Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

400mm EDF Project

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

400mm EDF Project

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2020, 03:20 PM
SkyersJet

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 400mm EDF Project

I've been working on 3D printing a 400mm diameter EDF. Most of it is printed out of PETG on my Creality CR-20 printer. The motor (15kW 600kv inrunner) is attached to a gearbox in order to provide enough thrust. So far I have reached approximately 18kg thrust during testing.

The following 4 users liked this post by SkyersJet:
ED-209 (12-10-2021), Nige321 (09-10-2020), rossi63 (09-09-2020), skunkwurk (09-10-2020)
Old 09-09-2020, 05:30 PM
Halcyon66

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Vasyfan is making 250mm and 390mm monsters running over 70kg with up to 50kw, and eye popping amps.

In most cases you want high rpm to get the mass flow and high thrust numbers, yet you then have to have very strong blade mounts. In his case they are individually molded carbon fiber blades

https://www.vasyfan.com/en-gb/edf-plus

250 mm and controller close to a big Jetcat in prices.

Regards,

Last edited by Halcyon66; 09-09-2020 at 05:32 PM.
Old 09-10-2020, 04:53 AM
SkyersJet

Originally Posted by Halcyon66
Vasyfan is making 250mm and 390mm monsters running over 70kg with up to 50kw, and eye popping amps.

In most cases you want high rpm to get the mass flow and high thrust numbers, yet you then have to have very strong blade mounts. In his case they are individually molded carbon fiber blades

https://www.vasyfan.com/en-gb/edf-plus

250 mm and controller close to a big Jetcat in prices.

Regards,
And they cost thousands. Thrust alone isn't a good comparison. 70kg at 50kW is 1.4 g/W efficiency therefore at that level of thrust the efficiency drops to almost half that of mine (2.4g/W).

Last edited by SkyersJet; 09-10-2020 at 04:57 AM.
Old 09-10-2020, 12:01 PM
Nige321

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

OK, I'll bite...

What's it going in...??!
Old 09-10-2020, 01:01 PM
Halcyon66

Efficiency is a pointless term in model aircraft, rc turbines are not efficient they just burn as much fuel as they can get. Electric systems are not much better.

As already said they cost $$$ yet for their output they actually produce more thrust than a P500 pro, and they are around 10k € for the fan unit and brushless controller.(https://www.mgm-compro.com/electric-propulsion-systems/)

There is a reason EDF run at high rpm, while gearing the unit will produce torque, at a certain speed the fan unit will act as a brake. Also printed blades will fail very quickly due to load and flex.

Here is a 400mm in igs you can easily modify and work with if you want.

In thrust we trust :-)

Regards,
Attached Files
File Type: zip
400 mm EDF.zip (558.6 KB, 130 views)

Last edited by Halcyon66; 09-10-2020 at 01:28 PM.
Old 09-10-2020, 06:35 PM
SkyersJet

Efficiency is a pointless term in model aircraft, rc turbines are not efficient they just burn as much fuel as they can get. Electric systems are not much better.

As already said they cost $$$ yet for their output they actually produce more thrust than a P500 pro, and they are around 10k € for the fan unit and brushless controller.(https://www.mgm-compro.com/electric-propulsion-systems/)

There is a reason EDF run at high rpm, while gearing the unit will produce torque, at a certain speed the fan unit will act as a brake. Also printed blades will fail very quickly due to load and flex.

Regards,
Efficiency is not pointless. I don't get what your point is exactly, I post a DIY project and you reply that some company is selling the same thing for £10k. That's like me posting a home built car project and you telling me to buy a BMW.

Last edited by SkyersJet; 09-10-2020 at 07:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rossi63 (09-10-2020)
Old 09-10-2020, 07:02 PM
SkyersJet

Originally Posted by Nige321
OK, I'll bite...

