Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Powerbox Core radio and set up thread.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Powerbox Core radio and set up thread.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2021, 07:46 AM
husafreak
My Feedback: (3)

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

I put a screen protector on mine and the next time out it dumped a model memory, so I took it off. No way that was was the reason (right?) but I’m superstitious.
Old 03-16-2021, 11:31 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 735 Likes on 531 Posts

Nope, don't see it linked. Biggest cause of issues I see with customers is impatience on changing settings, it likes to think between some requests.
Old 03-16-2021, 12:33 PM
husafreak

Agreed. I’ve had numerous issues from frozen screens to lost model memories and even failure to display telemetry, so as much as I love my CORE (and I have dealt directly with PowerBox in honest attempts to resolve the issues) I would urge any CORE owner to take your time with this radio, let it do its thing, and verify proper indications and operation before taking off. Also back up your model files and learn to use the flight log files.
Old 03-17-2021, 01:48 PM
jcterrettaz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I have some problem with my 28X and I thing its time to switch to this incredible radio
What receiver you recommend for example for : a Carf Joker with Igyro 3 ,a Rookie 2 with ATV no gyro, and a JMB Mirage 2000 with I gyro 3
I will start with 3 receivers first , but no idea what to choose.

Old 03-17-2021, 01:58 PM
Dave Wilshere

Powerbox boss advocates using dual Rx's and redundant power supply, so really I would sell off your iGyro 3e's and buy Mercury SRS units. much neater than lots of wires run between devises.
If you have a dual power supply system already fitted you could go Power Expander and still use the 3e Gyro. Lastly if you have HV servos then a Pioneer is small and could be used with the 3e, but the micro iSAT gyro makes more sense.
There are actually other options, but again linking Rx's is messy.
Old 03-17-2021, 02:01 PM
jcterrettaz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks you Dave I appreciate the advice.
Old 03-18-2021, 10:18 PM
husafreak

In the hopes of getting some sage advice from one of my RC flying hero's (?) I would like to discuss CORE + Mercury basic set up options. Aircraft is my dear old CARF Hawk makeover. Besides replacing some fuel hardened servo wiring to the wing, new fuel lines, UAT sock, and batteries, it will get a new PowerBox electronics suite. Tx CORE. Rx Mercury with two PBR-26D. I'm trying to make some basic choices regarding Tx set up, the decisions you make when first loading a new model are complicated by the overlapping capabilities of the CORE and the Mercury. So I'd like to be advised on the simplest and most direct way to do it. I've seen both sides of this coin, the Royal in my Mephisto does all the work, while the Pioneer in my 120cc Extra 300 doesn't do much at all, everything is done in the CORE. So it's which path to take with the Mercury in this Hawk? I can assign and balance the aileron, flap, and elevator servos in the Mercury or assign them separately and use the CORE to do that. How about the rudder and nose wheel steering? On this jet an EV5 handles door sequencing so that is not in question. I have never used spoiler (up aileron) to flap mix in this model but I would like to do that now. So do I try to implement the CORE interpretation of "flight modes" or just fall back on traditional Tx mixes like I have always done with other radios? What do some of you that have done this many times now think about when doing the new model set up of a PowerBox equipped aircraft in your CORE?

Last edited by husafreak; 03-18-2021 at 10:21 PM.
Old 03-19-2021, 12:11 AM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I setup as much as possible in the CORE. I simply prefer to make all my adjustments from the transmitter and try to avoid going into my model to do anything.

So basically I would program the Mercury for the basics only. Then go to the CORE and apply all the servos to the various functions. The process dictate that you put all servos that are controlled by a specific function on that function and then in the servos set the amount of throw that you need when you use that function. So a butterfly and/or elevator compensation becomes a part of your flap function etc. The necessity of FM and mixers are greatly reduced if you do it that way and only the most basic mixers remain, like coupling aileron to rudder if you need it or using a throttle cut option.

Keep it simple and all on the CORE.

JanR
The following users liked this post:
husafreak (03-19-2021)
Old 03-19-2021, 12:23 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Springbok Flyer
I setup as much as possible in the CORE. I simply prefer to make all my adjustments from the transmitter and try to avoid going into my model to do anything.

So basically I would program the Mercury for the basics only. Then go to the CORE and apply all the servos to the various functions. The process dictate that you put all servos that are controlled by a specific function on that function and then in the servos set the amount of throw that you need when you use that function. So a butterfly and/or elevator compensation becomes a part of your flap function etc. The necessity of FM and mixers are greatly reduced if you do it that way and only the most basic mixers remain, like coupling aileron to rudder if you need it or using a throttle cut option.

Keep it simple and all on the CORE.

JanR
I don't think that's going to work and the reason I'm watching this thread is that I have exactly the same question about combining a CORE radio with Mercury PE:

Aren't we ignoring the issues with setting up the Gyro which has to be done in the Mercury, along with it's specified servo ports in order to make it work????
Old 03-19-2021, 01:15 AM
Springbok Flyer

Originally Posted by Zeeb
Aren't we ignoring the issues with setting up the Gyro which has to be done in the Mercury, along with it's specified servo ports in order to make it work????
The gyro is still part of the basic set up in the Mercury.

