Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Ultra Flash pilot needed - AZ

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Ultra Flash pilot needed - AZ

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 11:16 PM
outkast1779

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultra Flash pilot needed - AZ

Hey all! Are there any Ultra Flash pilots near the Phoenix area available to coach one day? This is my first turbine so I’d like to have someone next to me familiar with it. It was flown and set-up by a sponsored pilot, just needs to be put in the air. I can fly out of Sun Valley Flyers in north Phoenix or Arizona Model Aviators in Apache Junction.
Jet has a Jetcat Titan with propane start. Lunch on me! Thinkin about Nov 11th.
my experience, proficient in:
Ducted sport jets up to 90mm 150mph 5’ wingspan.
Prop sport planes up to 30cc size 3D flying.
Electric and Fuel heli’s up to 90 size minor 3D flying.
private pilot.

im ready for TURBINE!
Old 10-24-2017, 05:56 AM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Keep the nose slightly down on approach. Once its leveled out about 1' - 2' above the strip, keep the nose up slightly until the plane lands itself. If you try to set it down before its ready, it will bounce. The UF is scary fast. If you try to fly it slow it will stall. I have been flying jets for 3 years and this move to a UF was a huge change for me. Probably not a good jet to learn on. Make sure you get an experienced UF person to help. I had several very experienced jet pilots helping and was getting conflicting tips until I linked up with a UF pilot. Good Luck!
Old 10-24-2017, 06:38 AM
arizcowboy
My Feedback: (14)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Tony Quest out at cave creek has probably logged in more flights than any of us on the ultra flash ! Do you have a waiver ? Will be glad to help . Terry

Last edited by arizcowboy; 10-26-2017 at 04:34 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:08 AM
outkast1779

Len, 100% of everything you mentioned is what I've heard so far. The deal was so good on the jet... I had to buy it as my "trainer" (much like one buys a Lamborghini for their first car).
I found a great slow flight video, this has got to be the slowest she'll go. I'm OK with this. My Super Sniper 90 is slippery, I practice a lot of slow flight.

Terry, I'll shoot you a text and see what we can set up! I do not have my waiver yet. You sure you wanna keep your number up on the Interwebs? The whole world might try to call you!
Thanks guys.

Last edited by outkast1779; 10-24-2017 at 07:12 AM.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:24 AM
arizcowboy

No problem think my picture is at the post office tooooo
Old 10-24-2017, 09:48 AM
Si_B

I think the most challenging part of flying the Flash is the landing. I’m not a huge fan of super slow flying, seen all sorts of jets damaged doing that.

If if you get it slow and pull it too tight I guess most jets will snap and then the fun starts.

Definite thumbs up for flying with someone who knows the Flash.

Simon
Old 10-24-2017, 10:02 AM
outkast1779

I hear ya, but in contrast, slow flight with jets is my personal favorite. I love the way it looks, the challenge, and it really helps with the landing comfort-ability. After I trim out a new jet I fly slow figure 8's for the whole first flight. This way I spend a lot of time in turns. Makes that first landing a breeze.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:07 AM
Si_B

Totally agree, my thing is being super smooth. We all have something which ticks the box eh!!

I enjoy the contrast in speed but if she is full of fuel I’d be wary of the Flash if it’s slow and banked over excessively. Personally never seen one snap but I’ve heard a few stories.

Hoping to fit my new turbine this week and hope to get one more session before the weather gets too wet or cold.

Simon
Old 10-24-2017, 10:13 AM
outkast1779

Yea, real shallow banks for sure! Get that turbine in!
We've got it pretty lucky over here in the valley, barely ever rains.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:18 AM
Si_B

I’m in the UK, sun is rarely out here !!

You will not be disappointed with the Flash, I get excited putting it in the car.....just how a jet should be !!

Simon
Old 10-24-2017, 11:35 AM
txshan130
My Feedback: (114)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dude, if can land the super sniper 90, you should have no problems whatsoever with the flash I use to have a SS90 with retracts and that was one of the hardest planes to land lol. A lot of these heavy edfs are way harder to fly than some of the turbine jets. Only thing I would say is to make sure you at least have a little headwind. I used to have a 160 in mine and sometimes it would just float on by on a dead calm day.
Old 10-24-2017, 01:20 PM
outkast1779

txshan, that gives me great relief! I've had my best landings with that SS90. I was amazed after the first time I landed it, she just came right on in and settled perfectly. But funny, I feel like I'm doing SO much work to land the smaller Habu 32!
Here's my UF in the hands of the previous owner.

