Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Oldie but goldie - JMP Hustler

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Oldie but goldie - JMP Hustler

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2021, 09:58 AM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LGM Graphix
Hi George,
I am really amazed with your hustler. I hate the redbull schemes but it looks awesome on that jet! Beautiful hustler! I'm envious!
Thanks Jeremy, but I can't credit. As Hans correctly said, it was Rod who built and painted it.

I have the Firebird as well, and it has proven hard to see due to the color (pearl white), but doesn't take away from how nice it flies.
Old 09-15-2021, 11:42 AM
hofer

Received 52 Likes on 26 Posts

Hi all,
And, as the flying season comes to an end, I just found the time to continue a little bit on the Hustler !
The whole structure has been primed with 2K epoxi primer and today, I sanded all the parts down with with 400 grid ( wet, of course ) - Ohh yes, a dirty job !
The canvas is ready now in order to receive the rasberry red dressing !
I will do that by using some exclusively mixed spray cans - 2K ones they are as well - the finish will be in silk half flat !
Of course. I will start with the smaller parts just to check out on what quality I can achieve
Concerning the turbine - I guess that the Kingtech 260 G4+ is just the gold standard today - only reading positive comments about function and service - seems to set the standard in every way, really !!
Until soon
Hans

Last edited by hofer; 09-16-2021 at 09:23 AM.
Old 09-16-2021, 08:51 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

I'm envious my friend. A hustler is still on the list although will be harder to aquire now. The 260 will be insane in that jet! Much like your olympus hp that I put on my kingcat. Vertical accelerating take off 25 feet from starting to roll!
I still think Tom's jets are the best their are. The quality is second to none!
Old 09-16-2021, 11:51 AM
hofer

Hi Jeremy,
Yes, Tom`s machines are getting pretty much exstinct by now - not many left in full flying condition for sure !
And yes, I do consider his airframes and systems much more UAV`s like standard compared to any other model airplanes !
A lot of work needed to complete, but once done, they will last forever ! ( being in the right hands, of course ! )
Very happy that my Oly has found a good home !
First attempts with the rasberry red turned out to my satisfaction - not professional standard of course, but pretty decent !
Some pics to follow soon
see you
Hans
The following users liked this post:
uncleTom (09-16-2021)
Old 09-17-2021, 10:58 AM
hofer

Hi all,
And here the first pics of a colored part - the top hatch !
I do like that that silk flat rasberry red - it will be quite a statement ! But highly visible of course !
Still thinking of the final markings for the Hustler - there might be some white stripes in addition to my usual model names and race numbers !
see you
Hans

Last edited by hofer; 09-17-2021 at 10:30 PM.
uncleTom (09-17-2021)
Old 09-23-2021, 11:36 AM
hofer

Hi all,
And finally, the dirty job is done !
I like on how everything turned out - these custom mixed 2K spray cans are really very good to work with !
Not professional of course, but really acceptable to me !
Back in the hobby room with with the Hustler and there is rasberry red wherever I point my eyes !
So, the final systems integration is the next big job - I do have all the parts at hand ( except the source of force, say turbine ! ) and it will be a pleasure to complete that puzzle !
Yes, Hustler is a demanding airplane concerning systems - a lot of flight controls ( 9of them ! ), fully sequenced gear doors, smoke installation, 4 flight phases with 3 axys gyros and so on !
see you
Hans

Ahh yes, forgot to mention, Hustler still has the sexiest nose section of any airplane I know of !!

Last edited by hofer; 09-23-2021 at 11:41 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by hofer:
patf (09-24-2021), uncleTom (09-23-2021), Viper1GJ (09-23-2021)
Old 10-09-2021, 12:04 PM
hofer

Originally Posted by hofer
Hi all,
And finally, the dirty job is done !
I like on how everything turned out - these custom mixed 2K spray cans are really very good to work with !
Not professional of course, but really acceptable to me !
Back in the hobby room with with the Hustler and there is rasberry red wherever I point my eyes !
So, the final systems integration is the next big job - I do have all the parts at hand ( except the source of force, say turbine ! ) and it will be a pleasure to complete that puzzle !
Yes, Hustler is a demanding airplane concerning systems - a lot of flight controls ( 9of them ! ), fully sequenced gear doors, smoke installation, 4 flight phases with 3 axys gyros and so on !
see you
Hans

