Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Pilot-rc Predator 1.8m

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Pilot-rc Predator 1.8m

Old 04-17-2019, 12:55 AM
  #51  
GregDonaldson777
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: United Arab emirates
Posts: 5
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Hi Gents
Just finished assemble a 1.8m for one of the guys at the local club.Will test fly this weekend.
What has your findings been with the CG?Is the factory CG ok?It looks nose heavy to me.

Greg
Old 04-20-2019, 03:02 PM
  #52  
Jeremy_D
 
Jeremy_D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Central Coast, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 1,074
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Hi Greg,

Factory CG is fine. Make sure you balance this with the gear up and uat full. This has been confirmed by Tony at Pilot. Mine was slightly tail heavy as I balanced with gear down and it’s quite a shift backwards when they retract.

You will I’ll need a few clicks of up trim. Below is a photo of how mine is. I’ve had six flights now on mine and I have to say it is a superb flying jet. It’s very stable in the air and flies beautifully on the M70xbl

Also take off flap works great as in the video below. The only throw I changed from the manual was my aileron as they were a little bit to lively for me

Here’s some video from one of my flights yesterday. Sorry about the poor quality, need a better camera.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TvrDXk...ature=youtu.be



Old 02-04-2020, 06:30 PM
  #53  
Desert Fox 1
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 216
Likes: 0
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default


Cheers!
Desert Fox 1
Old 02-06-2020, 01:43 AM
  #54  
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)
 
bodywerks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Elgin, AZ
Posts: 3,848
Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts
Default

What was that maneuver at 1:35???? Half-snap split S???
You could stand to have more flaps for landing, and crow is your friend, about 3/16-1/4" up aileron is all you need. I have about 55-60 degrees of flap and 5/16" crow on my 2.2 predator. Practically lands itself. You might also be a little tailheavy. It seemed very pitch sensitive. As Jeremy said, level flight should require a bit up up trim if the CG is dead on.
Old 02-06-2020, 02:12 AM
  #55  
Jeremy_D
 
Jeremy_D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Central Coast, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 1,074
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Iíve now got twelve flights on mine and am very happy with how it flies and handles. I havenít added any crow in but I might set it up for the next flights and see what changes it makes to my final approach and landing.

Overall itís a great jet, good size for transport and really economical on fuel as I find Iím using just over a litre for a seven minute flight on the M70 which is great!! I hadnít flown in six months and it was great to get back on the sticks last weekend with a great flying jet

Cheers

Jeremy



Old 02-06-2020, 07:19 AM
  #56  
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)
 
bodywerks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Elgin, AZ
Posts: 3,848
Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Jeremy_D View Post
Iíve now got twelve flights on mine and am very happy with how it flies and handles. I havenít added any crow in but I might set it up for the next flights and see what changes it makes to my final approach and landing.

Overall itís a great jet, good size for transport and really economical on fuel as I find Iím using just over a litre for a seven minute flight on the M70 which is great!! I hadnít flown in six months and it was great to get back on the sticks last weekend with a great flying jet

Cheers

Jeremy


For the money, any predator is going to be hard to beat. I only have as many flights on my 2.2 predator. It has a bit of coupling, and rolls aren't very actual, but I probably just didn't get lucky enough on setting it up right the first time. Other than minor tweaks, it's phenomenal! I went with a Rebel for the smaller jet option, great flyer, too!
Old 02-07-2020, 06:58 AM
  #57  
Flyin_Low
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lawrenceville, GA
Posts: 36
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by bodywerks View Post
What was that maneuver at 1:35???? Half-snap split S???
You could stand to have more flaps for landing, and crow is your friend, about 3/16-1/4" up aileron is all you need. I have about 55-60 degrees of flap and 5/16" crow on my 2.2 predator. Practically lands itself. You might also be a little tailheavy. It seemed very pitch sensitive. As Jeremy said, level flight should require a bit up up trim if the CG is dead on.
That maneuver is called "Stall" not advisable...lol...
According to the xicoy I am about .2lbs nose heavy with the gear down so I think I am pretty good on that.
That was my second flight and I am still getting the feel for this bird and still setting everything up. Coming from an HSD F16 turbine to the predator means I don't have to fly at almost wide open throttle and a few other adjustments (like this plane actually flies pretty well). I have added some crow to my landing flaps and I will see how that goes on my next flight. Once I get everything trimmed and set to how I like it I will turn on the gyro. I appreciate the advice

