Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Futaba and JR Sbus

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Futaba and JR Sbus

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 02:13 AM
Justflying1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Futaba and JR Sbus

I am thinking about converting my Jets to SBus as I like the neetness of the system. I would like some info from people who currently run the system in there planes with JR or Futaba. Things I would like to know are the availability of the product, how easy it was to set up, what you think for the money etc etc. Keep it civil as I want constructive information and not a s$@& fight.
Old 08-31-2017, 02:43 AM
jet-lover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been running Futaba S-Bus for years and it works great.

Availability never been a problem from Tower Hobbies, eBay, Amazon plus many other shops over the planet.
Old 08-31-2017, 03:18 AM
sirrom
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jet-lover
Been running Futaba S-Bus for years and it works great.

Availability never been a problem from Tower Hobbies, eBay, Amazon plus many other shops over the planet.
+1

I switched over to Futaba Sbus about 2 years ago and could not be happier.

Patrick
Old 08-31-2017, 05:41 AM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

sbus is awesome... Not sure I would go through the grief of retrofitting old planes though... Check out the Robbe 2018 battery backer. It allows s-bus wiring and doesn't care which servos or Rx's you use. You run one wire and clip on these little nodes that are programmable. You could do a mix of sbus and regular servos a long the same wire. That is not possible with the Futaba or powerbox system.
Old 08-31-2017, 06:36 AM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 126 Likes on 87 Posts

JR DMSS Xbus is in my opinion the best ever radio system ever. I flew a 104" 200mph jet so far away it was only a tiny dot.....never ever had a single radio glitch. If JR gets their production issues ironed out that would be the way to go.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:34 AM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I thought JR was out of business? They were very late to the sbus game.... Can you use both types of servos with their system?
Old 08-31-2017, 10:37 AM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

The Sbus is very nice for futaba and so is the powerbox bus setup. Some more info is needed to give you an accurate response. Will you be using a power system to manage loads and do you plan to use bus servos or use converters on standard servos. If you plan to run sbus on anything large or with lots of servos I recommend using a power system, either an emcotec(what I use and consider it the best) or powerbox which is just as good but is more restricted in flexibility in my opinion.
Old 08-31-2017, 11:13 AM
David Gladwin

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

Well, I have used Weatronics system since it first came on the scene in both fm and 2.4 versions with JR 12 X txs and the Bat 60. I also have a JR 28 X in X bus format in several models, a really superb system, but STILL way behind the quite brilliant Wea system. There are so many functions that JR X bus and Futaba S bus simply can't match.

My guess is that the new , imminent, Powerbox version of the Weatronics system will be the new "Gold Standard" .

We shall see !

DG.

Last edited by David Gladwin; 08-31-2017 at 11:17 AM.
Old 08-31-2017, 02:26 PM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by David Gladwin
My guess is that the new , imminent, Powerbox version of the Weatronics system will be the new "Gold Standard" .

We shall see !

DG.
Yip, we are waiting with bated breath.....
Old 08-31-2017, 03:05 PM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by DrScoles
sbus is awesome... Not sure I would go through the grief of retrofitting old planes though... Check out the Robbe 2018 battery backer. It allows s-bus wiring and doesn't care which servos or Rx's you use. You run one wire and clip on these little nodes that are programmable. You could do a mix of sbus and regular servos a long the same wire. That is not possible with the Futaba or powerbox system.

It us now thd Emcotec 2018 which is the actual manufacturer. It will accept rx signals from any radio brand.

http://www.espritmodel.com/emcotec-dpsi-2018-power-distribution-system-s-bus-w-telemetry.aspx
Old 08-31-2017, 03:39 PM
Justflying1

Thanks for the information so far. As to supplying you guys with more info well I'm not sure what to say. It's all new to me so I'm not sure on exactly what I need to run or going to run. Currently I am running DSMX and DSM2. So to me all the new JR and Futaba is new to me. At the moment I'm just trying to see what people are using and how they are running it. At my local Jet club the majority run Futaba with a few running JR/ Spectrum
Old 08-31-2017, 04:11 PM
ZB

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Here you can see how the bus system is working, the Emcotec 2018 is simple click and play system.
It can be used with JR, Futaba, Grauner, Jeti systems.

