Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

CARF REBEL 2m

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

CARF REBEL 2m

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2023, 11:44 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 735 Likes on 531 Posts

If you know what a throttle is, turbine size is not a problem…
Your altitude helps too 🙂

If it’s std Electron legs put a packer under the nose unit to raise the nose a little. The std leg is softly sprung and could do with being 1/4” longer

D
The following users liked this post:
DenisFerrari (01-14-2023)
Old 01-14-2023, 06:35 AM
Tip22v

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Len Todd
My Rebel weighs in at slightly over 26#s Dry. My T-Ones weigh in at slightly over 34#s Dry. I run a K142G4 in the Rebel and K-160 G2 & 4 in the T-Ones. I have hundreds of flights on T-Ones and have never seen flutter. My Ultra-Flash destroyed itself when it's second stab's live hinge on the elevator failed and fluttered. I will always be nervous about CARF's live hinging. I keep a very close eye on it. But I like the way the Rebel flies, and it is a lot easier to handle on the ground, when I am by myself. Personally, I do not like the Rebel's servo mounts either. They are nowhere near the strength of the T-Ones'! I will occasionally pull them out and check them.

The nav lights on a Rebel are easy. I glued the landing lights to the Mains with Hysol. The Wing Tip lights I just cut slots in the tips for the heat sinks & lightly glued the WT lights on with goop. Fishing the wires through the wings was easy. They can go straight through w/o a lot of fishing around. I put a 2 servo One-Click connector at the wing connection. One circuit for Landing Lights and one for the Navs. I was a little disappointed that there was no taillight. But, then I am not sure one could be put up in the tip of the fin anyway. The controller appears to be a bit limiting. I was not able to figure out how to put the landing lights on the gear switch and the Navs on the light switch. On the T-One's new light controller, doing that was easy. The Unilights are very bright! No trouble seeing them in the day or evening. I would say they are about twice as bright as what comes in the T-Ones. But the T-Ones' nav lIghts are pretty bright too. For me, putting in the lights was worth the effort, especially if you like to fly late in the evening.
Are you using the 4 port Unilight controller, or the 8? I want to put wingtip lights, flashing beacon on the bottom, and a landing light on each main gear, can I do that with the 4 port controller or do I need to get the 8 port version? Thanks.
Old 01-14-2023, 02:12 PM
Agrav8ed

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Tip22v
Are you using the 4 port Unilight controller, or the 8? I want to put wingtip lights, flashing beacon on the bottom, and a landing light on each main gear, can I do that with the 4 port controller or do I need to get the 8 port version? Thanks.
Yes you can. I have a similar set up including one on the nose gear and the 4 channel controller works fine.
Thanks,
Tone
Old 02-01-2023, 09:00 PM
jkeze
My Feedback: (36)

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

A question for all of the 2M Rebel owners about the CG. The manual says CG on the the front edge of the wing tube. I am using 2-2S/3000 LiPos for the flight pack and a 3S LiFe pack for the turbine all on a tray in the nose. I still need about 14 ounces of lead to get the CG right. The manual says nothing about fuel load on the main tank so I assume empty since the manual states UAT full. Where is everyone balancing at and with what kind of fuel level in the main tank?

Thanks
Jack
Old 02-01-2023, 09:54 PM
Dave Wilshere

You are nose heavy already without the weight!
Put 1.5” of fuel in the main tank. Remove the top hatch, stand above the model and look down on the wing spar, hook a finger under the turbine opening hatch side lip each side above the REAR of the wing spar and lift. It should balance there. All the fuel is in front of the balance, so fuel level will influence the balance and always make it safe when you are taking off.
Every one of the twenty Rebel 2m I have set up and test flown is balanced like this.
Using the JetCat P-130Rx ours all have a 2s 3700 Li-Po in the nose and two Rx packs around 2500-2700 either side of the nose retract frame

Dave
The following 3 users liked this post by Dave Wilshere:
DenisFerrari (02-02-2023), Desertlakesflying (02-08-2023), Skunkwrks (02-02-2023)
Old 02-01-2023, 11:03 PM
jkeze
My Feedback: (36)

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Dave:
So with 1.5” of fuel in main tank, UAT full, wings on, top hatch off, gear down, balance should be on the rear side of the wing tube if I understand correctly
Thanks
Jack
DenisFerrari (02-02-2023)
Old 02-02-2023, 04:33 AM
Dave Wilshere

Jack. Yes exactly.
You will need a small amount of down elevator at landing flap. Around 1/6” at root of elevator
DenisFerrari (02-02-2023)
Old 02-02-2023, 07:01 AM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

