Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Powerbox Core radio and set up thread.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Powerbox Core radio and set up thread.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2021, 11:35 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by husafreak
This is an open discussion you can use whatever you want to operate your flaps. The full scale argument doesn’t hold water. If the CORE had an 8 position switch I could make it just like my Boeing, three is enough for me.
You can go to h*ll you arrogant SOB. The other guys in the cockpit could probably fly the airplane better than you, or were you actually in the left seat???? If so, it was most likely due to you being the oldest soul onboard the flight deck.

You see, as a licensed A&P mechanic, I have WAY more than one reason to hold you airplane "drivers" in contempt! None of you I've met personally deserve the title of "Pilot" as you do not fly the airplanes, just program the FMS, or "drive" them.

I have NEVER used the "flap" switch on any of my tx's or models and I do not intend to change that for your approval or one model.

How 'bout it, 'wanna go head to head in an F3A match, IMAC, F3S (that's Turbine aerobatics for you uninitiated souls) or any other model aerobatics contest?

My first comment stands.
Old 03-20-2021, 12:16 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 735 Likes on 531 Posts

Zeeb

Before this becomes a mug slinging contest could you list here or pm exactly what you need from the slider flap set up. It’s not my preferred option as I don’t fly with a strap or tray, but I have customers who want that option so I do end up flying some models set up like that.
Core can just about do anything, so once I fully get it I can work out a system for you

Dave
Old 03-20-2021, 01:55 AM
David Gladwin

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

[QUOTE=Zeeb;12669447 e.g. you NEVER land a full scale with full flaps in a crosswind, especially a swept wing.

.[/QUOTE]
Simply NOT true.
Old 03-20-2021, 07:11 AM
marksp
My Feedback: (9)

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Springbok Flyer
- Consider the flat Tx case rather than the upright version. Of course if you are going for the tray style Tx then you'll get it anyway. The problem with the upright case is that it falls over very easily when the lid is open and the Tx is out. It is also not very user friendly if you like to carry other bits in your Tx case.

Enjoy the CORE!

JanR
Now that I have the unit, circling back to the topic of the stand-up case. In addition to experiencing the issue JanR mentions, I’ve actually caught myself sliding the Tx into the case with the charging door open - yikes!

Be great if the folks at AeroPanda offered a CORE version of their custom transmitter case
Old 03-21-2021, 04:21 AM
David Gladwin

Originally Posted by David Gladwin
Simply NOT true.
I,d be interested to know what you are, have been, flying !
Spoke to two Airbus pilots, A 320 and 330 and two Boeing pilots, B737, 757, 767 and 787 pilots and instructors, plus my own experience on some military jets, news to us all. !

Last edited by David Gladwin; 03-21-2021 at 10:10 AM.
The following users liked this post:
blackcat (03-22-2021)
Old 03-21-2021, 04:26 AM
F1 Rocket

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by marksp
Be great if the folks at AeroPanda offered a CORE version of their custom transmitter case
We will have a Core version case soon

Danny
AeroPanda
Old 03-21-2021, 08:44 AM
marksp
My Feedback: (9)

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by F1 Rocket

Danny
AeroPanda
Right on...sign me up!
Old 03-21-2021, 10:40 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by F1 Rocket

Danny
AeroPanda
Nice!!!
Old 03-21-2021, 11:22 AM
Dave Wilshere

I guess if you all lived in Europe you wouldn’t have a problem. My box never falls over as I close the lid when I take the TX out...wet foam lining is no good for electronics.
Though I keep tools, battery checkers and other bits in the pockets, so it stands pretty well open.
Old 03-21-2021, 01:49 PM
AEROSHELDON
My Feedback: (99)

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

You can always make one. The little notch at the top is to grab it and remove it from the case.

Old 03-21-2021, 02:29 PM
Halcyon66

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

They don't come with cases in the US, or am I missing something?

Regards,

Last edited by Halcyon66; 03-21-2021 at 04:27 PM.
Old 03-21-2021, 10:04 PM
Dave Wilshere

They do, but the guys were saying the upright case falls over with the lid open and no Tx inside....
Old 03-22-2021, 01:21 AM
David Gladwin

So close the b....y case !!
Old 03-22-2021, 06:42 AM
AEROSHELDON

Heh, mine was laying around from an old Jeti that I used so I just stuck the Core in it. This way someone can knock it off a table and it will be OK in the Pelican case.
Old 03-22-2021, 02:18 PM
vilysakowski

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm just about finished with my 2nd Krill Extra 330SC 41%. This one has the newer Champion SRS and I was able to use the P2Bus port for both receivers on this one with no problems whatsoever. This Champion was purchased I believe about 6-8 months ago so its got the newer software update installed at the factory. I simply love this CORE radio! The more I use it, the more I love it. There is a bunch to learn about using this radio but it's pretty intuitive and straightforward once you dive into it.
Old 03-22-2021, 02:21 PM
AEROSHELDON

Glad it is working great for you !
Old 03-22-2021, 04:06 PM
jetnuno

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere
You don’t need to use free mixers with the Core. There are several ways to do everything, but having two servos move from one control you just add the servos to the function...and keep adding. With fixed elevator to flap mixing and CROW I have had 6 servos added to the flap switch and you can adjust each servo sing the flap switch as a controller. The aileron and elevator servos are still controlled by their own function.

