Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

question about rudders as airbrakes

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

question about rudders as airbrakes

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 11:35 AM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default question about rudders as airbrakes

I am ready to test fly my super reaper - after installing a larger engine withmore residual thrust, I was thinking perhaps using the two rudders as airbrakes will help.

ANyone doing this with any models?

Do you move them inwards or outwards or is there a difference? I have the dial on my transmitter to go either way.

I assume the nose will pitch up, and I will have to mix in some down elevator - correct?

Thanks for any advice or personal experiences...

AJC
Old 06-01-2004, 12:11 PM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: question about rudders as airbrakes

I hope you get some response from this. If not, let us know how the test flights go.
Old 06-01-2004, 12:46 PM
dbarrym
My Feedback: (47)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since no one has responded yet...I haven't tried this on a jet, but I have used rudder drag brakes on R/C sailplanes (Klingberg Wings) as well as a (full scale) VariEze.

Make the rudders turn OUT, this seems to be more stable than turning them in, though I do not know why. I did not notice any pitching moment with any of the models.

Barry
Old 06-01-2004, 12:54 PM
jetflyer
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AJC,

I seem to remember reading a post where another Reaper flyer used rudders as airbrakes by pushing them outwards. Although it seems that Reaper flyers are saying just keep the nose high on landing and it slows down nicely. I think you already know I have a 750P in my Reaper it will fly right on by straight and level on just residual thrust. Because the grass field I am flying off has a barbed wire fence at each end of the runway, I have not tried doing a powered nose high landing. So far I've just shut the turbine down as I cross the runway and it comes right on in.

After I test out my new canards, I'm going to another flying field that has pavement and no fences and I will try a powered nose high landing. I might also try setting up my rudders as airbrakes since I have them on separate servos. I'll give that a try this weekend.

JR Gautreaux
Old 06-01-2004, 01:04 PM
cairoman

Andrew,

Mick Reeves has tried this (rudders/airbrake)with his first S.Reaper. He said it was O.K. but not very effective. The other thing he recommended, was to install an airbrake a la F15/Hotspot on top of the rear hatch, or a la Kangaroo at the bottom of the fuselage, in front of the main gear.

BRG,
Chris
Old 06-01-2004, 04:34 PM
ajcoholic

Chris, if I can help it, I dont want to add another servo and the "mess" of another moving part... hence why I wanted to try the rudders.

Jetflyer,
I went from my 12 pound Wren to a KJ66 based engine (Canadian made Moore's SUper 66) with 22 pounds (I have it set at 115,000 max rpm) thrust, and it is a noticeable increase when at idle compared to the WRen.

Even with the Wren, I had trouble getting it to come down and land on the short (380') strip I fly from. I think for the first re-test flight I will maybe take your lead and just shut down the engine...

I hope to get out within a week and see what happens. The extra power will certainly be nice to take offs but I am a bit worried about getting it slowed down to land!

I figured outwards would be better, and keep them away from the exhaust plume also. There is a lot of movement there, though, and I would think (but its just my thinking) that it would act in some way to aid braking. I guess I will have to try it up a bit higher and see.

AJC
Old 06-01-2004, 06:51 PM
jetflyer

AJC,

380' runway...you will have to shut down the turbine unless you get the hang of nose high powered landings. My grass field runway is 600'.

Yes, you will like the take offs with the additional power. They are pretty much uneventful for me. I hold my brakes and ease the stick to 1/2 throttle and during the spool up, once the Reaper feels like it will want to move, I release the brakes and it generally breaks ground in about 100 or so feet. Once it breaks ground I go to 3/4 throttle for the climb out and then back down to under 1/2. Most of my flight is done between 1/3 to 1/2 throttle. On the maiden flight, I had the 750P turned up to 16lbs and it climbed out like a bat out of h@ll. It was also quite fast in the air. Even though my 750P will put out 22lbs, I don't think I would ever go above 16lbs.

Keep me posted on your flight.

JR Gautreaux
Old 06-01-2004, 08:45 PM
ajcoholic

JR,
FUnny thing, I started in 2002 with the Reaper and WRen MW54 combo. I had over a dozen flights that I landed the jet just fine, right on the edge of the runway and not too much bounce or none even. Then last year, I started off on a bad run of bouncy landings and just couldnt get the feel I had initially - I guess I psyched myself out so to speak. I damaged the plane three times, the last one it flipped over onto its back and broke the nose clean off.

