Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

FAA registration

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

FAA registration

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 06:34 AM
jofunk

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts
Default FAA registration

Time to register the models for anyone who missed it last timeName:  spacer.gif
Views: 1033
Size:  43 BytesDear members,

Last month, we shared new information about the FAA's UAS registration requirement, which Congress has reinstated.

Today, we are writing to let you know that President Trump has signed this bill making UAS registration a federal requirement again, including for AMA members.

For more information and frequently asked questions, please visit our federal registration page.

Thank you,
AMA Government Relations
Old 12-13-2017, 07:56 AM
luge_racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

*thumbs down*
Old 12-13-2017, 07:58 AM
SECRET AGENT
My Feedback: (18)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many years was the original one good for?
Old 12-13-2017, 08:15 AM
patf
My Feedback: (4)

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

from the link:

Q: If I already registered, do I have register again?
A: You will not have to register again since this bill simply reverses the John Taylor case. We will share more as details emerge.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:21 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by SECRET AGENT
How many years was the original one good for?
If you didn't have them remove and ask for a refund, then your original registration is good for 3 years
Old 12-13-2017, 08:29 AM
Arnold773
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess it is time to break out our orange jump suits again
Old 12-13-2017, 08:59 AM
AEROSHELDON
My Feedback: (99)

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
If you didn't have them remove and ask for a refund, then your original registration is good for 3 years
I didn't ask to be removed but I got a refund for adopting early--that is not the same, right?
Old 12-13-2017, 10:12 AM
ltc
My Feedback: (3)

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Arnold773
I guess it is time to break out our orange jump suits again
I think we start off with an orange high visibility vest ... eventually we will be asked to wear orange jump suits and be shackled together on the flight line.

I'm OK with wearing a vest ... I can put on the back "Not a threat ... I don't own a multirotor"
Old 12-13-2017, 11:51 AM
BarracudaHockey

Originally Posted by AEROSHELDON
I didn't ask to be removed but I got a refund for adopting early--that is not the same, right?
If you registered, whether or not you were within the window to receive a refund, and you didn't un-register and ask for a refund after the Taylor case, then you do not have to register again.
Old 12-13-2017, 02:57 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

The John Taylor case needs to be reopened and the judge needs to order an injunction based on the previous ruling.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:27 PM
ravill

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

I vill comply vith vhat ever mein fuhror decrees!

(dddddddrrriiiipppppinnnng with sarcasm)

I never unregistered. Pretty soon, we're gonna have to register to walk out of our doors. And ask permission.

The republic is lost gentlemen. Atleast it is still the best country to live in and be from, but barely still.
Old 12-14-2017, 05:22 AM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I knew this would happen, glad I kept my #'s in my planes. It's a great way to get some kind of control over the current situation. The future is in unmanned flight, it is no longer about a small group of hobbyists, we have to look at the bigger picture. None of this will affect me because I fly at a private club over an open field and follow all of the AMA rules, we just got sucked into this because of the changes in technology.
Old 12-14-2017, 05:24 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I like registering because it makes me feel like a real world pilot. Now we can share airspace, right?
Old 12-14-2017, 05:28 AM
BarracudaHockey

Originally Posted by Desertlakesflying
The John Taylor case needs to be reopened and the judge needs to order an injunction based on the previous ruling.
I'm curious why you feel that would help?

The Taylor case held that the law was that the FAA couldn't make a rule affecting model aircraft.

The FAA got congress to change it to a law and charged the FAA with enforcing the law.

Taylor had nothing to do with registration itself, only that the FAA improperly enacted a rule which happened to be registration.
Old 12-15-2017, 05:29 AM
geneh-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

A few years ago the FAA stopped us from flying our jets at a small airport by telling the owner they would either shut him down or fine him for allowing RC to fly there. I wish that I had enough money to sue the FAA for not allowing registered pilots to use the airport just because our planes are small. This is a small airport that we had been flying at for years with no problems and the blessing of the manager. The AMA needs to push this if we must register but cannot use the airports like all other registered pilots.
Old 12-15-2017, 05:37 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by geneh-RCU
A few years ago the FAA stopped us from flying our jets at a small airport by telling the owner they would either shut him down or fine him for allowing RC to fly there. I wish that I had enough money to sue the FAA for not allowing registered pilots to use the airport just because our planes are small. This is a small airport that we had been flying at for years with no problems and the blessing of the manager. The AMA needs to push this if we must register but cannot use the airports like all other registered pilots.
This is second-hand or third-hand information, but I'm not sure I would have believed the owner's claim that the FAA made him do that. If, if fact that *was* the case, then I'd like to know exactly what FAR violation they would have cited the owner for in order to "fine him or shut him down."

