Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

When connecting rods go bad...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

When connecting rods go bad...

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2002, 01:04 AM
Cowdog
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When connecting rods go bad...

Decided to make sure the ol O.S. 91 in my F-18 was running ok before the DFW rodeo meet.

Engine ran great for about 5 minutes. Shut it down and put another 1/2 tank in and started back up. Running fine.. doing some brake checks with the engine running at full speed when the engine goes WHACK and stops dead

uh oh

Walk over a and the rotor doesn't turn more than a 1/4 turn in either direction.

UH OH!

Take it home and open the engine up..

Hmm what are all these little metal pieces doing on top of the piston? and why won't the piston move? Take out the carb and shaft and out drops the crank shaft..... minus about half its length..

ARRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!

at least it happened on the ground...

Cowdog
Old 06-15-2002, 02:28 AM
Kevin Greene
My Feedback: (85)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Con Rods

I always used RPM rods in all of my OS DF engines, especially the engines used in Viojet and Dynamax installations. When you replace that rod be sure to make sure that no metal has transferred from the rod to the crank pin. Otherwise, you will be changing another rod soon!!! For a real power boost I used Dave Shadel's piston and sleeve when the stock unit wore out.

Kevin
Old 06-15-2002, 02:50 AM
SUMMIT120

Default Con Rods

Hank,

Sorry to hear about your engine. It seems like you got a lot of good runs on that one, however.

I don't think that RPM is in business anymore. His products were excellent when they were available.

Joe B crashed his Starfire. He was running the same engine that you were using. You might be able to work something out.

Mike D.
Old 06-15-2002, 05:38 AM
Cowdog
My Feedback: (13)

Hi Mike,

I've already got my spare installed tonight. I'll give it a run tomorrow and see how it goes.

This one's not blue-printed like the other one was... wonder if that overstresses the engine and revs it to high??

Hank
Old 06-15-2002, 02:10 PM
XCaliber
My Feedback: (104)

Kevin,
Where can I get a Dave Shadel's Piston & sleeve?
Is the sleeve aluminum or brass?
& what is the price for the set?
Thanks, MB
Old 06-15-2002, 05:54 PM
SUMMIT120

Default Piston and Sleeve

YS Performance sells the Shadel accessories. The other hot ticket for the OS is to get one modified by Ackerman.

Mike Danchak