Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Rebuilding BVM UAT. Source for brass fittings?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Rebuilding BVM UAT. Source for brass fittings?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 09:30 PM
jack01
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilding BVM UAT. Source for brass fittings?

Does anyone have a good source for the brass fittings on a BVM UAT? I've been all over McMaster-Carr and I couldn't find them.

Thanks!
Old 01-25-2019, 11:15 PM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

Did you misplaced the ones that came with it?

I have rebuild at least 5 of them, 3 recently, one of them is in my one flight Reaction, I had to modified a medium flat head screw driver to stop the brass fittings from turning when I was setting them in place.

You can use the vent fittings, sold at DW, they used red locktight on the fitting sticking out the cap of the bottle, I suppose it is to prevent air been sucked via the threads of the 6mm fitting, I used blue locktight, that's what I had and so far is fine.

Last edited by CARS II; 01-25-2019 at 11:24 PM.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:30 PM
CARS II

These ones.

http://www.dreamworksrc.com/catalogs...q=Vent+fitting
Old 01-26-2019, 02:33 AM
marc s

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In many threads the 'cost' of buying a purpose made UAT device is often criticised as being high, people commenting that the plastic bottle is only a few cents etc so how can they justify the prices charge etc, etc well lets take a look at this a little closer.

If you were to buy the bottle which might only be cents you then have to buy three of these fittings (shown above) thats $38.97 without shipping, add some form of filter, connection tube, solder or glue time and testing and I'm not sure you could do that for less than maybe $60, and thats without any mounting hardware etc or Festo type push fit fittings.

So whilst the cost of UAT's has climbed over the years looking at my CATM-V2 when I made it was €65 ($74 in todays money) is that really a lot of money for what you got? - I personally don't think so.

Its great people do make their own but in a lot of cases and this may well be one the cost of buying a purpose made device may not always seem as expensive as you first make out. Either way even now a good UAT is around the cost of one decent servo and could save your whole jet one day - still a small price to pay IMO.

Safe flying.

marcs
Old 01-26-2019, 06:11 AM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I use these from B & B Specialties to make my UAT's:

http://www.bennettbuilt.com/shop/Tank_Accessories--BB_Tank_Fitting_Set__Gas_Small_Filter.html
Old 01-26-2019, 11:07 AM
CARS II

Thank you Joe, I've been looking for those for a long time now, they are perfect to use for the fuel and smoke tank vents.
Old 01-26-2019, 01:48 PM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

If you're just looking for a vent these should work:

http://sullivanproducts.com/product/s476/

They're available at most hobby shops.

Joe
Old 01-26-2019, 02:43 PM
CARS II

Very nice indeed, that one can be use for the smoke vent and I've used those on my gassers as vent ports since I don't plug them any more.

Thanks again.
Old 01-27-2019, 09:40 PM
jack01
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys! I basically have a cap and the metal barrel that the filter bag connects to, but nothing else on the old UAT is usable, or at least anything I'd feel comfortable with. Long story...

Anyway, I already have all of the other parts to build a new/rebuild UAT except for the tube fittings. They're harder to find from the typical industrial suppliers than I thought. You'd think a 1/4-28 hose barb would be pretty easy to find...
Old 02-01-2019, 06:57 PM
CARS II

I was looking for the 6mm fuel line on the DW site and found these, these are the festo parts that is used on the UATs, now the only thing you need is to make the aluminum sox holder.

http://www.dreamworksrc.com/catalogs...mm+fuel+tubing