Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Powerbox Core radio and set up thread.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Powerbox Core radio and set up thread.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2021, 06:56 AM
husafreak
My Feedback: (3)

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

I picked the CORE for that reason mainly. Seems everyone I know that wanted out of the Spectrum rat race or JR changeover went to Jeti but I did not like the feel of that radio, and I did get to fly with it a few times. But the CORE felt completely natural in my hands.
Old 05-12-2021, 09:00 AM
marksp
My Feedback: (9)

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by IFLYBVM2
Considering the Core, and wondering whether very many of you guys have made any changes to the switch configurations, ie, locking switch, etc ? Or are the vast majority just using it stock ?
My current TX is the JR 12X, so just trying to make it is similar in layout to what I am used to as possible.
Thanks-Mike O
Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
I put a locking switch on the top/right/back for throttle cut but otherwise the switch layout is perfect
I also ordered with security switch (2POS-SL-A) in position D and had the HD springs installed.
Old 05-12-2021, 09:56 AM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RCFlyerDan
I have a buddy that flies the Core and another brand by Indicated Airspeed. He is very happy with the IAS telemetry. I want to know if the GPS speed/altitude is just as fast?
I have not done it, but understand you can buy a third party sensor to use with the cORE to get indicated airspeed.

Old 05-12-2021, 12:44 PM
David Gladwin

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgar Perez
I have not done it, but understand you can buy a third party sensor to use with the cORE to get indicated airspeed.
I have, works v well. See post 647
Old 05-12-2021, 02:55 PM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Considering the Core, and wondering whether very many of you guys have made any changes to the switch configurations, ie, locking switch, etc ? Or are the vast majority just using it stock ?
My current TX is the JR 12X, so just trying to make it is similar in layout to what I am used to as possible.
Thanks-Mike O
I customised the switch layout to match the layout I have used for many years on my 18MZ. Most of the switches can be user installed if you later decide to make a change - however two of the top front and the stick switches can only get changed in the factory and should be done initially if you so require. A personal warning about the two switches on the top rear - if you make these a long switch, please note that when you put the TX down on a grass surface and then pick it up (as I do sometimes, being an historical habit) from the side, you can trigger the long switch on the opposite side. In my case the switch is my throttle cut on some models and has resulted in a motor cut after starting. I am starting to teach myself to use the screen handle though. I also use the same switch for other functions on certain models and using a latching type switch is not an option. To solve this, I have now also made myself an extention to the two curved rests on the back of the CORE so as to lift the Tx higher off the ground, which solve the inadvertent switching but is also proving an improvement for me whilst programming the CORE.

You'll love the CORE and the fantastic PB support forum.

JanR
Old 05-12-2021, 03:19 PM
jcterrettaz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

ok about the lock switch: on my F5B glider I have the motor on-off on the retract switch , how I can secure or lock with 2POS-SL-A .. the motor switch..?
Old 05-12-2021, 03:47 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Thanks-Mike O
The physical location of various switches is almost identical to the JR 12X and it feels almost exactly like the 12X in your hands except that the "suede" type covering on the grip area is really nice.

The BIG difference between those two radios; you can make any switch, dial, lever or such, do ANYTHING you want it to do. Now there is a bit of a learning curve as PB has a different identification/nomenclature for functions than what you are expecting. There are a bunch of videos on programming the CORE out there, make use of them.

Bye the way, I still have my 12X as well as CORE radios.

I love 'em both
Old 05-12-2021, 03:55 PM
DUCMOZ

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Yes Zeeb, What ever is on 12 X will remain for now. New models + jets that were on 10X go to Core. I am just starting to play with it. It is a little scary at first but i am sure it will get better

Behzad
Old 05-12-2021, 04:33 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by DUCMOZ
Yes Zeeb, What ever is on 12 X will remain for now. New models + jets that were on 10X go to Core. I am just starting to play with it. It is a little scary at first but i am sure it will get better

Behzad
Yep, when I decided there would be no replacement for my 12X and bought a DX18, all the gassers and one Turbine stayed on the 12X. Got a couple of scale Warbirds on the DX18 but it's just too damn big for my hands. Went to the Futaba 18MZ/WC and that's where the rest of the Turbines and my Pattern planes are.

All of the other Turbines are being moved to CORE. My builder is actually a long time JR/Spektrum guy, but he learned to speak Futaba and now he speaks CORE pretty well. I've sold one MZ, the second one is a WC and it's up for sale now. I've got an 18SZ Anniversary Edition Futaba I'm going to keep but the DX18 will go bye bye and I'll keep the DX20 for time being.

It's a process no doubt. I've been trying to pick up the rest of the CORE components I need right now as the chip shortage deal has already caused PB to tell folks ordering CORE radios from their website, that no kind of delivery date can be promised.

Scott's vid's from the PowerBox systems website in Florida are pretty good. Martin Pickering on YouTube has some great stuff but he tends to get long winded and leave out important tidbits.

But when it works, it's great. My builder and I have been flying the Turbines as we get them converted which has been really fun as most of them haven't been flown before. I was pretty much forced to give up the hobby for about three years but it's been great to start flying models again.