If its a private airport or a community airport that does not receive any Federal funding, then the FAA really has no authority to tell the owner how to run their facility. Even if they do, there are plenty of airports that allow, and even encourage, RC activity with the full knowledge of the local FAA folks. There is no prohibition for that in the FARs that I am aware of.

Bob
Old 12-15-2017, 06:08 AM
geneh-RCU

This was not second or third-hand information. How do you know? I spoke to the airport manager in person about this and for your info this airport did receive federal money for some upgrades. This is when the problems started. The manager told me that he loved having us fly there and was forced to stop it against his wishes.
Old 12-15-2017, 06:38 AM
rhklenke

This was not second or third-hand information. How do you know? I spoke to the airport manager in person about this and for your info this airport did receive federal money for some upgrades. This is when the problems started. The manager told me that he loved having us fly there and was forced to stop it against his wishes.
So the airport manager told you that was what the FAA told him. That's second hand information. I'm not casting dispersion on anyone, but it is very questionable because even if they did get some Federal money, there is no FAR that contains a prohibition against RC operations at a full scale airport - and it is done all the time at many airports around the country with full knowledge of the FAA.

The one thing that is not allowed is *closing* an airport to full-scale traffic for a non-aviation event. The FAA policy is that RC flying is, in fact, a non-aviation event, so if an airport receives federal money, it can not close for RC operations. At many airports where there is a sanctioned event, it is held on a closed runway, but the other runways remain open to full scale traffic - that is allowed. If its a single runway airport, then RC operations must give way to full-scale operations at all times.

To threaten an airport operator with fines or shutdown due to RC operations is way above and beyond what in my experience (which is fairly extensive on this subject) is typical for any FAA person so it does call the airport owner's statement into question.

BTW, we fly RC at a full-scale, dual use (county airport and National Guard airfield) with an operating control tower. The FAA controllers in the tower let us know when the field is not being actively used by the military and often ask us to come out more often so that they have something to watch on those long days when nobody is there...

Bob
Old 12-15-2017, 06:50 AM
geneh-RCU

I understand about the rules. The point is that the airport manager was told a bunch of bs by the FAA to stop RC flying. I have sent an email to the AMA about this but have not had any reply at all. I guess they are busy with registration.
Old 12-15-2017, 06:54 AM
rhklenke

I understand about the rules. The point is that the airport manager was told a bunch of bs by the FAA to stop RC flying. I have sent an email to the AMA about this but have not had any reply at all. I guess they are busy with registration.
If you PM me with the details, I'll attempt to followup with the AMA on this, if you want...

Bob Klenke
JPO President
Old 12-15-2017, 10:08 AM
SECRET AGENT

You can't discount the possibility that the airport manager made up the FAA story to make them the "bad guy" for running you guus off and not him.
Old 12-16-2017, 05:02 AM
obiwan12
My Feedback: (9)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm completely amazed by how many people actually signed up for this model registry during the first round. I for one have not and will never register for it. There simply is no reason to abide by some random tax generated by the government all for the sake of safety. The government is merely taking away more freedoms in the guise of public safety, profiteering, and a power grab. If we were united in our stance in that no one enrolled in this model registry, that would send a greater signal to those morons then all the internet speculation and trolling could ever accomplish. In the end all I can do is applaud Mr. Taylor for his valiant efforts to rebuke tyranny.
Old 12-16-2017, 05:30 AM
SECRET AGENT

Originally Posted by obiwan12
I'm completely amazed by how many people actually signed up for this model registry during the first round. I for one have not and will never register for it. There simply is no reason to abide by some random tax generated by the government all for the sake of safety. The government is merely taking away more freedoms in the guise of public safety, profiteering, and a power grab. If we were united in our stance in that no one enrolled in this model registry, that would send a greater signal to those morons then all the internet speculation and trolling could ever accomplish. In the end all I can do is applaud Mr. Taylor for his valiant efforts to rebuke tyranny.
So instead of stepping up and taking the goverment to task in court over this tyranny, you're just gonna tell us how awesome you think you are for ignoring the law. Cool.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:17 AM
u2fast
My Feedback: (37)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

im going over to george bush airport and taking my 87lb weight waivered corsair. i will notify the tower of my tail number and that i intend to take off, get in the pattern and shoot touch and go's.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	5-30-17 934.PNG
Views:	57
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	2247838   Click image for larger version

Name:	5-30-17 002.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	2247839   Click image for larger version

Name:	5-30-17 890.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	923.3 KB
ID:	2247840  
Old 12-16-2017, 09:54 AM
oliveDrab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Safety?

Originally Posted by obiwan12
.... I for one have not and will never register for it. There simply is no reason to abide by some random tax generated by the government all for the sake of safety.
Huh? What?!? Safety not required when flying heavy aircraft at 200+ mph?

Last edited by oliveDrab; 12-16-2017 at 10:29 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.