I have a K-142G4 in mine and electron gear. Initially I set it up to the spec on the Xicoy scales with the top hatch on. I initially used two stacked 2000 Mah LiPo Rxer packs in front of and up against the nose gear's former and one 3800 Mah LiFe right in front of the 2 packs, with the UAT full and fuel in ~1/4 of the main tank. The UAT is a little large, but it is on the upper deck. When I rolled the plane over on a 45 upline on the maiden, it remained straight as an arrow and when landing it wanted to keep floating. So, I moved the 3800 LiFe as far forward as possible. Now it lands nicely (i.e. no floating and once on the ground it stays there.) I probably am not finished fine tuning the CG yet. I only have 10 flights on it with lots of snow and wind and no reasonable temps.

The plane is a nice relaxing flier. But I don't like the OEM's clevises. They can't be used on most metal control arms. Plan to change them out this winter. I am also a little uncomfortable with the wood servo mounts. Keeping a close eye on them too! Had the live elevator hinges fail on two separate stabs on my UltraFlash! Keeping a real close eye on the Rebel's live hinges.
Old 02-02-2023, 08:15 AM
Tip22v

I have a K-142G4 in mine and electron gear. Initially I set it up to the spec on the Xicoy scales with the top hatch on. I initially used two stacked 2000 Mah LiPo Rxer packs in front of and up against the nose gear's former and one 3800 Mah LiFe right in front of the 2 packs, with the UAT full and fuel in ~1/4 of the main tank. The UAT is a little large, but it is on the upper deck. When I rolled the plane over on a 45 upline on the maiden, it remained straight as an arrow and when landing it wanted to keep floating. So, I moved the 3800 LiFe as far forward as possible. Now it lands nicely (i.e. no floating and once on the ground it stays there.) I probably am not finished fine tuning the CG yet. I only have 10 flights on it with lots of snow and wind and no reasonable temps.

The plane is a nice relaxing flier. But I don't like the OEM's clevises. They can't be used on most metal control arms. Plan to change them out this winter. I am also a little uncomfortable with the wood servo mounts. Keeping a close eye on them too! Had the live elevator hinges fail on two separate stabs on my UltraFlash! Keeping a real close eye on the Rebel's live hinges.
I'm also using a K142G4 with Electron gear. I'm getting very close to finishing my build and will be wrangling the CG soon. I mounted my UAT, and pump on a removable tray in front of the fuel tank. Can you, or someone else, post your Xicoy balancer measurements? Thanks! -Tom
Old 02-02-2023, 08:43 AM
smcharg
My Feedback: (1)

Received 124 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Tip22v
I'm also using a K142G4 with Electron gear. I'm getting very close to finishing my build and will be wrangling the CG soon. I mounted my UAT, and pump on a removable tray in front of the fuel tank. Can you, or someone else, post your Xicoy balancer measurements? Thanks! -Tom
Tom,
I HIGHLY recommend that you get your own measurements. While we like to think each plane is exactly the same, it's unlikely. It's really easy to do with a piece of masking tape on the floor to get your exact measurements. While I have the Max, I can tell you that mine and a friend's measurements were about 1cm off and why I'm recommending this. I attribute this difference mainly due to the exact position of the nose retract in the aircraft being slightly different.
Old 02-02-2023, 08:59 AM
Tip22v

Originally Posted by smcharg
Tom,
I HIGHLY recommend that you get your own measurements. While we like to think each plane is exactly the same, it's unlikely. It's really easy to do with a piece of masking tape on the floor to get your exact measurements. While I have the Max, I can tell you that mine and a friend's measurements were about 1cm off and why I'm recommending this. I attribute this difference mainly due to the exact position of the nose retract in the aircraft being slightly different.
Good point, I've used masking tape in the past and it works well. Thanks, Tom
Old 02-02-2023, 09:59 AM
Len Todd

My Rebel measurements for the Balancer:
Front to Mains 800mm
Mains to CG 83mm
Distance from Mains 1043

The electron's set screw on the main's trailing link is adjusted to fit the wheel wheels. But I did exercise the springs a bit by lifting and compressing the springs a couple times and then lifting and letting the plane settle on its own. The nose gear's spring always sits fully extended.

Personally, my many experiences using the balancer is you don't need to be exact. I normally get as close as possible on the measurements for the Xicoy and then confirm a reasonable balance on the Easy Balancer. Ultimately, even then, I typically end up doing some sort of fine CG adjustments after the maiden. Everybody's idea of "good handling" is frequently different.

I have the UAT on the top deck. The Fuel Tank is forward of the CG. So, you may want to put the pump behind the fuel tank, etc.

