Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Any building tips or suggestions on a YA F15 ?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Any building tips or suggestions on a YA F15 ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2004, 04:58 PM
Steve S
My Feedback: (54)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any building tips or suggestions on a YA F15 ?

Now that my business has loosened the rope around my neck a bit ,finally found a worthwhile helper to take some of the workload off my shoulders !! I got my Bobcat almost done this week and my YA F18 is about 10 hours away from completion.Next to get on is my new YA F15 and mannnn is she bad to the bone too! Power will be a Ram1000 .The craftmanship on this kit is AWESOME and the gear well its SWEET.Ohh and lets not forget Tam's talent with the SS Bifricated pipe.The Aeroloft transfers are sweet too!!

I know many of you on here have built one of these beauties already so I would like to know if there is anything I should do differently than what the manual calls for ,or anything in addition to it.Any areas of concern potentially?What are you using for servos on the flying surfaces?I was glancing at the verticals and it appears that you could squeeze some hitec or JR wing servos in there,whatcha think?

Well TIA,Steve
Old 06-04-2004, 10:21 PM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

Default RE: Any building tips or suggestions on a YA F15 ?

Steve,
Here's what I suggest....Finish ONE plane that can complete an entire flight without any issues, then practice for your waiver. Take that F-15 and stick it somewhere you wont step on it , drop something on it or even attempt to build it for the next year while you learn to build and fly jets. Then....maybe, just maybe that F15 will actually fly....... Your bobcat has more damage to it than most crashed ones and it's not even finished.

Sorry to be so harsh here dude but you really need to stop the BS and start paying attention..... You have alot to learn and everyone around you is trying to help [sm=stupid.gif] How many planes are you going to destroy before you wise up? You will NEVER get a waiver with your current flying and building skills, your NOT ready!

Take it for what it's worth.....

Todd
Old 06-04-2004, 10:23 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

YIKES I am awake now!!
Old 06-04-2004, 11:39 PM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Hey Todd
Don't sugar-coat it like that. Tell him how you really feel.
Old 06-05-2004, 01:08 AM
KFalcon
My Feedback: (18)

I don't know Todd, maybe you could have used the PM button for that one?
Old 06-05-2004, 02:50 AM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ouch....

Steve,

Here are some of the things I did:

I cut a small hole into the underside of the speed-brake and filled the bottom couple of inches with epoxy/filler mix to solidify the two arms that have to be drilled through for the axle. It may not be necessary on yours, but what happens is the carbon roving inside there will throw your drill off and you'll have a screwed-up hole. I only used 1/2 oz of epoxy for this.

Mount the air cylinders for the inner main doors to a plywood bracket that you can make from scrap which you'll glue to the bottom of the fuse under the bypass. This way, your air cylinders are lying flat instead of mounting them vertically. It will save a lot of work and trouble. Generally, the instructions are pretty good. I don't see any need to go cutting into the verticals and make an ugly exposed actuator. You need only be careful and particular about the position of the center pivot of the hinge points in the rudder to use the very ingenious, concealed plug-n-play rudder system that the kit comes with.

When gluing your retract mounts to the formers, bolt the retracts to them first, then make sure the legs are pulled inward when you glue the plates to the formers. Otherwise, you may end up with gear that are spread wider than scale.

I'm sure there are other tips I'll think of later. That's all I can come up with off the top of my head.

Good luck with your jets. Feel free to call if you need help.
Old 06-05-2004, 03:19 AM
KFalcon

Shaun can you explain the art of building at 65 mph?
Old 06-05-2004, 10:19 AM
lov2flyrc

Hey Todd
Don't sugar-coat it like that. Tell him how you really feel.
[].... Perhaps I'm being as bit harsh on Steve in public but I have sugar coated things for him for too long. It's obvious he does not listen to the advice coming from people who have experience and success in this hobby. Many have tried to help Steve and offer advice but for some reason he just ignores them.
Too be honest I’m getting a bit sick of the BS that Steve throws out in this forum. Trust me, 99% of what Steve says is pure bull****e! His “Amazing†chameleon paint job he did on his bobcat is KRYLON. He can’t plumb a fuel tank or even tune a glow engine. He can fly I guess but never seen him actually “land†an airplane. He has owned more turbine aircraft than me yet not one has ever flown…… I could continue here but, I think I’ve made my point……
I am not usually one to “call someone out†but I can’t let him continue to BS everyone in this forum. I like Steve, I consider him a friend!! but….. It’s time everyone knew who Steve really is. Steve…..People will like you for who you really are, get real my friend.

