Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Sport Jets - small vs big

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Sport Jets - small vs big

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2019, 07:29 AM
jimibar

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As a trainer jet, and when I'm saying trainer, I mean a jet to improve your skills and get more confident in flying jets, would there be a difference between an EDF and a Kero jet ?
Would the EDF be easier to fly ?
Old 10-10-2019, 11:55 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

An EDF will improve your jet skills.

What it wont do is fly 8 to 10 minutes per flight in most cases, which is a big reason for turbine vs EDF and they sound a LOT cooler
Old 10-10-2019, 12:08 PM
jet-lover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My hundred dollar free wing stinger 64mm EDF will do everything that a $10,000 or $30,000 turbine will do.

In fact in some ways, it is harder fly that a turbine because it is so small and fast, especially in gusty wind.

However.... Because it only cost $100, you have a big smile on your face.

When you're flying a turbine, although they can be bigger, and sometimes easier to fly because of their size, you can have the other massive issue, and that is the psychological element being the "what if I crash it!"

If you're a Sheik and you have a few spare complete backup turbine planes in the back of the truck, then you might not need to push through the psychological issues.
Old 10-10-2019, 04:04 PM
Joseph Frost

Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by jimibar
As a trainer jet, and when I'm saying trainer, I mean a jet to improve your skills and get more confident in flying jets, would there be a difference between an EDF and a Kero jet ?
Would the EDF be easier to fly ?
Mate, you are asking weird questions, if you are capable to fly under full control any electric or IC powered model with reasonable wing loading, lets say 80-100g/dm2, you should be able to handle any jet trainer at ease.
Any properly set up EDF jet model is a great way start to improve flying skills, before getting into gas turbines, tho, in many cases can be more difficult to fly, lacking the power and fly time compare to gas turbines.
With EDF, you are still landing the same AUW model, but less power avail as the batteries are getting lower, exactly opposite with turbines, where the model becomes lighter and livelier as the fuel level comes down with the flight time.
To start with, get someone well experienced to set it up and fly it for you first. That's what I did with my first one to be on the safe side.

My first turbine, the worse color to start with!

Next one was livelier, still going great after 13 years of enjoyment.

Now days I design my own.
Old 10-11-2019, 03:54 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

EDF I found can be much harder. Only good thing is instant power with EDF and also you can shut the fan off inflight creating extra drag to slow down. With a turbine your landing lighter but you need to work on getting the speed right. You have residual thrust to deal with and the lag it takes to get the turbine thrust back. When I did scale EDF jets back in the day they had a much higher wing loading and where much harder to fly then anything I have flown turbine.
Old 10-11-2019, 06:22 PM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by jet-lover
My hundred dollar free wing stinger 64mm EDF will do everything that a $10,000 or $30,000 turbine will do.

In fact in some ways, it is harder fly that a turbine because it is so small and fast, especially in gusty wind.

However.... Because it only cost $100, you have a big smile on your face.

When you're flying a turbine, although they can be bigger, and sometimes easier to fly because of their size, you can have the other massive issue, and that is the psychological element being the "what if I crash it!"

If you're a Sheik and you have a few spare complete backup turbine planes in the back of the truck, then you might not need to push through the psychological issues.
if you like speed, you need a turbine. If you like to fuel n go, you need a turbine. I'm a yes to both. So I lean toward turbine. Not that you can 'legally' do it, but 200mph+ is way easier to achieve with a turbine, or legally, 199.9mph...
I don't care for big turbines. I think it's more a d!ck swinging thing. More power to them, but Imo, anything bigger than about 2.3m isn't going to 'look' fast, even at 199mph. And a 2m jet will do anything a 3m jet will, and look faster doing it. 99% sure my 2.2m predator will be the biggest jet I ever own, Cuz I like the perception of speed.