I had to use pretty much the whole runway with the Wren to get off - so with the larger engine I will solve that issue

I am approaching the jet this year with the attitude "I can do it" so... we'll see I guess

I remember getting the nose up and the jet slowed down to where the wings started rocking - it was going really slow at that point, but it getting the jet to slow down at the right time, to set it down right over the edge of the runway and use the rest for roll out and to slow down and turn around.

Thats why I thought I'd try the air brakes. But still think shutting down for at least the first few landing approaches is a good idea.

AJC
Old 06-01-2004, 10:53 PM
jetflyer

AJC,

If you don't mind your pride showing a bit by having to walk down the runway to pick up your jet instead of taxiing back, then do as I do. At least I know I'm guaranteed another flight.

What's funny is to hear the other guys at the field talking amongst themselves - Did his turbine quit? Did he do that, shut it off? Wonder what happen? At least it quit while he was landing.

I tell you, after only 7 flights, I am really getting to feel the Reaper. I decided to shut down the turbine on landing so I could get a better feel on how the Reaper will land. My landings are getting better and better. I found if you release the stick just as the nose wheel is about to touch she does not bounce. My guess is with such a large wing area any bit of elevator pressure is enough to make the Reaper bounce if the nose hits too hard. My 5th and 6th landings were perfect. With my 7th, it took a bounce about 3' up and I held the elevator where it was at before the bounce. The mains touched and before the nose hit, I released the stick and she stuck and rolled out.

Got the right canard sanded and the robart hinge points dry fitted. Tomorrow I will finish up on the left and hopefully start glassing them. I was going to do Monokote again, but decided I might as well glass them so if the break again...well...at least I did everything I could.

JR Gautreaux
Old 06-02-2004, 06:16 AM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I did the rudder speed brake thing on two planes: my Hotspot and a friend's Kangaroo. I don't believe I ever flew the Roo without it, but I flew my Hotspot several times without and all the rest with. I made the rudders go out on both and linked them to the speed brake. It made a small difference in drag on the Hotspot, but not as much as you'd think. I noticed no appreciable nose up pitch, at least not enough to worry about. If I had a plane like that, I'd do it again. Gives me something to use those 12 channels on!
Old 06-02-2004, 09:22 AM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

There was a thread like this a year ago on doing it with a bobcat or something simiilar. The way I remember the thread, the general thought was that it wasn't worth the effort.

I personally can't see any harm in doing it. It's not like your plane is gonna fall out of the air when you throw them out or in.

Go for it and let us know!
Old 06-02-2004, 09:23 AM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Wocket, call me this evening.
Old 06-02-2004, 11:23 AM
ajcoholic

ORIGINAL: jetflyer

AJC,

If you don't mind your pride showing a bit by having to walk down the runway to pick up your jet instead of taxiing back, then do as I do. At least I know I'm guaranteed another flight.
JR Gautreaux

JR, no pride needed or necessary, its just me, my flying buddy and the blackflies....

Sean I remember something about this too in the past but at the time wasnt too interested and dont think I read the threads. I will give it a go and get back to this. Maybe tonight? If the rain holds out...

AJC
Old 06-05-2004, 04:37 PM
ajcoholic

Today I got to fly my Super Reaper with the engine set at 20 pounds thrust max. Wow, it certainly GOES! I forgot how much fun this plane was to fly, and the power certainly makes take offs and climbing manouvers a thrill.

I did a few approaches, and tried the rudders spayed out. It didnt really seem to do much of anything! It was quite windy, and I will try again in still air.

I ended up taking Jetflyer's advice, and after a few more approaches at idle where I was never going to land it on the short runway, I set up to land, and killed the engine. Glided in for a perfect touchdown.

Thats the way I will land from now on I guess! It works (unless of course I get to fly at a field with a lot more strip)

AJC
Old 06-06-2004, 03:05 AM
garrett_mcdonal

Hi AJC,

I've dusted off my Reaper and hope to get it back in the air this week. I made a 2.6l fiberglass tank and have added a 2nd rudder so I can set them up as airbrakes. I had previously added a belly speedbrake that is somewhat effective. I'm hoping that the combination of the belly speedbrake plus the rudder speedbrakes will allow me to get down on the short strip I am flying from at the moment without killing the engine. If not, I'll just have to take the path of killing the engine and gliding in.

Here's a photo of the tank.

Regards,
Garrett
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90759.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	139946  
Old 06-06-2004, 08:14 AM
ajcoholic

Nice tank Garrett - I remember you were flying the Reaper quite a bit back when I was just starting to fly mine in 2002. I didnt get to fly it much last summer, but now I am hoping to get many flights on it this season.

AJC