Last edited by Flyin_Low; 02-07-2020 at 09:01 AM.
The following users liked this post:
bodywerks (02-07-2020)
Old 02-07-2020, 07:37 AM
  #58  
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)
 
bodywerks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Elgin, AZ
Posts: 3,848
Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Flyin_Low View Post
That maneuver is called "Stall" not advisable...lol...
That was my second flight and I am still getting the feel for this bird and still setting everything up. Coming from an HSD F16 turbine to the predator means I don't have to fly at almost wide open throttle and a few other adjustments. I have added some crow to my landing flaps and I will see how that goes on my next flight. I appreciate the advice
I love honesty! If your cg isn't front of wing tube, get it there. I can only assume the 1.8 is a little brother to the 2.2m, and on that note, the predator is a pu$sycat with a 'mildly' forward cg - and this, coming from a guy that has always preferred an aft cg.
Old 02-07-2020, 03:04 PM
  #59  
Flyin_Low
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lawrenceville, GA
Posts: 36
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by bodywerks View Post
I love honesty! If your cg isn't front of wing tube, get it there. I can only assume the 1.8 is a little brother to the 2.2m, and on that note, the predator is a pu$sycat with a 'mildly' forward cg - and this, coming from a guy that has always preferred an aft cg.
Thanks Werks! Honesty always works best for me. I have learned over time that looking at what I can do better as an RC pilot will make me better in the long run. I can't wait to see how the added crow will help with my landing approaches.
Happy Landings!!!
Old 02-07-2020, 03:23 PM
  #60  
Jeremy_D
 
Jeremy_D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Central Coast, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 1,074
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Keen to hear how the crow goes too...Are you running your landing flaps at what’s recommended in the manual or a little bit more? Good save from the snap as well!
Old 02-07-2020, 06:20 PM
  #61  
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)
 
bodywerks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Elgin, AZ
Posts: 3,848
Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Jeremy_D View Post
Keen to hear how the crow goes too...Are you running your landing flaps at whatís recommended in the manual or a little bit more? Good save from the snap as well!
I'm closer to 55į on my 2.2m
Old 02-08-2020, 03:38 AM
  #62  
Flyin_Low
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lawrenceville, GA
Posts: 36
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Jeremy_D View Post
Keen to hear how the crow goes too...Are you running your landing flaps at whatís recommended in the manual or a little bit more? Good save from the snap as well!
Hi Jeremy, Thanks, that snap scared the crap out of me. I actually did not measure the flap travel (perhaps I should...lol...) I just took them down to what I thought looked good. I kind'a figured I was close and would eventually set them to where I wanted them anyway so I just started there. The only thing I was really careful about was the CG. That is really close to the man. rec. I will let you know how the crow goes next time I get to the field. I really can't wait to turn on the smooth flight gyro and see what that does.
Old 03-03-2020, 03:29 PM
  #63  
Desert Fox 1
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 216
Likes: 0
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default


Cheers!
Desert Fox 1
Old 03-04-2020, 02:07 AM
  #64  
Flyin_Low
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lawrenceville, GA
Posts: 36
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Flyin_Low View Post
Hi Jeremy, Thanks, that snap scared the crap out of me. I actually did not measure the flap travel (perhaps I should...lol...) I just took them down to what I thought looked good. I kind'a figured I was close and would eventually set them to where I wanted them anyway so I just started there. The only thing I was really careful about was the CG. That is really close to the man. rec. I will let you know how the crow goes next time I get to the field. I really can't wait to turn on the smooth flight gyro and see what that does.
Hi Jeremy, I added 6% elevator crow on takeoff flaps and 12% on landing flaps and I think that is about right.
Old 03-04-2020, 02:57 PM
  #65  
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)
 
bodywerks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Elgin, AZ
Posts: 3,848
Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts
Default

