Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

F-86 Question

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

F-86 Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 09:52 PM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default F-86 Question

In the process of setting up a large F-86 and I have a question regarding the air brakes that extend from both sides of the fuselage. Someone asked me if these are actually deployed while still in the landing approach or only after touchdown to slow the plane down on the rollout. Well, I really don't know for sure but I suspect they are deployed at just about the same time full flaps are. Who knows for sure?
Old 05-19-2004, 10:19 PM
kevinthoele
My Feedback: (1)

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts
Default RE: F-86 Question

I have flown the planes plus big sabre. I used the speed boards on final approach as to allow throttle to be used to control touch down point. The extra drag on the plane with the boards out makes it a dream to land.

Kevin Thoele
Texas Jets
Old 05-20-2004, 09:28 AM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Kevin,

Thanks for your reply. That is what I thought should be done. Mine is also a Planes Plus F-86.
Old 05-20-2004, 11:22 AM
HalH
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The speed brakes will allow making an approach and landing with more power and that will allow one to make a go around easier since the engine will not spool up as slow.

In the Navy we flew the FJ4B Fury with the speed brakes extended during approach and landing to keep the engine running at a higher rpm to avoid a rough running range and also to provide better go around performance. The speed brakes were retracted upon touchdown on carrier landings and full throttle was applied at the same time.
Old 05-21-2004, 08:52 AM
fred cesquim

hello gentleman!
just as a curiosity, i have built a planes plus(fiberclassics|) big one for a client, and he´s complaining about flex of the wings. do this happen to you´rs too? i think that the carbon fiber longerons are too short t o take car of those wings....
thanks!
Old 05-21-2004, 11:48 AM
JET FX

Hi Fred, Dont worry about the 'wing flex' on the F/C F86... I was very also very worried about this after my maiden flight and therefor the first couple of flights I took very easy for this reason alone as I had heard about the flex concerns also. I ended up contacting Andreas Geitz the designer of the F/C F86 and he said not to worry about this at all and wing flex is limited to approx 6-8mm max as the composite wing is designed this way and is so strong it will not break.
So since then I have flown my F86 much more aggressively and she handles just fine, and with absolutely no sign of any further flex problems. The stock carbon rod longerons are just fine trust me! as I also had my worry's that too is why I contacted Andreas.
The F/C and Composite ARF Mig 15 share a similar internal wing structure as the F/C F86. You can go to the Composite ARF website and download the Mig 15 instruction manual then you can see yourself the internal structure of the wing quite clearly, this helps to show how the wing design loading is evenly distributed...
Its a great flying aircraft and looks 100% scale in the air and a dream to land, just remember to carry a bit of thrust all the way to the threshold and use the throttle to control your landing flare and deploy the speed brakes on final approach (only for show, as there not really needed) the rest is a breeze...
Go here for more on my experiences with the Fiber Classics F86 http://www.TJT.bz/board/viewtopic.php?t=16