Ahh yes, forgot to mention, Hustler still has the sexiest nose section of any airplane I know of !!
And sorry for my wrong spelling of "raspberry" until now - now I get it right !
The horizontal stabilizer with the elevator ( 2 closely matched servos required here for this one ) and the booms with the rudders have been completed with all the servos, wiring and the connectors to make the set up on the flightline an easy job
I use Futaba brushless servos all around - they are just very high quality ! ( say as good as their price is ! )
Next step will be the electrics on the fuselage and then mounting and plumbing up the gears and doors - yes and yes, I do like system integration !!
see you
Hans

Last edited by hofer; 10-09-2021 at 12:20 PM.
Old 10-10-2021, 05:16 AM
uncleTom
My Feedback: (30)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very nice work Hans, Great to see people still building!
Old 10-10-2021, 11:15 AM
hofer

Hi Tom,
Ohh yes, building is just a " must " for me !
I do always like the knowlege and and the confidence about an airframe that is going to deliver cutting edge performance !!
And Hustler ( pushed by some 50+ pounds turbine ) just has to be set up to a very high standard !
I hope I can deliver here !
see you
Hans

Last edited by hofer; 10-10-2021 at 11:24 AM.
uncleTom (10-10-2021)
Old 10-12-2021, 08:58 AM
LGM Graphix

Its looking awesome Hans! Can't wait to see it finished
Old 10-12-2021, 09:01 AM
LGM Graphix

Its looking awesome Hans! Can't wait to see it finished
Old 10-12-2021, 11:50 AM
hofer

Hi Jeremy,
Ohh, yes, once you get into completion of one of Tom`s birds, it really becomes addictive !!
I have all the high standard components at hand now ( almost everything from Tom`s manufacturing ! ) to complete this bird !
I still hope my CFO ( say my wife ) releases the funds for the turbine during wintertime in order to make Hustler fully ready for a next spring rollout, function test and then, maiden flight !!
After straying away from jet flights for quite some time, I do really look forward to that revival with such a rare and special aircraft !
Again, I have to deliver here - I will do my very best, promised ( let`s hope it will be good enough ) !!
More to come soon
Hans
Old 10-12-2021, 01:14 PM
Ron S
My Feedback: (2)

Received 205 Likes on 125 Posts

Tom Cook should be proud that there are folks still building his kits!
I'm sure your Hustler will be a great flying jet!
Old 10-17-2021, 12:07 PM
hofer

Hi all,
And today, I completed the wirings and the linkages of the outer wing panels using powerbox .32 square mm cables throughout !
All the ailerons and the outer flaps have been programmed already for my intended 3 flight phases ( CLEAN / TAKE OFF and LAND and probably a CONSTANT SPEED mode )
As usual with all my planes, all throws, neutral positions and gyro gains will be different in those flight phases !
CLEAN means fast, T/O means medium and LAND goes for slow airspeed naturally, quite according the flaps deployment !
Now, it is onto the fuselage - a lot of electrical connections and plumbing to be finished right here !
Final position of the dual Rx batteries and the Rx itself is still to be determind in order to meet Tom`s recommended CG location
I will use his combined center fuselage fuel / smoke fluid tank in any case - Hustler has to write some nice graphics into blue our skies in any case one day !!
see you
Hans
uncleTom (10-17-2021)
Old 11-22-2021, 11:31 AM
LGM Graphix

Hi Hans
have any pictures of your hustler all together yet? Love that jet!
Old 11-24-2021, 12:48 PM
hofer

Hi Jeremy,
Well, not much to report actually !
Had to complete a Suchoi Su-29 from sebart for one of my clubmembers ( who I am tutoring in order to become a decent flyer ! )
Then I have bought another e-glider ( a real hot one - Backfire2 from Petr Janku ) - I do love high powered gliders !
Both projects are complete by now, but I face another problem with Hustler - I breached the Duebendorf CTR recently when I let fly another glider for my brother ( who I am tutoring as well )
We were less than the 5 kilometers away from the airbase reference point while doing this !
Police came up and the verdict is that I am not allowed to fly from my beloved Duebendorf base for the forseeable future !! Horror !!
The case is still under investigation, but for now I do not know when I might fly again from those long runways ( a must for Hustler of course ! )
Very sorry about all this and I really hope that there will be a mild verdict for my wrong doing !
see you
Hans
Old 12-07-2021, 07:51 AM
LGM Graphix

