Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

GR 180 Turbine Build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

GR 180 Turbine Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 11:30 AM
muneebch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation GR 180 Turbine Build

Hi All,

As the title might hint, I am trying to build the Gr 180, which was designed by Gerald Rutten. As great as the turbine is, the plans provided by Gerald Rutten were lacking some details. These lacking details and my own lack of experience have put a lot of obstacles which I hope will be cleared here.

Firstly, I greatly lack the knowledge of starting and igniting a turbine, I have not come across any detailed procedure for starting Diy engines.
I prefer to use spark plugs that are used in automobiles, they can do the job but I don't know how to go on about it. The gas start option is too much trouble I suppose.

Secondly, the plans do not show the diameter of any fuel tubing, the min diameter I have available is 1mm ID tube, which I believe is too large for the fuel needles. I would like to know if it matters.

Thirdly, the plans do not show any fastenings for the Combustion chamber, they just show the CC attached to the NGV, I know not how.

Finally, I am planning on using full ceramic ball bearings since they need no lubrication and can run at extremely high RPMs, that would eliminate the separate lubrication lines. So would full ceramic bearings work?

Thank you

Muneeb
Old 03-07-2017, 09:16 AM
rupesh rupak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Muneebch,
welcome to the forum.
1. For start procedure, you need to read Kj66 build manual. You will get an idea. Search google for it.
2. No idea about spark plug.
3. The injector needle is generally 0.5-0.7 mm ID. OD not an issue.
4. CC gets attached to diffuser back through 3 stud fasteners. NGV is just press fit on the back of the CC.
5. AFAIK, No ceramic closed lubrication bearing goes above 55k rpm, I=you may use it for testing but for real flight or going above 100000 rpm..you will need GRW bearing