Now with flight modes available Flap/Elevator compensation is best dealt with using the trims since they allow some adjustment throughout the models life.

Hi

I have just finished setting up my Hawk with the Core. Amazing TX for sure, full of hi tech stuff.

From where I stand, some functions are missing. I am in the forum reporting that, but no real feed-back abot this topic

What's the use to have a 17 point curve in the servo menu for 200% travel, when you only use 100%? In the end only 9 points are usable. The remaining are useless. Plus in a TX in this top of the line, you can't edit points in a curve, nor moving or deliting, just change the number of points? This would be a very simple change ---- just make an editable curve on the usable servo end points (130-140%)

For example, if you want to match elevator left and elevator right in the same function, using a 17 point curve, you can't do it. I thought you could use 33, but this is only available for mixing different fuction, not servos within the same function. I ended up matching the elevator servos using the servo menu, but using only 9 points as the maximum available. Enough? Yes. Could I use more if the menu was properly design? Yes, I could use the 17 points alegedly available. My old 12FG had 17 points available. 18MZ did it as well.

Matching servos this way it's more precise than using only 3 points on the PB and the proof of that is that the resulting matching curve it's not straight. less current comsuption, less mechanical wear and less chance of failure.

Another point that was not starightforward. I use the lights function with a 3 position switch, mixed with gear, using a unilight 8 controller, with only one channel

Gear down
1 - All lights off
2 - Position light on, Strobes on, Hud lights on
3 - Position lights on, strobes on , Hud and landing lights on

Gear up
1 - All lights off
2 - Strobes on, all other off
3 - Position lights and Strobes on, all other off

Because there is no menu that mixes servos, there is only a mixer for functions, I can't mix servo 12 with servo 12 (lights, activated by gear. I had to create 2 functions (lights with gear down) and (lights with gear up) and mix those funtions. Problem is that, servo 12 in the servos menus, both add the end points with both servos, making a complete mess on how to control the travel in each separate function and the curve.

I challenge you to try those ones...;-)

A lot of a redundant telemetry available, that you end up not using and some servo fine tune tools are missing. Too much important to program complex airframes and too important, to be left unattended

What I am trying to say is, there is Mixer for functions that is great, but a mixer for servos is needed. Will PB ear this? I am not sure....

Regards

Nuno

Last edited by jetnuno; 03-22-2021 at 04:19 PM.
Old 03-22-2021, 06:48 PM
Halcyon66

There is a lot missing for the Core, and yet more stuff that that is you will probably never use, Problem is you only find out when you buy one.

Lack of heli support is my concern and yet was never answered and never will be, a 100$ TX has more heli capacity that the core. Years of written promises in the forum and yet nothing.

Of course a few will chime in with the old it can do anything, yet I wonder how many would have bought the systems without the wizards.

Any questions asked in the forum that cannot be answered are simply met with "The core is not for you"

Regards,

Old 03-22-2021, 10:11 PM
Dave Wilshere

Originally Posted by jetnuno
Hi

I have just finished setting up my Hawk with the Core. Amazing TX for sure, full of hi tech stuff.

From where I stand, some functions are missing. I am in the forum reporting that, but no real feed-back abot this topic

What's the use to have a 17 point curve in the servo menu for 200% travel, when you only use 100%? In the end only 9 points are usable. The remaining are useless. Plus in a TX in this top of the line, you can't edit points in a curve, nor moving or deliting, just change the number of points? This would be a very simple change ---- just make an editable curve on the usable servo end points (130-140%)

For example, if you want to match elevator left and elevator right in the same function, using a 17 point curve, you can't do it. I thought you could use 33, but this is only available for mixing different fuction, not servos within the same function. I ended up matching the elevator servos using the servo menu, but using only 9 points as the maximum available. Enough? Yes. Could I use more if the menu was properly design? Yes, I could use the 17 points alegedly available. My old 12FG had 17 points available. 18MZ did it as well.

Matching servos this way it's more precise than using only 3 points on the PB and the proof of that is that the resulting matching curve it's not straight. less current comsuption, less mechanical wear and less chance of failure.

Another point that was not starightforward. I use the lights function with a 3 position switch, mixed with gear, using a unilight 8 controller, with only one channel

Gear down
1 - All lights off
2 - Position light on, Strobes on, Hud lights on
3 - Position lights on, strobes on , Hud and landing lights on

Gear up
1 - All lights off
2 - Strobes on, all other off
3 - Position lights and Strobes on, all other off

Because there is no menu that mixes servos, there is only a mixer for functions, I can't mix servo 12 with servo 12 (lights, activated by gear. I had to create 2 functions (lights with gear down) and (lights with gear up) and mix those funtions. Problem is that, servo 12 in the servos menus, both add the end points with both servos, making a complete mess on how to control the travel in each separate function and the curve.