Hi Hans
That's a total drag about your flying site. We are having tough times with flying sites here too. On top of that all the wild fires during the flying season have grounded turbine flying the last couple of years. I hope that you find a good location for the hustler and your firebird!
Jeremy
Old 12-07-2021, 08:37 AM
hofer

Hi Jeremy,
Well, the final verdict on this case turned out to be heavy for me, but of course I have to accept it !
No flying for me at Duebendorf airbase until the end of July !!
From August the 1st, I can resume flight ops at my beloved field !
Hence, I have continued on Hustler - tanks are in and connected, gears are in and I am in the process of plumbing up the doors, the gears and brakes ( that is quite a task )
Already wondering whether all these pneumatic lines will end up at the correct connectors !
Some pics to arrive soon
see you
Hans

PS: I will join some other fields in order to fly my high speed e-gliders - just have to keep my reflexes awake to be ready for Tom`s arrows
Old 12-08-2021, 11:58 AM
hofer

Hi all,
And here some pics as promised - the gears and doors function just perfectly !
That is due to the engeneering and precise manufacturing of Tom Cook - you get spoiled while working on this ship - everything just fits in and works as intended !
O.k., the "Spagetti" interior needs a clean up !
see you
Hans

And the vent for the smoke tank here:

The following 3 users liked this post by hofer:
grbaker (12-10-2021), Halcyon66 (12-10-2021), uncleTom (12-09-2021)
Old 12-10-2021, 12:27 PM
hofer

Hi all,
And started the internal clean up from the users side
Oh, Hustler is really a very demanding plane concerning systems - a lot of flight controls, a lot of pneumatics and a lot of fuel lines ( including the smoke tank ) !
Trying the my best to keep things neat and tidy !
see you
Hans

Last edited by hofer; 12-10-2021 at 12:31 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by hofer:
grbaker (12-10-2021), Halcyon66 (12-10-2021)
Old 12-10-2021, 01:25 PM
George

Looking good Hans, July will be here before you know it!!

You will love it, I just to fly mine this past weekend. I was hesitant to fly from my local field (not the smoothest grass), but it managed fine, so may find myself flying it more now.

Keep up the good work?
grbaker (12-10-2021)
Old 12-11-2021, 06:21 AM
hofer

Hi George,
What kind of turbine is pushing your Hustler ? ( I guess Rod had a Jetcat 160 on it ? )
Yes, summertime will soon be here !
I do have quite a number of tasks to do until end of July
see you
Hans

PS: Gaspar from x-coy just released his newest creation - a 180N motor
I strongly believe that he is working on a +/- 250N example as well - now that one would be my favourite for sure !!

Last edited by hofer; 12-11-2021 at 06:24 AM.
Old 12-13-2021, 12:28 PM
hofer

Hi all,
And, after hooking up all the airlines, I tried the gear/door/brake functions today - total disaster !!
- the gear is up when it should be down ( easily correctable via tx of course )
- the doors are closed when they should be open ( correctable by exchanging the two feeding airlines to the door valve )
- then, the brake servo just smoked up - it ran into hard stops of the PCU mechanics and I did not notce it until it was gone ( should have started with just 50% travel
- well, you always know better afterwards )!
- the mutiple gear up lines have a leak somewhere - the huge tank empties whithin 1min of gear up - could not figure out where yet, but I really did all the
connections with utmost care
- let`s hope it`s not in the PCU !

All in all - just a horrible comeout !!
The gears and doors, controlled by Tom`s sequencer, function the wrong way round because Futaba tx/rx have reversed mV compared to all other systems - just forgot about that !
That failure is the easiest one to correct
The servo - well it is hard to get my hands on another JR 8711 over here in Europe
The airleak - I hate it - will probably use some rasor foam in order to find out the leaking spot
Again, all in all, a huge set back for me here !!
see you
Hans

Last edited by hofer; 12-13-2021 at 12:37 PM.
Old 12-13-2021, 03:47 PM
LGM Graphix

Sorry to hear of the troubles Hans. I don't have an 8711 servo but if it's tough getting JR servos there I have an 8611 I'd happily send you. The brake valve doesn't require even that much torque. If you'd like me to send you the 8611 I have I'd gladly do that. It's used but good.
Old 12-13-2021, 06:23 PM
George

Sorry to hear Hans, all I can say is...Air sucks!!!, but still a necessary evil in some cases. I have considered switching it to electric, but would be a small fortune and not sure I can find the correct combination of gear and struts without modification.

As far as turbine...yes, Rod had a P160 in it, but I fitted a P220 (turned down of course).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.