JanR
husafreak (03-19-2021)
Old 03-19-2021, 01:35 AM
Dave Wilshere

You have two choices on the gyro. Use the set up assistant and that will dictate outputs, or the way I do it is plug in the servos where I want them and manually/change program channels and gyro percentages.
I don’t tend to use the test flight assistant to set the gyro. I have customers who want every last percentage of gain on all axis, I don’t look for that as most of my models only really need gyro to help a little. I watch the guys flying where the gyro makes a point of the stop and it looks too automated to me.

But basic set up I give everything a channel in the Core, my Mercury has no matching going on.

Flight modes allowing flap to surface trimming on the three flap positions is what I do now.

Dave
Old 03-19-2021, 02:02 AM
Springbok Flyer

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere
You have two choices on the gyro. Use the set up assistant and that will dictate outputs, or the way I do it is plug in the servos where I want them and manually/change program channels and gyro percentages.
I don’t tend to use the test flight assistant to set the gyro. I have customers who want every last percentage of gain on all axis, I don’t look for that as most of my models only really need gyro to help a little. I watch the guys flying where the gyro makes a point of the stop and it looks too automated to me.

But basic set up I give everything a channel in the Core, my Mercury has no matching going on.

Flight modes allowing flap to surface trimming on the three flap positions is what I do now.

Dave
I basically do the same Dave. My gyro effect is also minimul and setup the same. I operate my flaps with one of the side levers and therefor stay proportional across the mixing dependant on the flap position.

JanR
husafreak (03-19-2021)
Old 03-19-2021, 02:31 AM
Zeeb

Originally Posted by Springbok Flyer
I basically do the same Dave. My gyro effect is also minimul and setup the same. I operate my flaps with one of the side levers and therefor stay proportional across the mixing dependant on the flap position.

JanR
I appreciate the input, but your original post only confused the issue for me.

Your post would suggest that that tx be ignored while Dave's post would suggest that you let the tx do it's thing?

More confused than before.

Guess I'll have to see if Richard will rescue me.......
Old 03-19-2021, 04:47 AM
Dave Wilshere

Ok, so we are all clear. The Tx controls each function on the model and also gyro control.
I have a 3 position switch so that the gyro can be off, on rate mode and on different rate/heading hold (attitude assist )
I can have a dial for gain adjustment-where I set the total travel down to say 50% to limit amount of gain and make the dial finer to adjust, it can then start at zero and be turned up.
These are both given different channels in the Core Tx and set to match in the Mercury gyro flight mode and gain.
husafreak (03-19-2021)
Old 03-19-2021, 07:13 AM
AEROSHELDON
My Feedback: (99)

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

Also,

reflex or crow does not need a mix. Simply call the function CROW and assign the aileron servos to it, then the flap switch activates it. Then simply set the travel.
Old 03-19-2021, 08:09 AM
husafreak

Thanks for a great morning read guys! I am basically in agreement with what DW and JanR are posting. Because also the set up of my Pioneer in the CORE was way easier (for me) than doing everything in the Royal.

To Zeeb I might add that there are a lot of things going on here and it helps to keep them separate, especially when dealing with Richard. He is more concerned with support than philosophy (that is his job) and has to deal with many different facets of the RC hobby so it is hard to get a discussion going there on multiple levels.

So to break it up a bit:
Regarding the gyro in the Mercury that is really another topic. The Mercury "flight modes" are gyro settings which must be assigned to a switch. It also needs a proportional slider or knob if you want to adjust gain "on the fly". The test fly assistant is a "wizard" done by the Mercury and I won't be using it. The gain on a knob initially is enough for me. And in the case of my CARF Hawk I've flown it for a decade with no gyro, so I won't be using much gain anyway. That is one reason I am not using a GPS. I may be wrong about this but it doesn't fly super fast or slow and it is very stable, so for this aircraft I passed on that feature.
DW makes an important point, the total gain can be "metered" using servo throw and the slider, so full slider travel will only give the gain allowed by the servo travel limit. I had initially forgotten that when setting up the iGyro SAT in my foam EDF Gripen. So, thinking I knew better than the CORE designers, I increased the travels to +/-100% across the board during initial set up. Let's just say you might not ever want your gyro gain at 100% on this type of aircraft, LOL, I found the Gripen to be very sensitive to gain adjustments.

It sounds like giving everything a channel in the CORE is the way to go, surface travels, balance, nose wheel steering slaved to gear switch, etc. all done in the CORE. Easy to work with, and the screen is bigger! Which is also great because I had already done that before posting. Now my mind is at rest

Now we have "flight modes" in the CORE. This I haven't tried yet but I guess I will now. In my set up I will do as suggested by DW. The flap switch will control three flight modes. Flaps up no mix, takeoff flaps to elevator mix, landing flaps to elevator and spoiler mix. I don't want to have the landing gear in my flight modes, it is not how I fly this plane. I notice that JanR uses a slider but I don't want to do that. But it did remind me of a question I have about servo speed. In JanR's case the elevator trim will move as fast or slow as the flap slider is moved (?) this is good. In my Mephisto I only need elevator trim with full flaps but instead of using flight modes I am using a flap to elevator mix in my CORE. Unfortunately this causes the elevator trim to kick in at full servo speed even though the flaps are traveling slowly, which is bad. I never figured out how to change this. Other Tx I am using have a flap to elevator wizard which allows servo slowing to affect both flaps and elevator trim during repositioning. While still allowing full servo speed from the elevator stick. I am hoping that by using the flight modes function for flaps the elevator and spoiler repositioning will be done at the same speed as the flaps travel. So that is a big question.

