Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Eurosport w/ 22-24lb engine

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Eurosport w/ 22-24lb engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2004, 11:12 AM
J. Campbell
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eurosport w/ 22-24lb engine

Hello, I was wondering if anyone has any info on flying the c-arf eurosport on a 22 to 24 lb actual thrust engine. I will be flying from blacktop, Dont need unlimited performance to satisfly but do not want sluggish performance either. Thanks for all replys and opinons. Russ
Old 05-30-2004, 11:28 AM
Global10
My Feedback: (20)

Default RE: Eurosport w/ 22-24lb engine

Russ,

Most of the Eurosports I am familiar with are powered by P120 power or better. Have not seen one for example with a P80. Performance with the P120 is outstanding!!!!

Jaye
Old 05-30-2004, 01:41 PM
Helijet

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I flew a customers P80 powered Eurosport. It sucked![:@]
He initially had full through ducting then removed that and went with no front ducting, and a straight pipe. It improved a little but overall performance was poor with the throttle mostly at full for most of the flight. Perhaps at sea level you may have a bit better luck - then again pigs fly better at sea level too

Dean
www.helijet.ca
Old 05-30-2004, 04:08 PM
cajet
My Feedback: (10)

I agree, You need a P-120. P-80 oe equivalent will not be enough. In my experience 30-32lbs is perfect.
Old 05-30-2004, 06:45 PM
jetsetter

Hi Russ,
I hate to be critical but I think you are getting some bad information.
A P-80 makes 17 lbs. of thrust The P120 makes 28 lbs.( on a good day). A p 160 makes 34 lbs.
22 lbs of thrust is a 100 neuton motor, thus you have a 110, not an 80. You are only 4 lbs of thrust lower than a P 120. If indeed your engine is making 24 lbs, I would use it!!
BTW, I am Positive of these facts.

Hope this helps

Larry

Rep for NONE......and proud of it
Old 05-30-2004, 06:48 PM
SJN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine flew great with a simjet 2300.
But the field I fly at is VERY small, so i bought a Simjet 3000 SP so it would take off easier.
Top speed has not improved much, but vertical is much better.
I fly without full ducting.
Old 05-31-2004, 09:51 AM
J. Campbell
My Feedback: (31)

the particular engines i am considering using are either the simjet 2300plus which is rated for 25lbs OR the FTE/RAM 750 which is stated on tianos website as giving out 24lbs and is rated for 22. I like the tiano turbine because i liked ram, also it has the option on the start box of spinning the starter motor by pushing the "air" button. Something i miss on the simjet engines.
Old 06-01-2004, 01:23 AM
Stig Andersen

This past weekend I maidened my ES with an old SimJet 1700 which produces 21 pounds of thrust. The plane flies great on that power, but vertical performance is limited, of course. If you fly off a hard top, there should be no problem at all, with that power. No matter what engine you choose.
Old 06-01-2004, 02:41 AM
bahamadude

I think it wont be a problem though.The L1011 weighs 32 lbs ready to fly and uses a 17 lbs thrust for power and flies well @ 24%-50 % throttle crusing @ 90 mph.

I c no reason why the euro cant fly on a 24 lbs thrust engine. It wasnt made to fly fast but if you dont mine not having almost unlimited verticals then you can answer ya own question.
Old 06-01-2004, 10:13 AM
jetjockey
My Feedback: (8)

I have a EuroSport converted to full scale with missles, gear doors, etc. It has inlet ducting, no bypass, TAM's bifurcated exhaust duct, spine air brake, TAM's exhaust nozzles, Robart retracts, BVM F4 wheels and brakes, and was flown at the ScaleMaster's qualifier in Mesa, AZ this past Feb. I started out with a P-120, and flew it many flights both for practice and in competition. It weighs 30# dry and carries about 140 oz of fuel in 4 tanks. The airplane was very marginal with the 120, and would fly, but was pretty soft on take off and I had to fly pretty much full throttle all the time to do my manuvers which weren't all that radical. For the competition, I did a loop, a roll, a chandelle, a fast flyby, a slow and dirty flyby, an immelman, and a split S. Most of the vertical manuvers had to be led into with full throttle and a slight dive to gain the necessary speed to carry over the top. I recently retrofitted the EF with a JetCat P 160 with a new TAM's pipe and the machine came alive - finally! Now I can do the verticals with ease from straight and level - start with about 3/4 throttle, full throttle on the climb and ease off on the down side - no problem. I can pull the throttle back to 1/2 - 3/4 for cruise - no way with the 120. Take off's are easy and with a very nice climbout, etc. In short, the added power made the EF what it should be - a real jet fighter with performance.

My advice, since I've been there and done that for the last two years? Depends on what you want from your machine. If you want an easy flying sport bird, keep it simple - no spine airbrake, no gear doors, do the inlet ducting (to protect the engine from FOD and will improve performance somewhat) single exhaust, minimal cockpit, keep it as light as possible and it will do a pretty good job on a 120 size engine. Anything with less power, and you're just gonna stooge around with a big glider without much vertical performance. Remember, this is a BIG, draggy airframe and it really needs a lot of push to go.

If you want high performance, go with a 160 or larger, and you can do the scale stuff, gear doors, spine airbrake, bifurcated exhaust duct, etc., stores, full cockpit, and you will have good performance in all regimes.

Regardless of which version you choose, the Achilles heel of this bird seems to be the main gear mounts. Reference the search threads concerning the ES/EF and you will see several ways to reinforce the mounts. The airframe is pretty good and very light, but the gear mounts keep breaking on hard landings and/or on grass fields. The mods outlined from Todd Whitcoff will go a long way toward solving those problems.

Good luck with your project - it is a good flying bird and lots of fun to fly.

Les Morrow
Old 06-02-2004, 07:13 AM
SA Jet Jock

I could not agree more with the last post. My ES has been built as a basic sport version but incorporating the air brake. It is powered by a BMT120GS and at 3/4 to full throttle has plenty of performance for doing the fun stuff. However, at 1/2 throttle it lacks performance and even drops its nose in the turns if banked too far. A symptom of that draggy airframe! For sport flying the 120 is adequate but because most of one's flying is at high throttle settings the fuel consumption suffers and so flight times are shortened. If I were to do a scale version I would definately rather use a 160 or even a 200.

Having said all that it is still a great jet model.

Ross
Old 06-02-2004, 01:35 PM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

..... I guess I throw in my 2 cents as well....

I probably have more flights than most on a euro and I have to agree with Les on this topic. If your looking for a plane that will do more than just "Fly", I dont suggest anything less than 27lbs of thrust. Having flown this plane for 375+ flights on P-120 power I can confirm this is just enough to get the euro to perform as intended. Anything less you will be at full throttle the entire flight just to keep the bird in the air. This past weekend I stuffed a P-160 into my bird and all I can say is AWESOME. I have flown this combination before but not with my airframe. This is the perfect match for the Euro and the extra push really makes this bird come alive. I would not suggest anything less than 27lbs if you intend to do anything more than keep the plane flying.....
Todd