Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

enclosed jet trailer

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

enclosed jet trailer

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2020, 07:57 PM
BlueBus320
My Feedback: (57)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default enclosed jet trailer

I'm looking for an enclosed 12' jet trailer that can fit in my 1 car garage. Any recommendations?
Thanks, Jay
Old 03-18-2020, 02:59 AM
Jetpilot24
My Feedback: (21)

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

https://www.freedomtrailers.com/
Old 03-18-2020, 04:25 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

I bought a cut down Freedom Trailer and picked it up from the factory in 2009. It’s a 10’ Vnose, which is 12’ to the V. Best investment I’ve ever made for the hobby. It tows very well at a normal highway cruise for me at 77 mph, and have had it higher to get around someone. No fish tailing. You have to buy them through a dealer if ordering one from the factory.

I’ve had 2 jets and a CARF 3.1 Extra in there at the same time. I hung one jet upside down with foam between it and the ceiling.

Notice that I got it with barn doors. A ramp is a hassle for me, and dumps dirt into the trailer every time you lift the ramp door.

Last edited by RCFlyerDan; 03-18-2020 at 04:31 AM.
Old 03-19-2020, 05:38 AM
BlueBus320

Default Thanks guys!

I’ll look into those. Is a leaf suspension ok, or do you use something with a better ride for models because they’re so light?
Old 03-19-2020, 07:38 AM
RCFlyerDan

Mine are fine. I just don’t drive like an idiot over rough roads, RR#, etc. I actually don’t attach any of my jets to the floor. I’ve seen too many jets and planes damage simply by over strapping. If the jet or planes are on wheels, then I have tie downs where the wheels sit, and a small small bungee wrapped around the strut or wheels. Did this for my F-16, F-18, and all of the Extras’.
As you see those two of my current jets, I just let them ride in old dog foam beds. I’ve never had a issue. Even having a rear truck flat tire at 75mph and loosing control out through the median. Had it under control, until hitting a rough bridge. I didn’t jack knife or roll it. First thing I looked at was both jets and I had a CARF 44% Giles. Nothing damage inside or outside of the trailer. Totaled the truck, due to hitting all four corner panels. Most of the time that you see this happen to someone, they normally over steer and roll it is what the highway patrolman told me.

I also hang my wings.

Last edited by RCFlyerDan; 03-19-2020 at 07:41 AM.
Old 03-19-2020, 09:03 AM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlueBus320
I’ll look into those. Is a leaf suspension ok, or do you use something with a better ride for models because they’re so light?
Avoid spring suspension if you have a choice. Torsion axles are the way to go

Old 03-19-2020, 09:26 AM
BlueBus320

Default Thanks guys!👍

Appreciate the info
Old 03-19-2020, 12:45 PM
bcovish

If you're going to outfit a trailer, I highly suggest a tire pressure monitoring system for the trailer.
Old 03-19-2020, 01:10 PM
RCFlyerDan

Originally Posted by bcovish
If you're going to outfit a trailer, I highly suggest a tire pressure monitoring system for the trailer.
I’ve also heard that Torsion suspension is the best way to go. You definitely have some great ideas with the tire pressure monitor. I added a 12v high cycle battery inside the cabinet. I have a banana plug in panel, plus over head leds. I guess what I want to say is that mine has treated me well for the ten years. I’ve always garaged it, so hasn’t been in the elements.
I would buy another if I had to buy one today.
Old 03-19-2020, 01:39 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Bluebus, if you happen to visit flyinggiants site they have an extremely long and help thread just for trailers with more information than you will ever need on setting one up for RC
Old 03-19-2020, 02:44 PM
BlueBus320

Default Thanks fender, I’ll look for it now

Old 03-19-2020, 06:53 PM
BlueBus320

Default Where do you guys buy

Those big thick foam padding sheets to cushion the ride in the trailer?

Old 03-19-2020, 06:59 PM
BlueBus320

Default I think I found it

Egg crate mattress toppers😁
Old 03-20-2020, 04:17 AM
RCFlyerDan

Originally Posted by BlueBus320
Egg crate mattress toppers😁
They are old dog beds. I have large dogs. The covering wears out. Yes, of course they add cushioning. As I said earlier, The jets just sit on top. I have another long piece from a bed mattress that goes in between the two jets. If I’m just going to the local field for the day, I only take one jet. My 5 gallon can sits in front strapped down. I place a foam piece in between the can and the nose of the jet. This way if I have to stop suddenly, the jet doesn’t move forward.
Old 03-20-2020, 07:58 AM
bcovish

This is the trailer I pull for Elite Aerosports. There are three more planes up front. As I drive thousands of miles each year delivering customers and team planes not one plane has been damaged.
I do not recommend transporting planes WITH retracts with the gear down. The constant movement of the trailer from rough roads and whatever causes permature wear on the gear IMO. Fixed gear OK.

Old 03-21-2020, 04:47 PM
Afterburners

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Get an accurate garage floor height to door when opened. Then check around with different manufacturers on what custom height they will do. When I bought my Haulmark and ordered it so it would fit in my garage, the dealer told me the factory could do it in six inch increments and then once I ordered they came back a few weeks later and told me one foot. May not sound like much but six extra inches in height on an already lowered trailer is huge. Oh and BTW, Haulmark is way overrated. I would not go that route again if was to get another trailer.
Old 03-29-2020, 03:42 PM
PaulD
My Feedback: (39)

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Avoid spring suspension if you have a choice. Torsion axles are the way to go
Agreed. I have a 5x10 Cargomate with a Single spring axle and my one complaint is it’s bouncy. A dual axle also makes a big difference but at a minimum, get a torsion axle.

paulD
Old 03-30-2020, 09:41 AM
Basspilot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a two year old super nice stealth titan 7x14’ I’m selling $4,000. If interested I have pictures I can send located in Southern Indiana.

Seth
812-449-8700
Old 03-30-2020, 09:49 AM
RCFlyerDan

Originally Posted by PaulD
my one complaint is it’s bouncy.

paulD
I added a cabinet in the back behind the wheels. In the cabinet I have a heavy duty and cycle 12v battery. I will also carry a 5 gallons of fuel under it. I have noticed that if you put more weight on the axle or behind the axle, the trailer rides better. I’ve heard of guys permanently adding dead weight of a hundred pounds or so. Even mounting the weight outside underneath the floor, attached to the frame to get a better ride. Just a thought.
Old 03-30-2020, 10:51 AM
bcovish

You have to be careful when adding weight to the rear of the trailer. When you do that you take away tongue weight. Too little tongue weight may cause the trailer to fish tail and you don't want that. Tongue weight should be at least 10% of the weight of the trailer loaded. Trailer weighing 2500 pounds loaded, tongue weight should at least 250 pounds
Old 03-30-2020, 12:15 PM
RCFlyerDan

You have to be careful when adding weight to the rear of the trailer. When you do that you take away tongue weight. Too little tongue weight may cause the trailer to fish tail and you don't want that. Tongue weight should be at least 10% of the weight of the trailer loaded. Trailer weighing 2500 pounds loaded, tongue weight should at least 250 pounds
Thank you for adding that fact for others. I’m fully aware having towed boats and trailers for 35 years. Extremely important for those who aren’t aware. Can be a hard lesson ending in the ditch. Problem is that most guys over load the front of the trailer with tool boxes, fuel, cabinets, spare tires, etc. My suggestion is to help balance out the load. The weight helps the ride of the trailer. It also helps to slow down when seeing rough roads.