Last edited by bodywerks; 10-11-2019 at 06:25 PM.
Old 10-12-2019, 10:56 AM
jimibar

Originally Posted by Joseph Frost
Mate, you are asking weird questions, if you are capable to fly under full control any electric or IC powered model with reasonable wing loading, lets say 80-100g/dm2, you should be able to handle any jet trainer at ease.
Any properly set up EDF jet model is a great way start to improve flying skills, before getting into gas turbines, tho, in many cases can be more difficult to fly, lacking the power and fly time compare to gas turbines.
With EDF, you are still landing the same AUW model, but less power avail as the batteries are getting lower, exactly opposite with turbines, where the model becomes lighter and livelier as the fuel level comes down with the flight time.
To start with, get someone well experienced to set it up and fly it for you first. That's what I did with my first one to be on the safe side.
I have experience with turbine and I'm flying my Havoc XE from E-flitesince a few weeks now.
The reason I'm asking is I need a daily trainer. That's why the subject of the topic was big jet vs small jet. I found my EDF way easier to transport as it is smaller but I'm terrible at judging if it is easier to fly than my jet.
I'm also looking for a jet trainer as I am going the big jet route now and I'm really scared at flying those even if I know they are easier. I'm looking for something to get confident and not be afraid when I'm flying a jet costing thousands of dollars.
Old 10-12-2019, 02:49 PM
Joseph Frost

Just enjoy what ever you fly, it is all about experience to make a comparison judgement.
Old 10-13-2019, 01:10 PM
jet-lover

Originally Posted by jimibar
I have experience with turbine and I'm flying my Havoc XE from E-flitesince a few weeks now.
The reason I'm asking is I need a daily trainer. That's why the subject of the topic was big jet vs small jet. I found my EDF way easier to transport as it is smaller but I'm terrible at judging if it is easier to fly than my jet.
I'm also looking for a jet trainer as I am going the big jet route now and I'm really scared at flying those even if I know they are easier. I'm looking for something to get confident and not be afraid when I'm flying a jet costing thousands of dollars.
My two favourite jet trainers are the free wing stinger 64, and the free wing Avanti.

Yes I fly turbines as well.

Most people in the know regard the free wing Avanti as the best EDF on the market today.

The stinger 64 is awesome for warming up the fingers and flying in any conditions irrespective of how windy it is. ( I have gyro in mine).

The stinger has no landing gear but easily takes off from grass.

Ton of fun for $100!

If you crash it, you just laugh!!!
Old 10-13-2019, 10:21 PM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

I have the avanti on an 8s setup. I can attest it is the best EDF on the market, and had been for the past 2 years. Flies decent on 6s, too
Old 10-14-2019, 05:35 AM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Freewing Avanti is definitely the way to go. For small turbine, in my opinion, the best would be the Sebart Mini Avanti.
Old 10-14-2019, 12:19 PM
jet-lover

Originally Posted by Steve Collins
Freewing Avanti is definitely the way to go. For small turbine, in my opinion, the best would be the Sebart Mini Avanti.
another option, I just put a Xicoy X45 turbine in a Freewing Avanti.

Old 10-16-2019, 12:00 AM
Henke Torphammar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Collins
Yeah, the 80mm Avanti is getting heavy if you go X45 or K30/K45G3. With Kolibri it's fine though. You need to size up to get things comfortable, what is best is always up to you but I would not call the Mini Avanti the best as it's a fairly low budget airframe with retracts that are very weak. It's spot in in size.

Also there might ne local regulations that simply don't allow fast planes (200mph limit?! in USA and I think 250mph limit in Germany). It's common that we throttle back on display flights just to stay under the 250mph limit for example. Or wome rewuire rudder and wheel brakes which eliminates the otherwise very convenient deltas. They are smaller then the 80mm Avanti, no assembly needed "fast" and cheap still very easy to launch, fly and land.
Old 10-16-2019, 01:01 AM
jet-lover

[QUOTE=Henke Torphammar;12557001]Yeah, the 80mm Avanti is getting heavy if you go X45 or K30/K45G3. With Kolibri it's fine though. You need to size up to get things comfortable, what is best is always up to you but I would not call the Mini Avanti the best as it's a fairly low budget airframe with retracts that are very weak. It's spot in in size.