Todd
Old 06-05-2004, 10:45 AM
Shaun Evans

Todd,

I can understand the frustration of having people who don't want to listen to good advice--especially when they've asked for it. After a while, it starts to seem like they're disrespecting your time. I helped a guy build his CBM F-16 once. He seemed like a nice guy, but he was getting pushy and was not being to busy saying things like, "Thanks for the help". I did what I thought was a pretty good 3-tone TAC gray scheme on his Falcon. It was better than the one I did on my own. I go back to his place to finish it, and I see that he has spray-painted some big racing stripes down the horizontal stabs and across the fin. When I screamed upon seeing it, he looked at me and shrugged his shoulders and said, "Ahh, it just looked a little too gray to me.." After that, it bugged me to see him around the hobby shop hitting peolple up for help and such.

HOWEVER.........

Is there really a RIGHT WAY and a WRONG WAY to do things in this hobby? How exactly is 'success in this hobby' measured? How does one get elected to the Board of Regents of RC? I'm not saying you are one of these; but there are so many maxive egoists in jets that it makes me laugh--and these people are usually the ones who get mad when you don't do things exactly as they say you should. It's Steve's money, right? Let him spend it (or waste it according to you) however he wants to. Perhaps he measures his success in the hobby differently than you do--who knows. If it's a source of frustration for you, just don't 'help' him anymore?

By the way, so far I've only flown jets in primer or in some kind of military scheme, but every jet I've ever painted (including the F-16 on my web page that was in RCM and MAN and won People's Choice at San Jose) was painted in....................KRYLON.[8D][8D][8D]

A guy doesn't have to plunk down a bunch of money on automotive paints to have a nice paintjob.
Old 06-05-2004, 12:57 PM
lov2flyrc

Shaun,
Agreed...... But my issue with steve is not the fact that he wont listen or that he is throwing his money away, one aircraft after another. Nor do I care how he paints his jets or with what. My issue is with the lies that he spreads on these forums making himself out to be something he is not and giving advice which he is far from qualified to give []. My point about the Bobcat was not WHAT he painted it with but that he boasted he did this amazing paint job with these chameleon paints yet the plane has a krylon finish. He raves about how good his model mechanics gear are that he got for his kangaroo yet the plane never flew and the gear were never operated, anyone who has actual experience with the MM gear will tell you there experience was quite different. Both the pane and gear were sold before they ever saw completion like most of Steve's acquisitions. He talks up a storm about this incredable A6 he had before it was even in his possession, waisting peoples time asking about how to convert it to turbine then sold it 2 weeks later. I could give you an endless list of BS this guy spews to make everyone see him on RCU as something he is not. I am far from a maxive egoists and anyone who knows me will confirm I am completely the opposite. I realize this is probably not the place or the way to discuss this but private conversations with Steve have proven fruitless and i am concerned that someone might actually sign him off for a waiver before he is truly ready, putting us all at risk.
Trust me..... Anyone who knows Steve will understand where this is coming from.
Todd
Old 06-05-2004, 05:49 PM
Shaun Evans

Todd,

10-4.
Old 06-05-2004, 07:46 PM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Message to Steve: give me your F-18 and I'll sign your waiver

Message to Todd: LOL

Message to Shaun and Steve: YA F-15's are bad *****, check out mine at www.my87.com

Message to self: Don't pi$$ in Todd's Cherios
Old 06-05-2004, 08:42 PM
KFalcon

Man Sean that thing looks beautiful! Glad to hear everything went well with the maiden.
Old 06-05-2004, 09:18 PM
SoppyJoe
My Feedback: (59)

Message to self: Don't pi$$ in Todd's Cherios
[/quote]

You said it....can somebody pass the peanuts!

Joey.