Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Skymaster F-14 Jolly Roger

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Skymaster F-14 Jolly Roger

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2021, 06:43 AM
WimB
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on your Tomcat!! I'm in the process of changing some things on mine, and most issues I read are familiar.

- Gear: I stripped all the factory paint on mine, took everything apart (the gear is indeed a work of art!), painted all parts individually, and reassembled it all with proper lubing. Originally on mine, there was a lot of drag on the sleeve that connects to the scissor (main gear), due to a very viscous oil or grease. same on the steering sleeve on the nose gear. goes a lot smoother now. Do indeed take care to not slam the gear down, I ripped the rod right out of the piston on the locking cylinder. also, when adjusting the locking cylinder, don't let the scissor go too far over center, the small piston just isn't strong enough. I use 10 bar on mine, and two of the largest cylinders I could find. these are mounted in between the turbines and used for gear and doors. Two large Robart cylinders power the rest. I use Evojet valves with throttles on the exhaust.

- doors: I optimized piston throw on the main wheel doors. modified the hinge to have a longer arm to match the piston throw. moves a lot smoother now.

- cockpit: the original is junk indeed. Shame on SM to even charge for this! In the process of making a new cockpit. (.6mm ply)

- Flap travel: correct placement of the actuator rod is indeed essential. the bend in the rod needs to be in perfect alignment with the hinge line. max deflection is actually the same as the bend in the rod (about 45° I think).
Check the slot in the flap in which the rod rides. if play occurs there, you will need to open the flap and add plates (Fiberglass or carbon). Or go to an external linkage.

- Rudder: I am planning to optimize the geometry of the linkage. did mine as per manual, but not entirely satisfied. also, there's play in the hinge. hinge wire is a hair too thin.

- thrust tubes: you can adjust the front to back placement with the two M3 threaded rods. back of my pipes are about flush with the back of the nozzles.

- Fuel system: mine is as stated in the manual, no issues. Split front tank does seem a nice addition, I do have concerns of the clunks getting tangled together..... single fueling point, single vent.

- important: check the wing incidence after taking out the wing swing mechanism!!! a small misalignment on the main beam (the one that bolts between the two formers, and to which the pivots attach) can have a large impact on the wings. ask me how I know.... :-) easily checked by swinging the wings back, and measure the distance between the wingtip and your tabletop with the fuse levelled.

mine came out at 28kg's empty (no lead!), hoping to shave some weight off by moving stuff around (shorter and lighter -Powerbox- cabling)

Flies like a trainer with the wings out.......a fast, heavy trainer. :-)

The following users liked this post:
gpman (10-24-2021)
Old 10-20-2021, 08:27 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

I would put aluminum tape on the inside of your cones and call it a day.
Old 10-23-2021, 01:31 AM
mauryr

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FenderBean
Im not understanding their response, the front of the pipe has to be supported some how. All pipes are supported in the rear and front, anyway I can try but that's really hard to do without taking the rear apart a bit. Do you know id the pipes are short or is it the mounts being too short? The only way to push the pipes back far enough and keep your turbine to pipe gap is push the motors back. Its go to almost impossible to get the motors in the far back inside the model.
Speaking with Likai about this issue some time ago, he was telling me the front of the pipe has been designed to just 'stick' in the engine rails, without the nuts. The pipe is then retained at the back by that little metal tab which is spot welded and is trapped by the exhaust cone.
I also don't trust this setup and added the nuts even if it's a pain to get to them, especially with the bigger engines.
Old 10-23-2021, 10:21 AM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by mauryr
Speaking with Likai about this issue some time ago, he was telling me the front of the pipe has been designed to just 'stick' in the engine rails, without the nuts. The pipe is then retained at the back by that little metal tab which is spot welded and is trapped by the exhaust cone.
I also don't trust this setup and added the nuts even if it's a pain to get to them, especially with the bigger engines.
yes this was how mine is, I simply added the nuts to keep it from shifting during transport.
Old 11-16-2021, 10:42 AM
drorso

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks WimB, Ravill and Keith, most of the issues already sorted out. As for the tail pipes, John (SM) sent me some pictures of a new kit they are about to complete.

Tail pipe is 22", and while mounted to the engine rail, it is flush with the tail cone as it should. Might be that in my kit the engine rails are too short, I can't see any other reason.

I added a 2.5" (4 cm) extension to the tail pipes at the end, not sure it's the right way. Might be that I had to extend it after the bell mouth. Don't know....

Adding stainless steel 0.3mm strip

inside view

Need a little trim and it's done
Old 11-24-2021, 01:05 PM
bruno borges

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

2nd place in the scale championship in Brazil
Old 11-24-2021, 01:18 PM
bruno borges

Talking

Originally Posted by flyloose
Here’s a quick vid of my 4th flight....still working on getting her dialed in with wing sweep...

https://youtu.be/p-UIYTRgZ38

Hi,

Are you using Lipo 7.4V to power the Wing actuators?

Tks
Bruno
Old 11-24-2021, 07:18 PM
flyloose

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bruno borges
Hi,

Are you using Lipo 7.4V to power the Wing actuators?