Crow on take off flaps kind of defeats the purpose of take off flaps. I'd get rid of it for take off n only keep it for landing.
Old 03-04-2020, 03:02 PM
  #66  
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)
 
bodywerks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Elgin, AZ
Posts: 3,848
Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Desert Fox 1 View Post
https://youtu.be/JFnDcubRMYI

Cheers!
Desert Fox 1
nice flight. I see your brakes are as smooth and equal as mine on my 2.2m predator, lol!
Old 03-04-2020, 03:32 PM
  #67  
Flyin_Low
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lawrenceville, GA
Posts: 36
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by bodywerks View Post
nice flight. I see your brakes are as smooth and equal as mine on my 2.2m predator, lol!
I'm glad I am not alone...lol...
The following users liked this post:
bodywerks (03-04-2020)
Old 03-04-2020, 08:16 PM
  #68  
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)
 
bodywerks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Elgin, AZ
Posts: 3,848
Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Flyin_Low View Post
I'm glad I am not alone...lol...
global jet club has a gyro brake controller. I just got one. Might put it inline for this jet.
Old 03-05-2020, 02:17 AM
  #69  
Flyin_Low
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lawrenceville, GA
Posts: 36
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by bodywerks View Post
global jet club has a gyro brake controller. I just got one. Might put it inline for this jet.
I have the Spektrum Smooth Flight which has a gyro for the steering but... I have yet to turn on the gyro. I know this might sound crazy but I want to get to know the flight characteristics of the plane before I turn the gyro.
The following users liked this post:
bodywerks (03-05-2020)
Old 03-05-2020, 10:10 AM
  #70  
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)
 
bodywerks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Elgin, AZ
Posts: 3,848
Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts
Default

I have switched to xicoy gyro gear controllers. Game changer. For braking, you need gyro controlled brakes, not just steering.
I can fully appreciate getting to know the plane before gyro. All my jets have as3x capability, but I have yet to use a gyro.
Old 03-06-2020, 01:13 PM
  #71  
MikePS
 
MikePS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 83
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

Just pulled the trigger on this. I have the 2.2M Predator and have a spare K100G that needed a home, so this is where it'll live. Should arrive next week....as much pre-build is done on these I'm hoping to maiden in a couple weeks.
Old 03-06-2020, 07:43 PM
  #72  
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)
 
bodywerks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Elgin, AZ
Posts: 3,848
Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts
Default

100 should be fun! I have a 170 in my 2.2M Predator and I consider power 'adequate' for my flying style. I wouldn't be mad if it was a 190 instead!
Old 03-07-2020, 04:48 PM
  #73  
sipixx
 
sipixx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: SC USA
Posts: 39
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

How is the wing tube in the 1.8 predator? Mine seems too small almost loose in the carbon fiber cross tube in the plane? Anyone else have the same
Old 03-08-2020, 06:04 AM
  #74  
Flyin_Low
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lawrenceville, GA
Posts: 36
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by sipixx View Post
How is the wing tube in the 1.8 predator? Mine seems too small almost loose in the carbon fiber cross tube in the plane? Anyone else have the same
Wing tube is snug for me....
Old 03-11-2020, 04:57 AM
  #75  
MikePS
 
MikePS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 83
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

Was planing on using the Pilot PY20AH servos, but they fell victim to the coronavirus...out of stock. What are you using in the 1.8M builds? I know a standard servo will fit in the wings, but its going to be pretty snug in the elevators/rudder. I see how they configured the servo cut-outs to accept a mini size servo, but not real comfortable using those with my build, considering I'll be on the heavy side using a K100.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.