Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

JET_TECH Fuel cell question or two

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

JET_TECH Fuel cell question or two

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 12:54 PM
CRAPTECH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JET_TECH Fuel cell question or two

I have a few questions, I have never assembled jet tech fuel cell before and have been searching several forum for some info, First: the screw in fuel fitting with o ring, does it need to be sealed with something or a dot of epoxy to keep it from loosening? next I have some tillotson type filters, they will not fit through the holes. do you all use them or just a big clunk. Hey thanks for the info. They are twin 80 for a Carf eurosport. I also have a very large set of tanks that came with the euro sport but they seem very fragile, but have a total of about one more liter of capacity. any thoughts on using the large Carf tanks?

Thanks again for any info
T Green

Last edited by CRAPTECH; 12-26-2018 at 02:39 PM.
Old 12-26-2018, 02:38 PM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Just use a large clunk inside the tank. There are plenty of opportunities to use a filter external to the tank.
Old 12-26-2018, 02:46 PM
CRAPTECH

thanks, yea I put it away and was out driving with my wife and figured it out. Put the filter on the fuel line, the slide the felt filter off the clunk on to the fuel line, put the clunk in the hole then compress the felt, force it into the hole, the pull the clunk with the fuel line and it will force the felt into place.
any suggestion the the screw in fitting, sealer?

T green
Old 12-26-2018, 06:50 PM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

As Steve Collins stated, you do not need a felt filter in the tank. Use a heavy clunk weight in the tank, and mount a good quality fuel filter(such as a JetCat filter) between the pump and the engine. This will catch any crud and any very small brass filings from pump gear wear.. Be sure to mount the filter vertically to keep air from being trapped in the filter. I have been doing it this way since 1998 or 1999 without any problems.
Old 12-26-2018, 07:30 PM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I was always leery of felt filters. Seems to me that early on I read of issues with them degrading over time and sloughing off fibers that can clog the tiny needles in the fuel manifold. Anyone else have a similar recall? I have stayed away from them for that reason.
Old 12-26-2018, 08:13 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Collins
I was always leery of felt filters. Seems to me that early on I read of issues with them degrading over time and sloughing off fibers that can clog the tiny needles in the fuel manifold. Anyone else have a similar recall? I have stayed away from them for that reason.
I heard the same thing but have had felt in my Flash for more than ten years with no problems.
Old 12-27-2018, 03:56 AM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

I heard the same thing back in the day too.
Old 12-27-2018, 05:28 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by CRAPTECH
I have a few questions, I have never assembled jet tech fuel cell before and have been searching several forum for some info, First: the screw in fuel fitting with o ring, does it need to be sealed with something or a dot of epoxy to keep it from loosening? next I have some tillotson type filters, they will not fit through the holes. do you all use them or just a big clunk. Hey thanks for the info. They are twin 80 for a Carf eurosport. I also have a very large set of tanks that came with the euro sport but they seem very fragile, but have a total of about one more liter of capacity. any thoughts on using the large Carf tanks?

Thanks again for any info
T Green
The seal with the O-ring doesn't need anything to seal it. The felt filters that CARF provide are excellent and I have used them for years with no issues. The CARF tanks aren't as fragile as they look to be. I used to worry about fiberglass tanks verses kevlar. In the early days when the jets would carry propane on board, the kevlar tanks were to help reduce the chances of a huge fire when wrecked. Now that propane isn't used on board by most, the chances of fire have been reduced. I've seen guys used Sullivan and Dubro tanks, and even pop bottles. I thought they were crazy, until it was pointed out to go drop a 2L soda and watch what happens. It may blow the top from the carbonation, but the plastic isn't going to tear. The strength of the tank is more for the wreck, then for daily usage. Now, I noticed that you have said that you are going to make this jet a twin. If this is your first jet, I am assuming this since you are asking common questions about the fuel tanks, a twin engine jet isn't a good place to start. One of the biggest issues that is with a twin, is keeping one engine from reading the other engine's rpms. You need to rotate the engines. If this is your first jet, I would highly recommend a single engine one. Good luck.
Old 12-27-2018, 06:46 AM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

If this is your first jet, I too recommend getting a single. especially if you are starting with a warbird. A single will save you a lots of $s when you crash it. Better yet, look at a training jet and better your chances of not crashing until you get a lot of experience. I personally don't like the filtered clunks. So much easier to clean an external filter and you need one between the fuel pump and the turbine anyway, … unless the turbine has the pump mounted in the turbine. Then they don't want any filter before the turbine because there is a filter under the cover too. O-Rings do not need sealer, unless there is a problem with the sealing surface. I am using a dubro tank in my Sprint. It is flimsy and has still held up well over the years. I personally have never used a pop bottle. But I have seen several out there and they seem to work. Only thing is they don't take full advantage of the space in smaller jets as well as a custom tank might. I go with whatever gives me the most fuel as there seldom seems to be enough.
Old 12-30-2018, 10:13 AM
CRAPTECH

