Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

want to try jets

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

want to try jets

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 01:32 AM
allen9511

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default want to try jets

I HAVE BEEN DEALING WITH CARS FOR MANY YEARS NOW, BUT I WANT TO GIVE JETS A TRY NOW AND I AM ASKING YOU GUYS FOR ADVICE ON WHAT I NEED TO DO TO GET STARTED.
Old 06-07-2004, 01:43 AM
MHall
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: want to try jets

How much time do you have flying aircraft?
Old 06-07-2004, 01:46 AM
C_Watkins
My Feedback: (10)

Sometimes, if they're not hitting the broken-backs, I'll switch to a nice topwater buzzbait.
Old 06-07-2004, 09:31 AM
allen9511

not a whole lot of flying experience
Old 06-07-2004, 09:38 AM
Miguel Santana
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go for a Viper ( www.tamjets.com).-
Old 06-07-2004, 10:00 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

ORIGINAL: allen9511

not a whole lot of flying experience

Then what you really need to do is sit down, and talk with an experienced pilot about your flying skills. A jet is an investment, not something you want to just jump into. You really need to start properly, buy a trainer and really learn to fly. Then move to a faster more aerobatic low wing airplane. If you really have the desire and drive to do this properly, you can probably take the needed steps up to a jet within a year. Starting with a jet, while I suppose it is possible, is not something I would recommend. The potential for loss of aircraft, as well as property in inexperienced hands is fairly high. These are true fire breathing turbine engines. While the reliability and ease of operation with turbines has become incredibly simple there is still much room for operator error, particularily in the flying aspect.
If you were to start with a jet (again, I don't recommend this) Then something like an AV8R or a Facet would be the way to do it. These aircraft fly nearly like a trainer. However, takeoff and landing speeds are higher and potential flight speeds are higher.

The best thing you can do IMO is to start off properly, if you want to get into turbines, you're going to spend at least $4000 to get a jet in the air right from scratch, for myself, I would want to have confidence in my abilities with that investment and know that I could fly well first.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-07-2004, 10:57 AM
allen9511

thanks guys for all the info i guess you need to crawl before you can walk
Old 06-07-2004, 11:11 AM
Gazzer

Don't be put off by some hard work in the meantime learning flying skills!! You already know about orientation with the cars and buggies, that is a start, although in 3 dimensions it is a bit different.

I agree with what has been said here, don't go and buy a turbine jet, it will hurt your confidence and wallett. Get along to a few jet meets, make some friends and see what the guys do and get an idea of their experiences. If your still enthused (and you will be, these meets are brilliant), plan your budget and start learning to fly. In the background you can be working on your jet project if the budget permits so that by the time your ready to go, your ship is ready to give you back the pleasure and reward.

I am about to go jet flying and that is roughly what I have done, by the time I am really ready, so will the model (s)!!

Keep in there!

Gazzer
Old 06-07-2004, 01:00 PM
avicom
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with most of you guys. That's what I did. I start with cars and then go to planes. First plane was a perfect crash. After that I went to a flying field and get orientation. Filled out the ama papers and join the club. They teach me how to build, balance, trim, taxi,and finally fly. Guess what? To much confidence and another crash!!! Then start doing manuvers one at a time. Changing planes once in a while for more challenging flying. Now I have a Roo half way complete waiting for me and engine. I say waiting for me because I am overseas right now. The engine will be in home soon, and with it another jet. By the time I finish and get some flying time with the roo, the second one will be ready and I will gain some experience flying jets. All my jet flyers friends told me to enter the forums of RCU. This is another school for most modellers I guess. Here everybody have different ideas in how-to, where new comers can learn a lot of things goods and bads. So if you can fallow the steps and get the budget why not join the jet world!!!

Regards:
Alejandro