Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

A3 Super 2 Gyro from Hobby Eagle

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

A3 Super 2 Gyro from Hobby Eagle

Old 04-23-2017, 09:51 AM
Jgwright

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A3 Super 2 Gyro from Hobby Eagle

HOBBYEAGLE - ?????????????

Now I know that some of you are very stuffy about Chinese products especially if they are inexpensive , but thought I should bring this to your attention.

I was needing a gyro for my latest 2 planes and after studying the literature I decided what I needed was a 3 axis gyro that had variable gain from the Tx and also if possible a switch to turn it off. I have planes with 2 ailerons and 2 elevator servos so this was also required.

I looked at the Very expensive Cortex gyro at £235 and the i gyro. Both are well known and well respected but seemed over the top for my small planes.

I then spotted the Hobby Eagle gyros and after seeing that they had the right spec and had a small controller to easily adjust the settings at the field I ordered 2 of them. The price was £35 for the standard package of gyro, leads, usb adapter and the display box. The web site for Hobby Eagle (HOBBYEAGLE - ?????????????) has the manual available for downloading. It is well written in good english and easy to follow.

The gyros arrived promptly this week and I immediately installed them in 2 planes and took them to the flying field today. We checked the gyros were in the correct direction and set up one 3 position switch with 3 modes, off, ailerons only and 3 axis. The first takeoff of the Sting was with the gyro switched off and we switched on and set the gain to about 1/4. (In the software I set the gyros to 80%).

Immediately the plane was noticeably better both with just ailerons and with 3 axis. The gyro does all sorts of fancy stuff like 3d and auto levelling, but I had no need for them.

Dave Wilde then flew the Huckebein I have recently acquired and the results were even more impressive. I cannot see that anyone else has tried this gyro on jets and wondered why. The gyro comes with a capacitor to hopefully avoid any brown outs and I fitted them to both units.

Here is video of the Sting flying in 10 mph cross wind.

This gyro just couldn’t be as good as one costing 7 times as much…could it? Any one else tried them?

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2842 small.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	303.0 KB
ID:	2211204  
Old 04-23-2017, 07:02 PM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

I have a few of them in small foamies - EDF, 3D, and one Warbird. They work well. For example in my 63" F-7F Tigercat (Flightline Foamie) I have the airplane a little aft CG for my tastes without the gyro on. For flying with or without the gyro, I have programmed the usual mixes to make it fly like a pattern plane (rudder to aileron and rudder elevator mix) so it will hold true knife edge and slow rolls can be done accurately in spite of a powerful rudder to roll coupling tendency of the airframe. While I've set up the plane to fly true aerobatics without the gyro, such as described, I love what the little gyro brings to the consistency of the tracking and behavior in calm and in windy conditions (it's a light weight model afterall). It just "flies bigger". It flies well without the gyro and does not need the gyro for typical warbird flying but as a "pattern warbird" platform it is as responsive as it needs to be and yet as stable as it should be to fly accurately. I also have a small 52" long Mig-21 foamie that I love and it does not need a gyro. I flew several months without one, but when I fly it really, really slow and nose high... the wings rock quite a bit. Yes I know Deltas do that... but real Mig-21's don't rock back and forth at 120 Hz in slow flight and it makes the model look, well, like a model... So I put the gyro in to make the little -21 fly like a larger plane at high alpha and in higher winds. I've yet to be discouraged from flying this model in wind. The wing rock is gone with the gyro and she flies "bigger" but just the same, still - it's still a Mig-21, if you know what I mean. On 3D what I like is they give you confidence to get more aggressive and fly lower while pulling off the boilerplat maneuvers you'd normally only dare one mistake high. I've learned in 1 season what might have taken 2 or more.