Have fun, get Mike to help you......
Old 05-13-2021, 03:02 PM
T_CAT

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Hmm, sometimes I wish I had not come across certain threads because it encourages me to buy another radio. I read this thread, and now I want to try a PowerBox Core. I love my current radio, don’t particularly have a reason to switch, and I’ve only used it for a year. However, I’m tech. nerd, and love trying different transmitters of different brands.

I do wonder how robust the 2.4ghz is in very congested flying fields notorious for interference. Supposedly, a backup 900mhz has been said to not be necessary, and that’s why the Core doesn’t have it, but has this ever been tested in flying areas where 2.4ghz is troublesome?
Old 05-13-2021, 03:13 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

It performs flawlessly at Florida Jets, Joe Nall, Top Gun etc.
Old 05-13-2021, 03:15 PM
BarracudaHockey

Dug into setting up a CCPM 120 degree flybar heli today and while it took some tinkering there's no obnoxious mixes needed and I learned some cool stuff like its the first time I came across setting up priorities with flight modes.
Old 05-13-2021, 03:15 PM
T_CAT

That’s definitely good to know. This one has my attention. I know it is still in its infancy compared to many radios on the market, but it’s looking like it’s on the right path and hope it is successful and remains successful for many years to come. I look forward to seeing it progress.
Old 05-13-2021, 03:54 PM
jcterrettaz

Its a great radio for sure ..I find my answer about throttle cut..thanks Michael
Infancy ??? i don't think so
Old 05-13-2021, 04:18 PM
T_CAT

PowerBox isn’t in its infancy phase, since they have been around for many years. However, the Core radio itself I’d say is in its infancy phase relative to many radios. A couple years on the market isn’t much time in my opinion (even though I know about the Weatronics background prior to this). That doesn’t mean it isn’t great, and that’s not the intent of the word in this context. I think it’s amazing, and it’s progressing quick.

Last edited by T_CAT; 05-13-2021 at 04:21 PM.
Old 05-13-2021, 04:20 PM
jcterrettaz

Ok I understand T CAT
Old 05-14-2021, 05:35 PM
T_CAT

Can someone please confirm which toggle switches on the Core come standard as 2-position, 3-position, and momentary?

I’d likely switch a few out to my preference, so it would be easier to know which those would be.
Old 05-14-2021, 07:19 PM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Just look up the CORE order form on the website - there is a picture with all the switches as standard and the various options you can have.

Jan
Old 05-14-2021, 08:27 PM
T_CAT

Originally Posted by Springbok Flyer
Just look up the CORE order form on the website - there is a picture with all the switches as standard and the various options you can have.

Jan
Excellent, thank you Jan. I didn’t see that order form on the PowerBox America website or American vendors, but found the PDF Configuration order form on the main PowerBox Systems website. By looking at what is standard, the only different switch I want to order is a locking switch.
Old 05-15-2021, 03:43 AM
BarracudaHockey

Originally Posted by T_CAT
Excellent, thank you Jan. I didn’t see that order form on the PowerBox America website or American vendors, but found the PDF Configuration order form on the main PowerBox Systems website. By looking at what is standard, the only different switch I want to order is a locking switch.
Yep, thats what I did, one locking switch for electric throttle cut
Old 05-15-2021, 08:12 AM
T_CAT

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Yep, thats what I did, one locking switch for electric throttle cut
Yes sir, that’s the one .
Old 05-15-2021, 08:24 AM
jcterrettaz

Very practical for E motor on F5 glider, I'm using the retract for throttle on/off ...and this one for safety
Old 05-15-2021, 07:19 PM
T_CAT

Originally Posted by jcterrettaz

Very practical for E motor on F5 glider, I'm using the retract for throttle on/off ...and this one for safety
It is definitely one of the best switch ideas, and a favorite of mine. I did the same with my Jeti radio and will do the same with the Core.
Old 05-15-2021, 07:49 PM
T_CAT

It doesn’t appear the Core has an internal Bluetooth module, correct? If so, was there a particular reason why, or was it PB simply didn’t want to add it? I do see a headphones Jack, but like most things now a days, wireless transmission is clean and nice to have.

Bluetooth can come in handy for aspects like connecting a single earbud like an AirPod to transmit the radios sound/voice call-outs. This is especially nice when in noisy environments and flight lines.
Old 05-16-2021, 12:34 PM
T_CAT

Sorry, another quick question:

For any electric propulsion aircraft, such as 6S-12S LiPo jets that I fly, does the PBS-V60 come with a plug that adapts to insert into the balance tab on the LiPo(s)? I only see a small JST plug, but not sure if anytning is included or if I have to create my own adapter. I’ll have to see if the PBS-V60 is worth it or use a Jeti voltage unit somehow.

I’m assuming it reads the total LiPo pack voltage from the look of the unit, and not the addition of individual cell voltages as well (unless already possible). Individual cell recognition helps with alarms for an abnormal drop in voltage of one or more cells, etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.