Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

How many people fly turbines?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

How many people fly turbines?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 07:57 PM
azseattle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many people fly turbines?

Hello,
Just curious to know how big the turbine community is. Most of the turbine flyers (excluding a few who dont follow AMA rules) need a wavier from AMA. I guess, this would make it easier to keep track of people who fly turbines...
What stops people from flying turbines? Is it the cost or the wavier requirement or is it that people are just too afraid to try it because of the risks involved. If in the future, the costs involved in purchasing a turbine come down, would there be a possibility to see more turbine flyers?
Old 05-31-2004, 08:30 PM
jsnipes
My Feedback: (3)

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Default RE: How many people fly turbines?

I think you're already seeing a rise in the number of turbine flyers due to lower costs and more verstatile airframe designs. I can only see this trend continuing as the costs go down.

You should be able to contact the AMA and inquire on the number of current waiver holders.

JS
Old 05-31-2004, 08:40 PM
scubyfan

Of course. As prices go down, more people will turn to the hobby. I am waiting for prices to fall under $1000 tested and I'll get a couple for myself, too. The same was true of R/C and just about any other technology introduced. It has only been in the last two or three years that ready-built turbines have become available and affordable, even though many built them prior to that time, but I only see cheaper prices, greater selection, and greater reliability.

I only worry about the unqualified people who will have access to them. It's bad enough that glow powered planes crash, but with jets, the problems are sometimes compounded, with the introduction of propane, kero/jet-a, speed, etc.
Old 05-31-2004, 08:55 PM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

There's roughly 700 current waiver holders.
Old 05-31-2004, 10:01 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If I recall, the AMA said we were only 2% of the membership, but i fear their calculations are off. We are far less than that. I still like the title of being a 2%er
Old 05-31-2004, 10:27 PM
F106A
My Feedback: (2)

Hi,
If you could get sales figures from the various turbine manufacturers on how many turbines have been sold in the US that would give a much more accurate figure then the number of waiver holders. I know that there are turbine flyers that don't belong to AMA, which inflates the number above the waiver holders.
I just don't see the price of a turbine going to $1000, although it could happen I guess. I remember when the Bonner Digimite 8 came out it was $700 in 1963-64 dollars, and now the price of a radio is pretty cheap. I just don't see that there will be enough demand, unlike radio's that everyone needs to fly r/c, to drive the cost of turbines much lower than they are today.
Plus, a lot of people I talk to don't want anything to do with turbines, mostly because of the personal liability issue, especially things related to crashes and fire. Also, they just don't want to sink that kind of money in a model. I think you'd be hard pressed to spend less than $3500-$4000 to get into turbine modeling.
Jon
Old 06-01-2004, 07:07 AM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

scubyfan
I think you're going to be waiting a long time. You can't find used turbines for under a $1000 now and prices on new ones are not going down.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:13 AM
Flyjets
My Feedback: (51)

Hi Guy's

This is the current list of all the USA Turbine Waiver holders as of 5/25/04

http://www.modelaircraft.org/templat...-files/566.pdf

I never added them up but it looks to be under 1000 folks.

Best Of Luck

Ian
Old 06-01-2004, 09:17 AM
Shok
My Feedback: (28)

http://www.modelaircraft.org/templat...-files/566.pdf = 817 current waiver holders
Old 06-01-2004, 09:33 AM
F106A
My Feedback: (2)

It looks like there are approximately 825 waiver holders.
Old 06-01-2004, 11:28 AM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In Canada we estimate the number of jet flyers at less than 100... something like 80 or so.

The general rule is that the USA has 10 times the number of flyers (in most disciplines) so that seems about right...

I know the nearest jet flyer (turbine or DF) is a 4 hour drive from me, and the nearest "group" (of more than 1 or two) is about 6 to 7 hours away.

Most people I know like to see them run, but have no interest in actually owning one, for many reasons. The main one is $$ I think. I know I gave up buying a lot of other "traditional" planes and engines to fund my two sport kits and engines...

But its worth it!

AJC
Old 06-01-2004, 11:37 AM
mr_matt

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Is the question how many people FLY turbines or own them?

2 very different answers I can assure you.
Old 06-01-2004, 11:56 AM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: F106A
If you could get sales figures from the various turbine manufacturers on how many turbines have been sold in the US that would give a much more accurate figure then the number of waiver holders.
Only if you know how to correct for

(a) how many people own more than one engine
(b) how many people own engines without actually flying them
(c) how many engines have been destroyed

Gordon
Old 06-01-2004, 03:14 PM
azseattle

Okay, how about this..on average, what would the number of turbine engine owners in the US or the world?. This would be easier to figure out by looking at the sales figures from jetcat, wren etc. Im sure most people who fly turbines own more than 1 engines at times.
Why would some company want to mass produce turbines if there are only 1000 turbine flyers in the US? Do you guys think that these companies are monopolies hence charging high prices?
I know that if you bring the prices of a turbine engine down ot 300-400$, you will see this number of 1000 increased to a couple of thousands. I've seen people defending these high prices on other posts. Wouldnt the people who have to drive for hours before meeting another group of turbine flyers be happy to have more turbine flyers in the community?
by the way, are the high prices of turbine plane kits also due to the high prices of turbines in any respect?
Old 06-01-2004, 03:31 PM
mr_matt

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: azseattle

Do you guys think that these companies are monopolies hence charging high prices?

Monopoly! You gotta be kidding, there are more turbine "manufacturers" than there have ever been. No one has a monopoly. Of course, this is according to their advertising, I'll let the reader be the judge of what being a "manufacturer" entails in their mind.

JetCat USA has given out their sales numbers in the past, in the hope that others might do likewise, in order for the manufacturers to better judge the market size....to date I do not think anyone else did.

IMHO, you are not going to see meaningful price reductions until the volumes go up by one to 2 orders of magnitude (10X to 100x)
Old 06-01-2004, 06:21 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

it almost seems to me that there maybe more turbine manufacturers than there are ICU manufacturers. The turbine manufacturers have more than us as a market, they have they private sector(us), the military and the business sector who are all part of this market. So in that case then the # of turbines sold would not be an accurate #.
Old 06-02-2004, 12:50 AM
AlW
My Feedback: (17)

The number of turbine waiver holders has little to do with the number of people who actually FLY turbines I know four guys in my area who currently hold waivers and have never even run a turbine nuch less fly one-one of them has had a waiver since 2000 and has never owned a turbine. By my count we have six active turbine flyers in the general area so if this were to hold true across the country only 60% of current waiver holders actually fly turbines. With the new rules and the requirement to fly so many times per year I expect to see a big reduction in the number of waiver holders.
Al Watson
Old 06-02-2004, 03:48 AM
azseattle

Hey Al,
please respond to my private message.