Yes, it is my first jet build. I do have a boomerang elan that I got all together and have been flying giants for a very long time. I is just that I have never had jet tech tanks. and had a few questions. As for the felt filter, (why do they give them to you if you cannot get them in the tank) I am about 50/50 on them any ways.. I usually use a good inline filter on the gas motors . but looking for some input from the experts. don"t want to reinvent the wheel. When I got the jet, Comp ARF Eurosport, I got two set of tanks. the jet tech and a set of Comp ARFs. the Comp arf tanks look very fragile but hold a lot more fuel, but look very thin in some area. I thought that I would put in the jet tech at first then change them out to the big tanks later.( maybe) thanks for all the help and should have my plane ready in a few week.
it is a CARF eurosport with king tech 160g2.
thanks for the info, and it is only a single engine.
Happy New Years
T green
Old 12-30-2018, 12:30 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

The main advantage of the felt filter is that it is able to suck almost every drop from the tank.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:36 PM
RCFlyerDan

T. Green;
Welcome to jet’s. I’m glad to hear that you have the Boomarang. It is a good first jet. And more forgiving than the Eurosport. I am also glad to hear that it is going to be a single engine. You just don’t need the aggravation yet.
I think that you will find if you try the felt clunks with the CARF tanks, the clunk will go through the hole. JetTech is a supplier to CARF and an upgrade, just as the engines, radio equipment, etc. The felt clunk is made for CARF tanks. Or the CARF tanks are made for the clunk. Whichever way you want to look at it. Personally, I would just install the CARF tanks and not worry about them. I’m flying a CARF Viper and Lightning, both with CARF tanks. They both have a few hundred flights on them with no issues. The Viper I actually got in 2012. Both are in my picture gallery. The biggest trouble that you will have with any of the tanks, is having your fuel pump fill the tank at too high of a flow. This can and will blow the lines off inside and outside the tank. The other issue is cracking the tank, and it doesn’t matter which type of tank, both will do it.Make sure that you safety wire all of the fuel connections. Tie wrap is not tight enough. As far as filtering, the fuel can should have one, the UAT is another one prior to the pump and valves, and then there’s usually one after the pump prior to the engine. The felt clunk is just another filter prior to the UAT.
I hope that you have found someone to help you. I’m sure that you know you’re not supposed to fly them without the waiver. And, supposed to be on a buddy box. Bite your pride and do it. Just make sure that the guy can fly them, and has been instructing for awhile. Just because the club appoints him as the jet training officer, doesn’t mean he can fly or should be teaching. Flying large scale helps, if it is a heavy wing loaded, kit built warbird. If you have been flying 3-D, then you may have some issues. The reason for this, is that prop planes have a fake lift created by prop wash over the wings. This makes the plane fly and have flight control response. Jets on the other hand do not, and will not get out of trouble just by going to full power. Make sure that you also have your instructor teach you how to glide, if he knows how to glide. Believe it or not, most guys do not know how to glide, and didn’t learn in their primary training. I find that a lot with the guys that I train jets. I see guys wreck and total their airplane/jet when the engine quits for no good reason, other than poor training. Most make the mistake of giving up all their energy and diving it down to the ground going too fast, and land off runway, when they had the altitude and energy to have landed on the runway. They either put it on the ground too soon and flip it, or give up the energy and altitude, only to stall it into the ground. These jets cruise around at about 150 miles an hour plus. If a jet engine quits in level flight, you have approximately 100 miles an hour to lose to approach speed. This is a lot of energy management. The best is to maintain altitude as the speed bleeds off until reaching best glide. Best glide for a sports jet is the wing cord parallel to the horizon. For warbird jets or your Eurosport, wings level and go to a 5 degree angle of attack and plan your decent. Any higher of an angle of attack, then the jet is creating more drag than lift, causing a higher rate of decent. A flame out with either of my jets in level flight, both will glide at least half way around a large pattern. So, take your time and breathe. If you fly full scale and know this, I’m sorry to go through it, but it might help someone else reading this forum.