Tks
Bruno
No....The actuator controller requires 3S Lipo, apparently
Old 11-25-2021, 11:57 AM
FenderBean

No....The actuator controller requires 3S Lipo, apparently
The original required 3S the new actuators should not have the old control board and run the lower voltage.
Old 11-25-2021, 12:01 PM
flyloose

The original required 3S the new actuators should not have the old control board and run the lower voltage.
That makes sense actually as my actuators are non proportional and don’t have any intermediate settings….I got my kit new off a fellow that had it for a while so it was manufactured probably in 2016 or 17
Old 11-25-2021, 01:18 PM
drorso

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine delivered on June 2020, the actuators are hooked directly to the Powerbox, working with 2S Lipo.
Old 11-25-2021, 10:20 PM
FenderBean

That makes sense actually as my actuators are non proportional and don’t have any intermediate settings….I got my kit new off a fellow that had it for a while so it was manufactured probably in 2016 or 17
Yeah my controller burned up at KY jets this year, I replaced mine with the version mentioned above. Looking forward to trying them since I can set a mid sweep position like the real one flew at instead of just full back/full out.
Old 11-26-2021, 04:50 AM
flyloose

Yeah my controller burned up at KY jets this year, I replaced mine with the version mentioned above. Looking forward to trying them since I can set a mid sweep position like the real one flew at instead of just full back/full out.
That's cool....I may get the newer controller as well...my buddy's has it and it's nice having the mid position
Old 11-26-2021, 11:25 PM
LA jetguy

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Is there a name for different position of the wing.. like cruise, stealth, attack, etc….. I want to setup flight modes with those names

thanks
Old 11-27-2021, 07:22 PM
flyloose

Originally Posted by LA jetguy
Is there a name for different position of the wing.. like cruise, stealth, attack, etc….. I want to setup flight modes with those names

thanks
Honestly, I have no clue….I know the full scale had an auto mode where they would start to sweep at a certain speed (Mach number)…..there’s was also a manual mode the pilot could select….Beyond that perhaps someone else can chime in to answer your question..
Old 11-28-2021, 06:00 AM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

thanks
‘This guy would know for sure, he makes some F-14 YouTube videos, he’s ex-F-14 driver. Ward Carroll
camss69 (11-28-2021)
Old 11-28-2021, 10:41 PM
LA jetguy

Thanks Daniel…

I got my F14 coming next month
Dansy (11-29-2021)
Old 11-29-2021, 05:20 AM
bruno borges

Smile

My actuator I believe is of the old model.
With which battery would it be better to use it with 7.4 or 11.3 Lipo?

Tks Bruno
Old 11-29-2021, 06:28 AM
FenderBean

Originally Posted by bruno borges
My actuator I believe is of the old model.
With which battery would it be better to use it with 7.4 or 11.3 Lipo?

Tks Bruno
If you have my version it required a 11.1 volts
Old 11-30-2021, 04:49 PM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

thanks
Good read on the wings here: https://www.airspacemag.com/flight-t...wings-9189621/

The wings could be over swept back, not for flying, so the plane was slightly smaller for storage on the carrier, 75deg sweep angle. Basically 4 manual positions and Auto plus Emergency for fine angle control. FWD/Bomb/Back/Oversweep

From NATOPS see page 2-82
https://info.publicintelligence.net/F14AAD-1.pdf

Image of the DCS F-14 simulator shows the controls and the gauge.

Last edited by Chris Nicastro; 11-30-2021 at 05:12 PM.
Old 11-30-2021, 11:24 PM
LA jetguy

Thank you all .. great information..

I believe the new SM F14 wing mechanisms (@7.4V) has three position.. each wing position will have a respective flight mode with corresponding ailevator travel and gyro gains. I will name the modes as “ Forward”, “Attack” and “Stealth”

As for power plant.. I anticipate twin matching Xicoy “X180”…

David
Canadian Man (01-10-2022)
Old 12-01-2021, 10:50 AM
flyloose

Beautiful scheme.....

If I'm not mistaken from helping my buddy do some programming on his, they're basically like a servo...So you can chose what intermediate position(s) you would want within the radio programming...Don't quote me on this but I think that's how they work
Old 05-25-2022, 02:45 AM
mugenkidd
My Feedback: (94)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Standard wing

Has anyone flown this plane with the standard wing, without the flaps, slats, spoilers? Wondering how performance compares?
Old 05-25-2022, 02:51 AM
flyloose

Originally Posted by mugenkidd
Has anyone flown this plane with the standard wing, without the flaps, slats, spoilers? Wondering how performance compares?
My buddy had around 200 flights on his before he sold it….with the basic wing, it flew fantastic and he loved the jet….I myself have the fancy one as the cool factor was too much to turn away 🙂…I’m going to be really dialling mine in this year…Hoping to get a lot more flights on mine as well
mugenkidd (05-25-2022)
Old 05-25-2022, 04:11 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

thanks
There were no "detent" positions for the wing sweep. It had either an automatic or manual mode: In automatic mode, the flight computer determined the wing position based on altitude and speed (possibly weight as well). In manual mode, the pilot could put the wings anywhere they wanted, but the computer would not allow the wings to be un-swept beyond the position that the computer would allow in automatic mode, this was to prevent any structural damage from happening. Once they started using the F14 for bombing, they would manually put the wings at 55* of sweep for bomb runs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.