Old 09-01-2017, 03:51 AM
Justflying1

That's a great bit of info. The Emcotec is what I see a lot of guys use on there jets and Intairco does sell and support this product. I always thought that I had to have a Futaba radio to run this sort of set up. It's good to see that it supports other brands. I also thought that Emcotec was Futaba product. LOL
Old 09-01-2017, 04:48 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Justflying1
That's a great bit of info. The Emcotec is what I see a lot of guys use on there jets and Intairco does sell and support this product. I always thought that I had to have a Futaba radio to run this sort of set up. It's good to see that it supports other brands. I also thought that Emcotec was Futaba product. LOL
It was private labeled by Robbe/Futaba in Germany before Robbe closed it doors.
Old 09-01-2017, 09:52 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Well, I have used Weatronics system since it first came on the scene in both fm and 2.4 versions with JR 12 X txs and the Bat 60. I also have a JR 28 X in X bus format in several models, a really superb system, but STILL way behind the quite brilliant Wea system. There are so many functions that JR X bus and Futaba S bus simply can't match.

We shall see !

DG.
As always, Weatronics has a *long* way to go to catch up in market share. They are so late to the game that almost everyone has settled on a system that works for them. The benefits for the Weatronics system will have to be clearly evident for anyone to want to switch. So far, their advertised benefits don't appear to be that compelling. That is ESPECIALLY true in light of their reputation for TOTALLY non-existant customer support or product availability - at least in the US...

I have *never* seen a Weatronics radio at a US jet event - at least not that I can recall...

Bob
Old 09-01-2017, 12:38 PM
David Gladwin

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

You do not seem to be up to date with developments!

Weatronics as such no longer exists after the death of a major shareholder and the pulling of support by his estate.

The company closed and was bought by Emmerich Deutch of Powerbox, who make, as you may know, superb electronics. Emmerich personally told me he considered the Weatronics system to be exceptionally good but his team found some shortcomings in the BAT 60 transmitter and decided to redesign it.

This will result in a new Powerbox transmitter, which Emmerich assures me will be class leading.

As I said, we will see, but based on Powerbox,s fine reputation, I, for one, very much look forward to its arrival.

Yet again today, my Wea system was working beautifully in my most complex model, my FC Mig 29 back home after a number of flights at Classic Jets.

You may not have seen a Weatronics system in the US ( I have, Lance Campbell's SR 71 for one) but ask Olnico ( Ultimate Jets) why he held, holds, the system in such high regard !

DG.
Old 09-06-2017, 03:12 AM
SkyKnight
My Feedback: (67)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DrScoles
I thought JR was out of business? They were very late to the sbus game.... Can you use both types of servos with their system?
Hi Dr. To answer your question, yes you can use either the older PWM servos or the new NX servos with the new JR DMSS radios. To use the PWM servos, a converter is needed to control the servos. JR is not out of business and the new production facility is coming up to speed with inventory arriving at a pretty steady pace.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:31 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

You do not seem to be up to date with developments!

Weatronics as such no longer exists after the death of a major shareholder and the pulling of support by his estate.

The company closed and was bought by Emmerich Deutch of Powerbox, who make, as you may know, superb electronics. Emmerich personally told me he considered the Weatronics system to be exceptionally good but his team found some shortcomings in the BAT 60 transmitter and decided to redesign it.

This will result in a new Powerbox transmitter, which Emmerich assures me will be class leading.

As I said, we will see, but based on Powerbox,s fine reputation, I, for one, very much look forward to its arrival.

Yet again today, my Wea system was working beautifully in my most complex model, my FC Mig 29 back home after a number of flights at Classic Jets.

You may not have seen a Weatronics system in the US ( I have, Lance Campbell's SR 71 for one) but ask Olnico ( Ultimate Jets) why he held, holds, the system in such high regard !

DG.
Oh, I'm quite aware of the fate of Weatronics and the new arrangement with Powerbox... Around here, we still call that "vaporware."

When/if anything comes to market, we'll see at that time... Still, being that late to market, given the increasing capabilities and proven robustness of competing systems for most flyers, and with the lingering memories of the Weatronics complete lack of customer service, it will be an uphill battle gaining market share

Bob

ps. I do know a couple of people who have a Weatronics system - I've just never seen them use it. As far as Lance's SR-71 is concerned, I must admit I did not realize that he was using Weatronics - I'm always watching the plane, not Lance's transmitter...

Last edited by rhklenke; 09-06-2017 at 08:37 AM.