Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

CARF Touch up paint

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

CARF Touch up paint

Old 06-22-2022, 09:58 AM
jvaliensi
My Feedback: (1)

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Default CARF Touch up paint

Hi,
I need to touch up some boogers on my wing, The wing is brand new. If I get CARF paint what are the steps needed to make it look good?
1. I figure I need to sand out the defects with very fine paper, like 1000G and 2000G.
2. For the small areas needing repaint is it okay to not use primer?
3. Assuming the colors match and I add their top coat clear, how do I blend it in so the tape lines are not seen?
4. What kind of thinner does CARF paint use? Does the paint come with instructions?
5. The area is only a couple square inches and two colors, will an air brush be enough?

Perhaps I can hire a painter, any recommendations for the Los Angeles area?

Thank you,
Old 06-22-2022, 11:24 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 497 Likes on 372 Posts

To get a match you need to understand the process. CARF paint outside in, so to match you might need all the colours on your model, layer as lightest to darkest.
Easiest way is to have the colour you are fixing match is take it to a paint mixer and have it scanned.
No clear coat on many of CARF’s models.

Best thing is talk to your rep. He can explain paint, might know someone in your area.
Old 06-22-2022, 11:50 AM
jvaliensi

I found the instructions.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
CARF Paint Tips.pdf (29.7 KB, 41 views)
File Type: pdf
CARF Paint Tips.pdf (29.7 KB, 16 views)
Old 06-22-2022, 11:54 AM
jvaliensi

Its silver, dark orange and charcoal. CARF does not list these colors on their site. I ask my rep to inquire.
I don't know the smallest amount I can get from an automotive paint supplier. I surely don't want three gallons!
Old 06-22-2022, 01:12 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 497 Likes on 372 Posts

Item Number: 970022 Dark Orange
There are coarse or fine silvers…
970025. Grey

Last edited by Dave Wilshere; 06-22-2022 at 01:19 PM.
Old 06-22-2022, 02:23 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by jvaliensi View Post
Its silver, dark orange and charcoal. CARF does not list these colors on their site. I ask my rep to inquire.
I don't know the smallest amount I can get from an automotive paint supplier. I surely don't want three gallons!
This kind of painting is not for the uninitiated. IF you've never done anything like this, and expect the results to match the factory paint, best hire someone who knows how to do this color matching/blending work. It's not simple......
Old 06-22-2022, 04:42 PM
jvaliensi

Thx Zeeb.
That would be my preference.
Old 06-22-2022, 05:59 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Good tips here

Flying%20Surface%20Spot%20Repairs.pdf
Old 06-23-2022, 05:14 AM
jvaliensi

My airplane has the cayman paint scheme. So, I could mask off the sections that need repaired and then blending is not needed. Any slight color difference wouldn't be noticeable.

My questions are
What grit of sand paper should I use? I need to clean off the Zap and then sand smooth enough so the scratches don't show thru the paint.
Does the CARF touch up pain dry glossy, or do I need to color sand and polish?

I guess getting the paint from CARF will cost $200 and I hope I don't need to buy another $200 in supplies.

The tips from BVM were quite detailed. I checked their web site and they don't sell the materials that they used too.
Old 06-23-2022, 02:07 PM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 109 Likes on 102 Posts

My airplane has the cayman paint scheme. So, I could mask off the sections that need repaired and then blending is not needed. Any slight color difference wouldn't be noticeable.

My questions are
What grit of sand paper should I use? I need to clean off the Zap and then sand smooth enough so the scratches don't show thru the paint.

I guess getting the paint from CARF will cost $200 and I hope I don't need to buy another $200 in supplies.

The tips from BVM were quite detailed. I checked their web site and they don't sell the materials that they used too.
Do yourself a favour, get it done by someone…..
Old 06-24-2022, 06:35 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Dansy View Post
Do yourself a favour, get it done by someone…..

Of course if you want to become a modeler instead of just a flyer, you'll learn how to do it yourself. Its not rocket science...

Bob
Old 06-24-2022, 07:26 AM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 109 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by rhklenke View Post
Of course if you want to become a modeler instead of just a flyer, you'll learn how to do it yourself. Its not rocket science...

Bob
Oh I can do it…in fact there’s not much I cannot do, even thing I don’t know……but for some it can be a real struggle…

not saying it’s for him….but by his post here, I don’t think he’s ready to do it to his satisfaction…..
Old 06-24-2022, 07:58 AM
jvaliensi

If I find someone I trust to do it, I will hire them. I've seen work that I was not impressed with.
Old 06-24-2022, 08:41 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Dansy View Post
Oh I can do it…in fact there’s not much I cannot do, even thing I don’t know……but for some it can be a real struggle…

not saying it’s for him….but by his post here, I don’t think he’s ready to do it to his satisfaction…..
I'm sure you can, and I can (at least close), but at one time, we couldn't. We learned how to do it by reading, asking, trying, and eventually doing.

He should consider giving it a shot himself, or at least, finding someone who will *show him how to do it*, not just do it for him...

Bob

ps. when I said "you", I didn't mean "you" you, I really meant him...

Last edited by rhklenke; 06-24-2022 at 10:15 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Auburn02 (06-30-2022)
Old 06-24-2022, 10:16 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

My questions are

The only material I see that is BVM proprietary is the pinhole filler. I would be shocked if this stuff has been dropped but it is 2022 so who knows (you cant even get purple retracts from BVM any more). You dont absolutely need it. Everything else is normal body shop stuff (not Pep boys, but a real paint jobber). I would sand up to at least 400 after primer before paint, but BVM goes up to 800, then color sand up to 3200 then polish.

The hard part is matching the color. Personally, I would just get the paint from the kit supplier but it probably wont be perfect match due to sun fading of the base color. I dont know but I suspect the factory paint is single stage, no clearcoat. To blend a single stage paint and make it look perfect, you have to do what BVM lists, but he used a blender at the end specific to PPG range. I have no idea what comp arf uses.

You can try to color match the paint, if I did that I would use PPG (whatever their current single stage catalyzed polyurethane is) but that would be $$$. In fact all automotive paint costs a lot.

You need a way to spray the paint, depending how big the area is will determine what will work. A large airbrush can work I prefer a small paint gun.

EDIT: this is exactly why I put at least pencil panel lines on everything, so you can mask a repair to a panel line. An old timer taught me that

Last edited by mr_matt; 06-24-2022 at 03:25 PM.
patf (06-24-2022)
Old 06-25-2022, 10:56 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Bad advice for a first timer. He's got a pretty spendy model with a new wing needing some fixing on the paint. IMHO, this is NOT the model to start learning on but what do I know most of my experience is with full scale paint work.
Old 06-28-2022, 04:49 PM
jvaliensi

Well this adventure has ended. Paint is not readily available and one of the colors is a custom mix.
And I will not try to fix it or get some one else to.
Old Today, 09:32 AM
scoeroo
My Feedback: (9)

Put a stylish product or sponsor sticker ..... something of that nature to cover the blemish
Old Today, 11:45 AM
jvaliensi

I sanded the glue off and the wing smooth with some extremely fine sandpaper from Zona. The I polished it with plastic polish. The clear coat was removed and some of the paint down to the primer.
I then covered the boo-boo with vinyl that matched pretty close. I didn't have any thing close to the charcoal but it was only a tiny amount of damage to it.

grbaker (Today)