What's it going in...??!
It's not for anything specific, it's a research project to a) develop an EDF bigger than existing ones (I actually started this before the 395mm carbon EDF that that other poster mentioned was released, you can check my YouTube channel history) because bigger = more efficient, b) to investigate low cost FDM manufacturing methods for EDFs (I did the stress calculations), c) to investigate using cheaper lower-torque motors run via a gearbox (without the gearbox I'd have had to have used a TP100 which is double the price and even then it wouldn't have had quite enough torque and finally c) to enable the use of high-lift intake rings (I've been doing research on intake rings for a while and I found that they give more benefit on a larger scale. Ideally I'd like to use it in VTOL applications but it isn't specifically for any craft.

Old 09-10-2020, 08:19 PM
Halcyon66

I simply made the statement that there were some huge fans out there, Schubeler has also been making 20+kg with a 195mm for how many years?

Vasyfan was making custom large scale for yrs and yrs, the 350s came out in late 2017 from memory. He has also made even bigger sizes for custom apps.

Your website is suspended and your YouTube channel was started in Feb so not sure of why your stating you were making these yrs before anyone else?

Regards,

Old 09-11-2020, 08:17 AM
SkyersJet

I simply made the statement that there were some huge fans out there.
Along with "your blades will fail" "efficiency is pointless" and you posted a CAD model of a fan and told me to use that instead.

I simply said I started the project before I saw any EDF of this size advertised. I don't know when that manufacturer started developing his 395mm, he could have been developing 5 years ago for all I know. All I know is he posted the YouTube video showcasing it in February so before that I did not know that there were any of that size.

Anyway I don't know why you keep saying my project isn't as powerful as a £10k professional carbon EDF. As I said this is like me posting a kit car build and you saying that it isn't as powerful as a Mercedes E-Class.

Last edited by SkyersJet; 09-11-2020 at 08:41 AM.
Old 09-11-2020, 05:02 PM
Halcyon66

"Here is a 400mm in igs you can easily modify and work with if you want"

Not sure that is forcing you to do anything, was just trying to help get the thrust up. Now I know that your only concern is price and not thrust I totally understand what you’re not trying to achieve.

Yes the others are very expensive yet they are at the top end of what is possible with those inlet diameters. I talked of costs in relation to Vasyfan vs. turbines in the same class (50 kg + ), yours was not included in that comparison.

Your comment regarding kit cars is mute as there are numerous "kit cars" that cost far less than a Mercedes E class (???) that have truly monster performance. 572 crate at 700hp can turn anything into a beast and not break the bank.

Regards,
Old 09-11-2020, 05:34 PM
SkyersJet

"Here is a 400mm in igs you can easily modify and work with if you want"

Not sure that is forcing you to do anything, was just trying to help get the thrust up. Now I know that your only concern is price and not thrust I totally understand what you’re not trying to achieve.

Yes the others are very expensive yet they are at the top end of what is possible with those inlet diameters. I talked of costs in relation to Vasyfan vs. turbines in the same class (50 kg + ), yours was not included in that comparison.

Your comment regarding kit cars is mute as there are numerous "kit cars" that cost far less than a Mercedes E class (???) that have truly monster performance. 572 crate at 700hp can turn anything into a beast and not break the bank.

Regards,
The thrust is lower because I put less power in. I don't know why you assumed I needed a better fan.

Well of course if you throw a big block into any old frame it's going to be powerful but will the car be reliable? Likewise I could hook up a 50kW motor to my EDF and it might produce 40kg before the blades give up. That's not reliable. I'm aiming for 20-25kg of reliable, efficient, low-cost thrust.
Old 09-30-2020, 03:37 PM
SkyersJet

I've been trying intake bells to improve efficiency. Here is the first attempt (well third, the first two were so bad I won't even post those)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGIXO...ature=youtu.be
Old 09-30-2020, 06:09 PM
Halcyon66

https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12

https://www.rcgroups.com/electric-du...n-jet-talk-12/

Regards,

Old 04-25-2021, 04:10 PM
SkyersJet

Here is the latest progress. I built a new test stand which is a trolley on a pull scale:

There was an accident:

But I got it working again: