Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

My SimJet Sonic's first run

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

My SimJet Sonic's first run

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2002, 01:17 PM
Modelman
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My SimJet Sonic's first run

Hi All,

I'm beside myself with excitement! My Simjet Sonic 120 ran for the first time yesterday. The experience can be summed-up in two words... Perfectly Flawless!

The engine started, idled and throttled smoothly and seamlessly the first time! All systems worked as advertised. This engine is a jewel! To add icing to the cake, I built the Sonic myself! I will continue to run her on the test stand for a few more days, performing checks and familiarizing, before I send her to Denmark for the final sign-off. I have to tell you... The throttle response is non existant! You go from idle to full throttle and the engine follows suit immediately and smoothly. It's amazing!

I'm very pumped! Can't wait to get her airborne!

Craig
Old 07-05-2002, 03:15 PM
Pete S-RCU

Default My SimJet Sonic's first run

congratulations Craig,

I've been thinking of building a sonic 120 myself.
How did you find the assembly?
Was it straight forward, clear instructions etc.?

What ecu does it have, is it the D1-???
What will you install it in?
That's 23 lbs thrust correct?

Good Luck,
Old 07-05-2002, 03:44 PM
Modelman
My Feedback: (7)

Default Sonic 120

Hi Pete,

The assembly was a piece-O'-cake. Literally screw it together. The instructions were clear enough (there are new assembly instructions for the Sonic's currently being written).

The kit was shipped with the D-1 ECU and it worked wonderfully!

As for the thrust, it's rated at 24.5 lbs. But the ECU is shipped to you not allowing full RPM. This is a safety feature. The ECU allows you to start and run the engine to 110k. This is enough to make all your checks, etc. And to verify that the engine operates. Once satisfied, you send the engine to SimJet and they will perform the final balancing and checks (this is included in the cost of the kit). They will then return the inspected/final balanced engine with the RPM limiter removed.

I noticed no adverse vibration/whine during the initial run. The compressor, shaft and turbine are prebalanced at the factory and easy to reassemble because of the marked components.

The engine is initially going into my Roo for flight verification. Although I may wait for the Data Terminal so I can derate the engine. I also have a Cermark MB 339 ARF (engine needs derating here too). I'm looking at the Trim F-86 as well.

Well, off to run her again!

Craig