Old 10-24-2017, 02:27 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Notice the crow in the ultra flash flying slow. That is no accident!
Old 11-05-2017, 06:21 PM
outkast1779

Hey ArizCowboy,
Either my private messages aren't getting sent or my control panel isn't showing that I sent them.
Either way, Gonna be out at Sun Valley Flyers Saturday. You should come flying! Weather is perfect (finally)
Old 11-05-2017, 06:24 PM
arizcowboy

test flew a friends jet sat and we both flew all day today at speedworld next weekend will be at a fun fly in Florence , just checked messages got one never had a notification or calls

Last edited by arizcowboy; 11-05-2017 at 06:28 PM.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:44 PM
outkast1779

Cool, sounds like fun!
I'd come down but I need to get this waiver knocked out so I can fly at the jet rally on the 17th at Arizona Modelers Association in Apache Junction. Apparently now you must be buddy-boxed for the waiver.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:54 PM
arizcowboy

Yes you need to have a buddy box and a Current Cd turbine waiver holder and a AMA turbine pilot to sign you off . Best thing to do is make arrangements ahead of time so it can be handled . Terry

Last edited by arizcowboy; 11-05-2017 at 07:03 PM.
Old 11-05-2017, 07:03 PM
outkast1779

Originally Posted by arizcowboy
Yes you need to have a buddy box and a Current Cd and a AMA turbine pilot to sign you off . Best thing to do is make arrangements ahead of time so it can be handled . Terry
YUP,
Talking with Tony Q about it tomorrow afternoon.
Also trying to figure out why I keep getting a temp failure during start-up.
Old 11-05-2017, 07:04 PM
arizcowboy

What turbine
Old 11-06-2017, 06:45 PM
outkast1779

OK got her up and running (Jetcat Titan SE), needed to adjust the pump voltage. Also did a test with throttle stick position after the startup sequence. Found that as long as the sequence starts it doesn't matter if you leave it at full throttle position or bring it down to idle as long as the trim is all the way up. Love the sound!! ... Let's see what the neighbors think.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:49 AM
andretorres89
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by outkast1779
Len, 100% of everything you mentioned is what I've heard so far. The deal was so good on the jet... I had to buy it as my "trainer" (much like one buys a Lamborghini for their first car).
I found a great slow flight video, this has got to be the slowest she'll go. I'm OK with this. My Super Sniper 90 is slippery, I practice a lot of slow flight.
https://youtu.be/P31k5rvFKwo

Terry, I'll shoot you a text and see what we can set up! I do not have my waiver yet. You sure you wanna keep your number up on the Interwebs? The whole
world might try to call you!
Thanks guys.
Thats a video of me flying in Northern California.

I do have crow mixed on full flap down as ravill mentioned.

I can send you my flight settings if you wish

Andre.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:45 PM
outkast1779

Originally Posted by andretorres89
Thats a video of me flying in Northern California.

I do have crow mixed on full flap down as ravill mentioned.

I can send you my flight settings if you wish

Andre.
Ha! that's awesome, small world. This is absolutely my favorite UF video (because anyone can go fast, the real skill is making em' crawl).
As of now I'm going to leave everything where it is with regards to radio settings. The radio and Rx came with the purchase so everything is ready to go. After I get used to the plane I'll switch the radio equipment to my own JR / XPS stuff.
However, I would like to know where you have your CG. From my ground check observation, my UF has a good amount of up elevator while the stick is neutral. Two things to note: 1. I was told my UF had a climbing issue at full throttle. So I'm thinking since there is up elevator at neutral stick this must be level flight at cruise speed. 2. There were two 5000 Li-Ion batteries in the nose (one waaaay at the tip).
A nose heavy airplane will require up elevator to fly level - and increased speeds will induce an exaggerated climbing tendency due to the up elevator trim.
Naturally this is all conjecture, but it makes sense.
I know it's recommended to be slightly nose heavy but I don't want to go overboard. Do you have a bunch of weight in your nose?
Old 11-08-2017, 11:13 PM
andretorres89

Sure is a small world. I enjoy flying this airplane really slow and just pud around with it.

The UF will naturally fly straight and level with up elevator trim. For flap settings you will need down trim for level flight.

My CG is just in front of the mains.

Hope that helps.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 11-09-2017, 03:55 AM
SECRET AGENT
My Feedback: (18)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by outkast1779
(because anyone can go fast, the real skill is making em' crawl).
It's interesting to see different peoples perspectives because I've always found the opposite to be true, fast in my opinion takes much more hand eye coordination because you have to react so much quicker. Flying slow to me is what you do when the stress of flying really fast starts to get to you, HA!

Enjoy your new plane no matter how you like to fly it! Good luck.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:01 AM
andretorres89

Originally Posted by SECRET AGENT
It's interesting to see different peoples perspectives because I've always found the opposite to be true, fast in my opinion takes much more hand eye coordination because you have to react so much quicker. Flying slow to me is what you do when the stress of flying really fast starts to get to you, HA!

Enjoy your new plane no matter how you like to fly it! Good luck.
Dont get wrong, I also enjoy flying it fast as well, and those of you that know me have seen this flash fly faster than most

This aircraft is great; it's a 3 in 1. Aerobatic, fast, and slow! Let us know how your maiden goes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.