I am not sure of their reliability over time... My experience is my experience but in terms of statistics, probably an invalid sample size! But for what they are, and the fact that you can get them for $20, and the fact that on my specific applications they have worked really well - I can not complain in the least in the applications I've chosen them for.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:19 PM
Eddie P

I wanted to add that what these cheaper gyros lack is a powerful setup took like the iGyro 3e and the Cortex has. I'll also say that the cheaper "pots" on the case are a potential point of issue that, among other things, could (probably) create gain "drift" a little in temperature changes or with inadvertent physical contact. While this is not such a big deal "all the time" - in a model where it's a bit larger, a bit higher performance, etc... it could be potentially be more noticeable or problematic. I'm also not sure what the failure modes are and if the failure mode is to stop servo movement, cause a hard over, or to revert to basic signal. Some of these things are more "known" in some of the more expensive gyros, while a lot is still admittedly "wishful thinking" in nearly all hobby grade equipment.

Still, these are potentially powerful tools for a powerfully reasonable price
Old 04-23-2017, 11:35 PM
Jgwright

Eddie

If you check there are no physical pots on this gyro which is why I selected it. All the setting is done by directly addressing the chip. It can easily be changed on the flying field by using the small hand held display. You can use a computer if you prefer. If the gyro looses power then the plane will crash, the same as if a Rx looses power. If it has a momentary interruption of power (a brown out) would need 8 seconds to reset. I believe this is the same for any gyro regardless of cost. You should check the manual, I think that this gyro is pretty much the same in adjustments as the expensive gyros. You can separately set the amount of gain on each of the surfaces, set the sensitivity etc. If you have S-bus you can even display the servo settings on screen with the one wire connection and set end points dead band etc. I would be interested to know what differences there actually are between this and the more expensive ones. Not sure that 'drift' will apply if the adjustments are in the chip.

Nice to have some feedback from people that have used them. I will of course report back if there are problems. After seeing mine one of our club members was keen to order one.

John
Old 04-24-2017, 03:49 AM
Henke Torphammar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use them too. The later versions with autolevel are really good. Not sure if they hover a plane like the cortex, but they are good and easy to setup using the display or even better the USB interface.
Old 04-24-2017, 04:13 AM
leemkl06

A3's are great gyros. I've used them on both edf's and turbines. The A3 II are even better since they will take SBus single line input and with my Jeti, I can have a really clean install on my smaller edfs. I replaced one with a Igyro SRS and flight wise, I really couldn't justify the cost increase but I felt the setup procedure of the igyro gave you better settings. Currently I use A3, A3 II, Igyro SRS and an Igyro Mercury ( all for different reasons). Also, a friend of mine has been flying a3's down at Georgia Jets and now more members are installing them. In my opinion it's probably one of the best gyros for the money.
Old 04-24-2017, 04:45 AM
erh7771
My Feedback: (30)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use them on as many jets as I can

Easy to program, plenty of features and reliable ...

I don't have a Cortex or IGyro but would love to know what the A3 doesn't have relative to those devices.

Last edited by erh7771; 04-24-2017 at 04:52 AM.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:23 AM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi John, from where did you buy it?
H
Old 04-24-2017, 07:08 AM
Jgwright

Harry

On Ebay there are several suppliers but the one I used was UK post.

EAGLE A3 Super II RC flight controller w/Gyro 3D AVCS for fixed-wing Half Set 3M

John
Old 04-24-2017, 08:03 AM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks John,
one thing I can't work out from the instructions is does it reduce the gain as you move the stick, does it do it independently for each channel, and can the rate of gain reduction be increased (by using the pc software or programming card) to suit those situations where less than 100% travel has to be used or those of us who like a high stick priority?
cheers
H
Old 04-24-2017, 08:46 AM
Jgwright

Harry

You may find the various videos on line helpful. This one explains the settings available via the software or on the programming box. The first half of the video you can skip past as its covers downloading the software.

