Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Mini Halon Fire extinguisher

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Mini Halon Fire extinguisher

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2004, 06:16 PM
sportflyer-RCU
My Feedback: (35)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mini Halon Fire extinguisher

Guys, where can I buy mini Halon fire extinguishers ? I have one that I bought a year ago but I lost the link. Tks
Old 06-08-2004, 07:20 PM
MOK-

Default RE: Mini Halon Fire extinguisher

I get mine from Chief Aircraft.

[link]http://www.chiefaircraft.com[/link]

They offer different sizes.
Old 06-08-2004, 08:36 PM
arw9fmw
My Feedback: (4)

Go to http://www.h3r.com/ They have a good assortment of Halon extinguishers.

If they don't have what you want go to google and search "halon fire extinguishers".
Old 06-09-2004, 10:25 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Guys,

Aren't those liquid Halon extinguishers? Are those OK for turbines? I considered one, but I was worried about the liquid shock cooling the turbine. I know with the CO2, you can put the fire out and immediately go for a restart...

Bob
Old 06-09-2004, 11:46 AM
arw9fmw

Halon extinguishers are VAPOR or GASEOUS - no liquid. They are extremely effective on B and C type fires. Absolutley no mess with Halon.

If you are concerned with thermal shock on the turbine then Halon has no thermal shock. Thermal shock is far more likely with CO2. Pull the trigger on a CO2 extinguisher while pointed at your hand and it will be COLD. Not so with Halon.
Old 06-09-2004, 03:32 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: arw9fmw

Halon extinguishers are VAPOR or GASEOUS - no liquid. They are extremely effective on B and C type fires. Absolutley no mess with Halon.

If you are concerned with thermal shock on the turbine then Halon has no thermal shock. Thermal shock is far more likely with CO2. Pull the trigger on a CO2 extinguisher while pointed at your hand and it will be COLD. Not so with Halon.

Actually, I believe your first statement is incorrect for the type of Halon extinguishers we're talking about. Halon 1211 is listed as a "liquid streaming" agent on most of the websites that talk about Halon fire extinguishers, including the Chief Aircraft site:

# Clean Agent Extinguisher" – Evaporates on contact, leaving no damaging powdery residue
# Heat-seeking capability
# Does not lose pressure - No nitrogen propellant
# Proprietary Blend of the "liquid streaming" agent Halon 1211 and the gaseous "flooding agent Halon 1301.

Note that it says that it says "evaporates on contact" which seems to tell me that you are shooting a stream of liquid at your running turbine...

In the "blend" extinguishers, the 1211 is the major component, the 1301 is just the propellent. That's one of the reasons for the Halon unit's small size. In computer room type systems, 1301by itself is(was) used to keep from damaging the equipment.

Anyone actually shot Halon 1211 on their turbine and had it remain undamaged (as I have seen done with CO2 many times)? Untill I have a reliable source tell me Halon 1211 is OK to use on a turbine, I'll stick with the bulky CO2...

Bob
Old 06-09-2004, 04:44 PM
UK Flier

Not aimed at anyone in particular but find it strange that you are still promoting the use of Halon while in most other civilised countries its use is now illegal from the end of 2003. I know we should avoid politics on this forum but perhaps the USA should be considering alternatives.

We do all live on the same planet after all.

Anyone want to read the europrean legislation here is the link

http://www.dti.gov.uk/access/regulation2037.pdf

those that don't the bottom line is "ozone depleting substances are killing the planet !!!" So do you bit to take care of what we have.

John
Old 06-09-2004, 05:35 PM
arw9fmw

Bob,

Thanks for your input on the use of Halon extinguishers. It is obvious you are extremly knowledgeable on the subject. I guess I am just going from past experience using Halon. It is unfortunate that the EPA (or whoever) took it off the market because of fear of damage to the ozone layer. I certainly am learning from you. Thanks.

You are probably right (and I am wrong) in that Halon exits the extinguisher as a liquid stream. It must vaporize very quickly as I have never noticed any stream during use. But as you said it makes good sense that it is a strem first turning to gas.

I flew my Cessna 210 Centurion for over 2000 hours. We always carried and used Halon both inside the cabin and outside. It always did the job intended - put out the fire without any mess. The real problem using it in close quarters (like an airplane cabin) is that it robs the air of oxygen so you must get fresh air very quickly after using it.

We use Halon in our home and factory for type B and C fires supplemented by water extinguishers for Type A fires. I have used Halon on our minature turbines several times and there was no apparent damage to the engine and no mess to clean up. Just spin it up and start it. You mentioned computers - I have used Halon on them also with good results. I understand they have brought a substitute gas on the market similar to Halon but it is very expensive.

I originally purchased a CO2 extinguisher before I decided on Halon. The weight and bulk of the CO2 unit is in itself is a disadvantage for me. Takes up lots of space when traveling. It is for sale at half the market price plus UPS charges if anyone is interested. The unit is a 5 pound Ansul Sentry. It is still in the factory sealed carton. I just don't feel the need for it any place. Do not misunderstand me - CO2 extingushers have been the main stay for electrical and flammable fires long before Halon came on the scene. I am sure it does a fine job on the turbines and whereever it is used on Type B & C fires.

I certainly appreciate your correction on my statement and the additional information provided on Halon and its use. I am sure anyone else reading this thread will also appreciate your knowledgeable input.

Respectfully

Jack Mathias AMA 7654
Old 06-09-2004, 06:22 PM
Countryboy
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.amerex-fire.com/main.asp

Dependable Steel Cylinders

All Metal Valve Construction

Uses all recycled gas in accordance with the
Montreal Protocol
No thermal or static shock
Good visibility during discharge

HALON 1211 is a liquified gas, pressurized with nitrogen, which discharges as a vapor causing no cold or static shock and no impairment of the operator's vision. This "CLEAN" agent quickly penetrates difficult to see and hard to reach areas and leaves no residue. It is recommended for protection of delicate, sensitive and expensive computers, electrical equipment, tapes and film, automotive and aircraft engines, laboratory chemicals and equipment. Quality industrial grade hardware, "CLEAN" agent, light weight, good discharge range and excellent fire extinguishing ability make these the preferred extinguishers for the computer, electronic, telephone, banking and aircraft industries

I just checked into this last week. I went with the 5lb. CO2 just because of the cost of the Halon 1211... $250.00 for a ten pounder.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58386.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	141489  
Old 06-09-2004, 07:18 PM
MOK-

We use the A1600 Halon fire extinguishers which is only Halon 1211 with a Nitrogen propellant. No flooding agent. The discharge is completely gaseous with no liquid or shock cooling properties. We train with them yearly and I have been shot with it even though I wasn't on fire! [X(] They don't have the cold discharge that CO2 has. Now, the 1211/1301 blend would be your "liquefied stream" type of discharge. The 1301 is the flooding agent. Of course Halon fire extinguishers are only legal for aviation use, but, model aviation is still aviation, right?
Old 06-10-2004, 12:19 PM
RCpropo
My Feedback: (1)

Guys,

Halon will replaced by Halotron very soon. Price is almost the same.

Regards,
Ricardo.
Old 06-10-2004, 12:22 PM
RCpropo
My Feedback: (1)

Guys,

Halotron extinguisher can be obtained at sportys.com. Halotron does not affect the ozone.