Take care! Dan
Old 12-30-2018, 01:09 PM
CRAPTECH

Originally Posted by RCFlyerDan
T. Green;
Welcome to jet’s. I’m glad to hear that you have the Boomarang. It is a good first jet. And more forgiving than the Eurosport. I am also glad to hear that it is going to be a single engine. You just don’t need the aggravation yet.
I think that you will find if you try the felt clunks with the CARF tanks, the clunk will go through the hole. JetTech is a supplier to CARF and an upgrade, just as the engines, radio equipment, etc. The felt clunk is made for CARF tanks. Or the CARF tanks are made for the clunk. Whichever way you want to look at it. Personally, I would just install the CARF tanks and not worry about them. I’m flying a CARF Viper and Lightning, both with CARF tanks. They both have a few hundred flights on them with no issues. The Viper I actually got in 2012. Both are in my picture gallery. The biggest trouble that you will have with any of the tanks, is having your fuel pump fill the tank at too high of a flow. This can and will blow the lines off inside and outside the tank. The other issue is cracking the tank, and it doesn’t matter which type of tank, both will do it.Make sure that you safety wire all of the fuel connections. Tie wrap is not tight enough. As far as filtering, the fuel can should have one, the UAT is another one prior to the pump and valves, and then there’s usually one after the pump prior to the engine. The felt clunk is just another filter prior to the UAT.
I hope that you have found someone to help you. I’m sure that you know you’re not supposed to fly them without the waiver. And, supposed to be on a buddy box. Bite your pride and do it. Just make sure that the guy can fly them, and has been instructing for awhile. Just because the club appoints him as the jet training officer, doesn’t mean he can fly or should be teaching. Flying large scale helps, if it is a heavy wing loaded, kit built warbird. If you have been flying 3-D, then you may have some issues. The reason for this, is that prop planes have a fake lift created by prop wash over the wings. This makes the plane fly and have flight control response. Jets on the other hand do not, and will not get out of trouble just by going to full power. Make sure that you also have your instructor teach you how to glide, if he knows how to glide. Believe it or not, most guys do not know how to glide, and didn’t learn in their primary training. I find that a lot with the guys that I train jets. I see guys wreck and total their airplane/jet when the engine quits for no good reason, other than poor training. Most make the mistake of giving up all their energy and diving it down to the ground going too fast, and land off runway, when they had the altitude and energy to have landed on the runway. They either put it on the ground too soon and flip it, or give up the energy and altitude, only to stall it into the ground. These jets cruise around at about 150 miles an hour plus. If a jet engine quits in level flight, you have approximately 100 miles an hour to lose to approach speed. This is a lot of energy management. The best is to maintain altitude as the speed bleeds off until reaching best glide. Best glide for a sports jet is the wing cord parallel to the horizon. For warbird jets or your Eurosport, wings level and go to a 5 degree angle of attack and plan your decent. Any higher of an angle of attack, then the jet is creating more drag than lift, causing a higher rate of decent. A flame out with either of my jets in level flight, both will glide at least half way around a large pattern. So, take your time and breathe. If you fly full scale and know this, I’m sorry to go through it, but it might help someone else reading this forum.

Take care! Dan
thanks Dan
No problems man, never have enough info. we have a group of folks that fly jet up here, they will not let me get into trouble. I was just curious about those thin tanks.
Thanks for the info and hope to meet up with you all one day.
Terry
Old 12-30-2018, 01:28 PM
Len Todd

The OEM tank for my CARF UFlash had a baffle glued in it. The glue failed and a chunk of it plugged the fuel line. After the flameout, which had no visual indication, the UF went into a spiral cause I was climbing and turning. I tried several control maneuvers to recover it, … apparently to no joy. When it dropped below the tree line, I was turning away to go get the truck for recovery, and I noticed the UF gliding out straight at me about 5-10' above the tops of the bushes. I dropped the flaps and gear and landed it on the runway. It's a free jet now. Anyway, back to the point, if there is an internal baffle, I personally am not sure I would go with the OEM's tank. I guess it depends on which OEM I was considering cause I used the T-One's OEM tank. Dreamworks and probably ultimately CARF, replaced the UF's OEM Tank with an aftermarket copy.

Definitely get linked up with some jet guys. Jets fly different and there is a lot of tech B.S. to making one that is reliable. Spend some time as a spotter and you will learn a bunch! I spent an entire season helping and spotting and I do not regret one minute of that season. I can not recall a time that I ever went to the field with the jet guys and did not learn something new.
Old 12-30-2018, 05:05 PM
RCFlyerDan

That’s a great story about your UF, the woods, and the glide! I was spotting for a buddy of mine. He was on a left base flying over a woods before turning final. One of the flaps failed with the jet rolling over on it’s back. It was a new jet and we were doing trim and gyro adjustment flights. So his first thought it was the gyro. He turned it off, only to still be out of control. During all of this the jet is traveling further away from us. On the last dive, I thought it was gone as it disappeared below the tree line. He was still fighting. I was waiting for the sound of fiber glass going through trees. Fortunately by this time, the jet had traveled past the woods over an open area. All of a sudden, the jet popped up going vertical! He had the flaps up by this time and under control and brought it safely back to the runway. Never quit fighting until there’s sound of impact or smoke.

I’ve had the Flash with that tank, along with both the Viper and Lightning have baffles. To me, IMHO and experience, what caused the glue to fail was pilot induced, I would say that the fuel can pump was pumping the fuel into the tank too fast causing the tank to expand. The expansion caused the baffling to be pulled away from the tank sides. The joint failed beyond its pull tensions. Either that fueling, but I bet that it was several fillings prior, then caused your flame out issues sometime later from the initial joint failure. We’ve all heard a tank with an expansion crack noise. That crack may have been the joint. Just a thought. And the reason why I bring up the fuel pump pressure in the previous response.

Last edited by RCFlyerDan; 12-30-2018 at 05:20 PM.
Old 12-30-2018, 07:59 PM
Len Todd

Your explanation for the failure could be fairly likely. On the new tank, I ended up putting in 3/16" fittings and lines to make sure there was adequate venting. But there is no baffle inside it. I also added the saddle tanks and a much larger hopper. I can get an easy 12 minutes out of the P-140. Nothing worse than worrying about running out of fuel.