2 Spektrum 2000 Mah LiPo Rxer Packs & 1 Kingtech 3800 Life

Fuel Pump Location

UAT, Powerbox & LG Control Location

Last edited by Len Todd; 02-02-2023 at 10:02 AM.
Old 02-02-2023, 10:17 AM
Tip22v

Here is my setup, picture was taken before I mounted the nose gear and electronics on top panel. I installed a small light ply beam under the CortexPro to make the top panel more ridged and stiff for the gyro.
Old 02-04-2023, 10:41 AM
Dave Wilshere

Looks a bit odd because the pit box slopes slightly this end of our pits and it only has 1” of fuel in the main tank. Fingers at back edge of tube.

DenisFerrari (02-11-2023)
Old 02-10-2023, 11:23 PM
GREMOS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i am waitting for a clasic.have annyone tryed to put the cmjet's tank ver the wing spar??will you think it will fit???
Old 02-11-2023, 12:01 AM
Falcon 195

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why can't the OE clevises be used with metal servo control horns?
Old 02-11-2023, 12:45 AM
GREMOS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Falcon 195
my quess is that the metal horns are big for the clevises.
Old 02-11-2023, 07:38 AM
Tip22v

Originally Posted by Falcon 195
I built my 2m classic with Torque Servos, they come with metal servo control arms and the OE clevises fit perfectly.
Skunkwrks (02-11-2023)
Old 02-11-2023, 12:18 PM
Len Todd

Some metal arms are too thick. The holes in most metal arms are too large. One needs to use heat shrink over the clevis. Gas line, won't last several years. Then when you are all done, you have a plane dependent on several ~1/16th diameter pins with ~ 1/2 of that diameter poked into a clevis side plate about 1/16th of an inch. Why settle for that, when all your other planes have a 3mm bolt, nut and ball link on them? For the price of these particular planes, IMO, the OEM is creating unnecessary risk to our airframes, our pilots and our spectators. These substandard components also make our shopping more difficult. Where can you find a quality 1.25" metal servo arm with the ~1/16th" hole in them? For me there is enough risk in what we do w/o building in unnecessary risk.
Old 02-11-2023, 12:36 PM
Len Todd

Originally Posted by GREMOS
i am waitting for a clasic.have annyone tryed to put the cmjet's tank ver the wing spar??will you think it will fit???
It flies great with the OEM tank in the OEM's spot. If it ain't broke, why fix it?
Old 02-11-2023, 06:33 PM
jvaliensi
My Feedback: (1)

Received 111 Likes on 89 Posts

It flies great with the OEM tank in the OEM's spot. If it ain't broke, why fix it?
The CM Jet tank is a better design, in that the CG will move less as the tank is drained. This is because the CM tank is shorter and wider and has less of a moment arm in relation to the CG of the aircraft.
Skunkwrks (02-11-2023)
Old 02-11-2023, 10:44 PM
Skunkwrks

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

Len have you look at MKS carbon servo arms.!
If you have seen what other manufacturers call good quailty you would realize very quickly that Carf hardware is very good !!!
Do what you want and if you have issues contact Carf with you concerns.

https://www.mksservosusa.com/home.php?cat=33
Why settle for that, when all your other planes have a 3mm bolt, nut and ball link on them? . Where can you find a quality 1.25" metal servo arm with the ~1/16th" hole in them?.

Last edited by Skunkwrks; 02-11-2023 at 10:52 PM.
Desertlakesflying (02-13-2023)
Old 02-12-2023, 01:41 AM
Dave Wilshere

Originally Posted by jvaliensi
The CM Jet tank is a better design, in that the CG will move less as the tank is drained. This is because the CM tank is shorter and wider and has less of a moment arm in relation to the CG of the aircraft.
Pi$$ing in the sea difference! A tank with smooth outer surface and rough inner to wear the clunk is not a better design. In the U.K. all 2m Rebel’s use the stock tank and fly perfectly when balanced my way.
Old 02-12-2023, 04:47 AM
didiwatt
My Feedback: (38)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Skunkwrks
Len have you look at MKS carbon servo arms.!
If you have seen what other manufacturers call good quailty you would realize very quickly that Carf hardware is very good !!!
Do what you want and if you have issues contact Carf with you concerns.

https://www.mksservosusa.com/home.php?cat=33
Are these for 25 spline servos?
Skunkwrks (02-12-2023)
Old 02-12-2023, 10:32 AM
Skunkwrks

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by didiwatt
Are these for 25 spline servos?
Yes just put a pair on my HV 9930 and had to drill a hole at one inch for the ball link , not a bad price either.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.