy one because of him.

Last edited by newshoundaussie; 11-29-2017 at 05:32 PM.
Old 11-29-2017, 05:29 PM
warbird_1

Originally Posted by ZB
you are a Jedi guy so why are you lurking here spreading disinformation ? I think your time would be best served if you stayed over on the jeti site helping jeti users with their issues
Old 11-29-2017, 07:26 PM
PropsnWings
My Feedback: (9)

I went back to find it, the guy removed it.. not sure of the reasoning. It did look legit.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:33 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by ZB
LOL speech and voice.... I can't really imagine 2 features I'd want less than those hahaha
Old 11-30-2017, 02:42 AM
Gordon W

Originally Posted by LGM Graphix
LOL speech and voice.... I can't really imagine 2 features I'd want less than those hahaha
I think that it was on this forum a few years ago that someone described having a voice readout, via telemetry, of the airspeed of their jet as it changed during the landing phase. Something like 45 ... 43.....41.... 41.... etc which they found useful in getting the jet down at the same speed at the same spot every landing. It was that post that made me buy the telemetry ASI for my Gen 1 DX18. This doesn't have voice, just beeps, and I've set it to give a continuous beep when the airspeed falls to or below 38 mph. This is the ideal landing speed for my Wren 44 Gold Nano Boomerang coming in on our 66m long tree-lined sheep field grass strip, aided by flap, crow ailerons and splayed rudders for air-brake effect. It improved my landing accuracy no end as it enables a spot landing right on the beginning of the strip, and I like being able to have the brake-less jet stop while still on the short strip and not run over the end into the sheep-bombed part of the field. I'd expect that on a $$$$$$$ jet the voice feature described would be a handy asset in enabling repeated safe landings on less than ideal strips.

Gordon
Old 11-30-2017, 04:22 AM
warbird_1

Originally Posted by Gordon W
I think that it was on this forum a few years ago that someone described having a voice readout, via telemetry, of the airspeed of their jet as it changed during the landing phase. Something like 45 ... 43.....41.... 41.... etc which they found useful in getting the jet down at the same speed at the same spot every landing. It was that post that made me buy the telemetry ASI for my Gen 1 DX18. This doesn't have voice, just beeps, and I've set it to give a continuous beep when the airspeed falls to or below 38 mph. This is the ideal landing speed for my Wren 44 Gold Nano Boomerang coming in on our 66m long tree-lined sheep field grass strip, aided by flap, crow ailerons and splayed rudders for air-brake effect. It improved my landing accuracy no end as it enables a spot landing right on the beginning of the strip, and I like being able to have the brake-less jet stop while still on the short strip and not run over the end into the sheep-bombed part of the field. I'd expect that on a $$$$$$$ jet the voice feature described would be a handy asset in enabling repeated safe landings on less than ideal strips.

Gordon
LOL if we are starting a wish list.. more important to me would be a low fuel warning sys of some kind . One of my biggest peeves is not knowing exactly how much fuel i have at all times. i have to time my flights per old school way and as we all know not every flight is the same. i either have to much fuel on board or a level that i'm not comfortable with . i have my fingers crossed that JR with move forward with improvements on their software
Old 11-30-2017, 04:24 AM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LGM Graphix
Ya, I can't imagine any value in the Tx telling me that the RF range is approaching it's limits, or that the switch I just flipped put the gyro in heading mode and not rate mode.
Or that I have 20% of my fuel left or that my current time left is 5 mins etc etc.

Nope I don't need none of that. Crap, I used to fly in the '80's with out any of that. Why do I need it now? I used to have a pager back then and used the payphone on the corner to call people back....worked just fine...why do I need this phone now that I can do my banking on or shop on????

Mike
Old 11-30-2017, 04:30 AM
Carsten Groen

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I wish we were back to horses and wagons instead of these modern cars. And planes, if humans were meant to fly we would have had wings....

The single most asked questions by users of my telemetry systems (both my standalone Android system, Futaba or Jeti) is landing speed, low fuel warning and flameout. I smile every time I hear some of my customers telling me that they just saved their plane / landing gear etc because of some of my equipment. Makes it all worthwhile.
Old 11-30-2017, 04:39 AM
warbird_1

Originally Posted by luv2flyrc
Ya, I can't imagine any value in the Tx telling me that the RF range is approaching it's limits, or that the switch I just flipped put the gyro in heading mode and not rate mode.
Or that I have 20% of my fuel left or that my current time left is 5 mins etc etc.

Nope I don't need none of that. Crap, I used to fly in the '80's with out any of that. Why do I need it now? I used to have a pager back then and used the payphone on the corner to call people back....worked just fine...why do I need this phone now that I can do my banking on or shop on????

Mike
because it's called technology and having that "crap" could save your airplane as well as keep someone from getting hurt because a person accidently runs out of fuel and options. you weren't one of those guys in the "80's " that was screaming the hobby is doomed because computer radios came on the scene are you?
Old 11-30-2017, 04:39 AM
warbird_1

Wink

Originally Posted by Carsten Groen
I wish we were back to horses and wagons instead of these modern cars. And planes, if humans were meant to fly we would have had wings....

The single most asked questions by users of my telemetry systems (both my standalone Android system, Futaba or Jeti) is landing speed, low fuel warning and flameout. I smile every time I hear some of my customers telling me that they just saved their plane / landing gear etc because of some of my equipment. Makes it all worthwhile.
lol
Old 11-30-2017, 04:43 AM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

because it's called technology and having that "crap" could save your airplane as well as keep someone from getting hurt because a person accidently runs out of fuel and options. you weren't one of those guys in the "80's " that was screaming the hobby is doomed because computer radios came on the scene are you?
It's actually called sarcasm my friend

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.