Last edited by jet-lover; 10-16-2019 at 12:20 PM.
Old 10-16-2019, 01:41 AM
Henke Torphammar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The Freewing Avanti retracts are full trailing link and very strong. I had over 1,000 landings and all on grass with my 2 Freewing EDF Avantis.

In regards to weight, the X45 is lighter than the 80mm EDF??

The 6S 6200mah battery I use in the EDF is 900 grams.

The Freewing Avanti is not a "budget" airframe!!

Anybody who knows what they are talking about knows the Freewing Avanti is arguably the best EDF on the market in the world. Just read the forums.
Check my post again, Mini Avanti not 80mm Avanti for the low budget and retract issues.

I bet the 80mm Avanti freewing is heavier with X45 dry then with EDF ready to fly.

I also agree the Avanti 80mm freewing is the best EDF out there and really good with Kolibri. In my book too heavy with X45 even though I know people are flying them with X45 and K30 too. But not my cup of tea. I would go up one size for X45/K30/K45G3.

If we were to fly side by side my setup vs yours the difference would be huge. But seen only one at a time I guess both to the spectator still zips around the skies "fast" as hell

Last edited by Henke Torphammar; 10-16-2019 at 01:44 AM.
Old 10-16-2019, 04:57 AM
raydar

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

There is no way a freewing Avanti with x45 is lighter than EDF, maybe at landing it's getting near at best.
Old 10-16-2019, 12:22 PM
jet-lover

Originally Posted by raydar
There is no way a freewing Avanti with x45 is lighter than EDF, maybe at landing it's getting near at best.
I was not saying the whole aircraft was lighter, I was just saying the turbine is lighter than the EDF it replaces.
I was not saying the whole aircraft was lighter, I was just saying the turbine is lighter than the EDF it replaces.

Apologies Henke, I misunderstood and thought you were talking about the Freewing Avanti.

My mistake.
Old 10-27-2019, 09:46 AM
jimibar

Is the turbine conversion for a Freewing Avanti easy to do ?
Jet-lover, any pictures or information on your conversion ?
Old 10-27-2019, 11:21 AM
FlorianDo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I fly the Freewing Avanti for 2 years now, and in my personal experience, I found it pretty hard to land in the beginning. But with time, I got the hang of flying a little higher alpha with full flaps and play with the throttle to keep it in the air. Overall a very fun flyer and my favorite to grab and go the last two years.
Because I liked it so much, I got an Avanti XS with turbine, and flew it now 10 flights or so this year. I was amazed to find that landings with the XS with turbine were much easier! Just full flaps at about 80 degrees, a little thrust to keep it in the air, and it lands itself! Now from the other flying characteristics, the XS flies much "bigger", and particularly gets much quicker much faster than the Freewing with EDF, which caught me by surprise at maiden, but I managed to throttle back just in time.. So, what flies better, bigger or smaller ? Small EDF´s like the Freewing Avanti, and probably also the Havoc xe are perfect for the quick flight after work, or getting into jets from propeller planes. Turbine Jets that are bigger, and have lower wing loading, fly easier & smoother, as many already stated..
Old 10-27-2019, 02:02 PM
Joseph Frost

Off she goes!

If you can fly this little one well, you can fly anything.
My two favourite jet trainers are the free wing stinger 64, and the free wing Avanti.

Yes I fly turbines as well.

Most people in the know regard the free wing Avanti as the best EDF on the market today.

The stinger 64 is awesome for warming up the fingers and flying in any conditions irrespective of how windy it is. ( I have gyro in mine).

The stinger has no landing gear but easily takes off from grass.

Ton of fun for $100!

If you crash it, you just laugh!!!
Crashing planes is never a laughing matter, never had a chance to laugh with mine, she is pretty hot with my 4S set up after every rocket catapult launch. They cost lot more than 100 bux here but I got mine as a freeby bonus.