I couldn't help but laugh when the subject of gyro "hardness" and high gain was mentioned. It seems we are not immune to fads or trends in the RC jet community. I remember first seeing guys at our "Best In The West" jet meet doing those computer stop point rolls, it looked cool but very unrealistic. I asked and was told "oh, you need a gyro for that". Let's just say I have some gyros now, and I like nice crisp point rolls, but stop short of the robot style of flying!

Springbok Flyer (03-19-2021)
Old 03-19-2021, 08:18 AM
husafreak

Originally Posted by AEROSHELDON
Also,

reflex or crow does not need a mix. Simply call the function CROW and assign the aileron servos to it, then the flap switch activates it. Then simply set the travel.
OK, that is another way to do it. But how are servo speed and elevator trim compensation handled with this choice for actuating crow? Would it ultimately be easier or better to use flight modes or what you are suggesting?
Old 03-19-2021, 08:26 AM
AEROSHELDON
My Feedback: (99)

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

"I am hoping that by using the flight modes function for flaps the elevator and spoiler repositioning will be done at the same speed as the flaps travel. So that is a big question."

This can absolutey be done, I just don't have it in front of me to tell you how. Just don't click the one on the Flight Modes because that is
actually to NOT allow a slower speed.... we all did that wrong at first I think.

Crow is easier the way I do it in my mind, then you don't have any FMs other than flap to elevtor trim settings.
Old 03-19-2021, 09:17 AM
Dave Wilshere

You can slow the elevator too using delay. Too much going on just this second to think how I did it.
Delay is at the bottom of the screen so you have to slide down

D
husafreak (03-19-2021)
Old 03-19-2021, 01:41 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

Delay can be used with flight modes. I have a 3 position switch for flaps, that controls my flight modes, then you can set gyro gains and elevator trim per flight mode, then use the transition speed of the flight modes to match your flap speed settings so the trim comes in at the same speed as the flaps
husafreak (03-19-2021)
Old 03-19-2021, 02:04 PM
Dave Wilshere

What he said 🙂
That is how my UF flap/elevator mix is done. But I have a separate 3 position switch that starts the timer and activated the gyro option.
Old 03-19-2021, 03:46 PM
husafreak

OK, I’ll figure out the way with the flight modes as BarracudaHockey said. I think there is plenty of information online or in the manuals to do that.
Old 03-19-2021, 06:48 PM
husafreak

Research into CORE "flight modes" continues. I think i got some flight mode mojo going in my Mephisto (and other aircraft) just by selecting single instead of global and assigning the functions to a switch for different rates and surface travels, hmmm, I call it my flight mode switch but never went to the FM programming tree. That switch also changes the gyro settings (flight modes again) in the Royal. The videos are kind of funny, 3 PowerBox and a Martin P and they all basically say it is easy here is a flap to elevator solution, or you can mix in every switch on your transmitter but then you are on your own! I get the jist of it and see the fade in option so that is good. Using the gear switch to enable the flap modes is a potentially good idea as I can then fly with gear up and no spoilers in all flap positions and then only get the spoilerons with the gear down and landing flaps. Time to hook everything up and start playing around. Or maybe create a backup model and just look to the servo screen to see what is happening. The PowerBox Support forum didn't really cough up any all encompassing solution. Lots of specific cases though.

Last edited by husafreak; 03-19-2021 at 06:51 PM.
Old 03-19-2021, 08:43 PM
Zeeb

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Delay can be used with flight modes. I have a 3 position switch for flaps, that controls my flight modes, then you can set gyro gains and elevator trim per flight mode, then use the transition speed of the flight modes to match your flap speed settings so the trim comes in at the same speed as the flaps
Okay, neat enough for those of you who like my builder person, prefer the flaps on a switch. Myself and other licensed full scale pilots prefer to be able to select a flap deployment position base on conditions e.g. you NEVER land a full scale with full flaps in a crosswind, especially a swept wing.

I prefer using my left hand slider for flaps and use the center detent for the TO flap position. On landing, I can deploy whatever works in that particular landing. I'm NOT going to use the three position "flap" switch for flap deployment settings let alone gyro setup. Crosswind landings in a model Turbine are challenging at times and that is a major issue I seek to resolve by using a gyro setup.

We're getting way off in the woods by assuming everyone is going to use the three position flap switch/setup, for gyro and flap control.
Old 03-19-2021, 08:56 PM
husafreak

This is an open discussion you can use whatever you want to operate your flaps. The full scale argument doesn’t hold water. If the CORE had an 8 position switch I could make it just like my Boeing, three is enough for me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.