I challenge you to try those ones...;-)

A lot of a redundant telemetry available, that you end up not using and some servo fine tune tools are missing. Too much important to program complex airframes and too important, to be left unattended

What I am trying to say is, there is Mixer for functions that is great, but a mixer for servos is needed. Will PB ear this? I am not sure....

Regards

Nuno
I’m trying to work out why you need so many points to match two identical servos, I presume the mechanical set up you start with is out of whack.
I would need to play with a set up to see what is possible,

Lights.
Having never set up a Unilight controller I have no idea what you need in pulse positions to achieve the light sequence you mention, since that’s all it must require there must be a way of achieving what you want.

Dave

Old 03-23-2021, 12:20 AM
jetnuno

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere
I’m trying to work out why you need so many points to match two identical servos, I presume the mechanical set up you start with is out of whack.
I would need to play with a set up to see what is possible,

Lights.
Having never set up a Unilight controller I have no idea what you need in pulse positions to achieve the light sequence you mention, since that’s all it must require there must be a way of achieving what you want.

Dave

Hi

You could assume the mechanical set up is just as good as it can be, right? And the more points in the curve, the better.

The point in this thread is the Core and its features, not the mechanical set up, you assumed wrong. If you read my post, 9 points is fine, while most pilots fly with a 3 point match in the powerbox.

Question here is that 9 the points in the menu are useless. 17 points would be better and 33 even better.

Wouldn't be nice to check it and correct?

Or, just blame the messanger...

you don't need a unilight controller to try that, just try to make a mix with the same servo within the same function and you will see what I mean. Don't use flight modes...
Old 03-23-2021, 12:59 AM
David Gladwin

My “hands on” experience tells me you DON’T need more points than the Core offers.

I have two Airworld Hawks each with two servos hard connected to the stab. 250 flights over 12 years.

To ensure the servos are perfectly matched, identical amperage at all points, I install a Hangar 9 ammeter in each servo line

I then adjust ONE servo to exactly match the other at center and end points and check the matching currents throughout travel.

Even though my Weatronics system has 36 intermediate points, I cant recall ever needing to adjust them at those intermediates.

My EXPERIENCE tells me the Core is MORE than adequate.

JR servos, now 8931 s with identical mechanical linkage.

My Core does not have as many points as the Weatronics ( on which Core is based) But is more than capable of perfect servo matching.

Last edited by David Gladwin; 03-23-2021 at 01:07 AM.
Old 03-23-2021, 01:19 AM
jetnuno

Originally Posted by David Gladwin
My “hands on” experience tells me you DON’T need more points than the Core offers.

I have two Airworld Hawks each with two servos hard connected to the stab. 250 flights over 12 years.

To ensure the servos are perfectly matched, identical amperage at all points, I install a Hangar 9 ammeter in each servo line

I then adjust ONE servo to exactly match the other at center and end points and check the matching throughout travel.

Even though my Weatronics system has 36 intermediate points, I cant recall ever needing to adjust them at those intermediates.

My EXPERIENCE tells me the Core is MORE than adequate.

JR servos, now 8931 s with identical mechanical linkage.

My Core does not have as many points as the Weatronics ( on which Core is based) But is more than capable of perfect servo matching.

Hi David

I also had a Weatronics in 35Mhz and it was an amazing tech package for those times

For the record I also had several planes (Hawks, Phantom, etc), with matched servos on the flying stabs, logging hundreds of flights, never had a problem.

Issue here is not how experienced are we, but the tools we have available to do the best possible set-up in the Core and it's nosense to wish for some Weatronic features available 12 years ago, to be available in the Core

That's my point here:

https://forum.powerbox-systems.com/f...4397#post54397

If no one wants to look at it. Fine for me.....

Br

Nuno

Old 03-23-2021, 02:33 AM
David Gladwin

Well, as I said, in my post, the Core does not have as many adjustment points as on the Weatronics, nor, in my opinion and again based on my experience with both Core and Wea. does it need them.

I rest my case, m’lord !

Last edited by David Gladwin; 03-23-2021 at 02:39 AM.
Old 03-23-2021, 12:29 PM
Halcyon66

"Issue here is not how experienced are we, but the tools we have available to do the best possible set-up in the Core and it's nosense to wish for some Weatronic features available 12 years ago, to be available in the Core"

12 yrs ago how about 24 yrs ago ( 1997), one of my old MC-24's still running perfectly and more Heli functions than a Core.

Considering the recent tie up with Multiplex (owned by Hitec) who has supported helis for ever and more recently multicopter airframes, a lot of Multiplex flyers are wondering if multiplex will drop their radio systems. Then they will be left with the Core and zero Heli/multicopter functionality.

To think the Heli and multicopter side of modelling is not worthy is rather strange.

Regards,

Last edited by Halcyon66; 03-23-2021 at 12:41 PM.
Old 03-23-2021, 12:44 PM
AEROSHELDON

I fly a Goblin 570 and Kraken 700 with my Core, and I am by no means some computer radio guru. With a flybarless it is just not that hard.

Multicopters I don't know about but I assume it's similar to the FBL's and should be easy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.