The gain is a percentage that you can set separately for each axis. It can be adjusted for response rate and servo speed. The gyro as I understand it works by adjusting the surface to counteract the forces on the airframe that are causing uncommanded movement. If the amount of counter movement it produces is too high the wings, in the case of the ailerons will waggle and look like they are fluttering. Turning the variable gain down will stop this happening. However, you may like to takeoff and land with higher gyro gain setting and you can adjust the gain on the Tx accordingly. Strictly speaking the best way for a gyro to act is to vary the amount of gain by the airspeed. I am not aware of any gyro that works this way. I have found that approx 25% gain is a comfortable figure.

Now with a 3 axis gyro you need to adjust the gain separately for each axis to be sure you have it as you prefer. In this case you can set the 3 position mode switch up to help. It is freely assignable. The user defined mode allows you to select each axis separately one for each switch position,. This can allow you to determine the amount of gain you need for each axis by switching to each in turn and varying the gain and watching the action of the plane. Then when you land you can set the gain to different values for each axis, so each axis will be at optimum setting at the same overall gain setting when all axis are operative together.

I have used ACT gyros for many years on ailerons and this Hobby Eagle one works the same way and results are pretty much the same. In fact we flew the Huckebein with an ACT gyro first and I fitted the Hobby Eagle gyro in its place and flew it. I was concerned about the way the plane would respond and takeoff was with no gyro but soon after takeoff it proved necessary to have the aileron gyro on to stabilise it as the plane was really unstable. Turning the ailerons gyro on first was immediately better with the wings stable, but the plane must have been slightly tail heavy as it was sitting back and squirming about. Turning the full 3 axis made it instantly stable.

Hope this helps.

John
Old 04-24-2017, 12:37 PM
leemkl06

Originally Posted by HarryC View Post
Hi John, from where did you buy it?
H
MotionRc.com and rc-Castle.com
Old 04-24-2017, 01:49 PM
Eddie P

Originally Posted by Jgwright View Post
Eddie

If you check there are no physical pots on this gyro which is why I selected it. All the setting is done by directly addressing the chip. It can easily be changed on the flying field by using the small hand held display. You can use a computer if you prefer.
John
Indeed, looks like the A3 Super II that you have has no pots. I've been using the Hobby Eagle A3 Gyro / Stability System in some of my smaller planes... it does have a master pot, in addition to how you program the unit electronically through your transmitter, the pot is like a physical "master" gain. The A3 Super II, the one you are using, looks nice and as you say it has no pots. A pretty good deal and looks like a nice unit for under $50!

As far as the A3 Eagle Gyro goes, I did fly one plane with both a iGyro 3e and then the A3 Eagle Gyro- it was an FMS 57" P-51. I felt the iGyro 3e was much smoother in feel. This is not to say I did not like the A3. And a lot of this may in fact be due to the fact I was able to fine tune my iGyro in ways I could not on the A3. Perhaps the A3 Super II could meet the feel I had attained with the iGyro 3e, flying the FMS 57" P-51. The options and control available on the Super II looks really interesting.

I've got a Cortex in a turbine, three iGyro 3e's in giant scale prop planes and a high power composite EDF, and a couple Hobby Eagle A3's in smaller planes. Every one of these units does what I expect them to do and I do not feel the desire to take any out! I've even got a Flex Innovations/Potenza Aura 8 gyro in another 3d plane. I like that one as well but it operates slightly differently than the other ones as far a setup goes. Very powerful computer interface, if not a little complicated. Very good performance and feel though.

Last edited by Eddie P; 04-24-2017 at 01:59 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:36 PM
affas

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by leemkl06 View Post
A3's are great gyros. I've used them on both edf's and turbines. The A3 II are even better since they will take SBus single line input and with my Jeti, I can have a really clean install on my smaller edfs. I replaced one with a Igyro SRS and flight wise, I really couldn't justify the cost increase but I felt the setup procedure of the igyro gave you better settings. Currently I use A3, A3 II, Igyro SRS and an Igyro Mercury ( all for different reasons). Also, a friend of mine has been flying a3's down at Georgia Jets and now more members are installing them. In my opinion it's probably one of the best gyros for the money.
Hi,

How is setup/cabling done into Jeti rx?

Thanks Alf