Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Kingcat Crow questions

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Kingcat Crow questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 04:46 PM
Gary Jefferson
My Feedback: (167)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Kingcat Crow questions

I have my Kingcat setup as per the manual for the flaps and then also mixed the "UP" elevator as described. I am now in the process of setting up the crow settings and need to know the following;

1 - Is crow only used with full flaps?

2 - How much aileron "UP" travel is required for the crow settings? It looks like the BVM site says 3/4" but I am not sure?

3 - Should I leave the elevator mixing used previously with the flaps before I setup crow?

Thanks in advance for any help, Gary
Old 06-09-2004, 05:02 PM
DavidR
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Kingcat Crow questions

Gary,

When you set up the crow mixing you will only use it in the full flaps mode. The way Mine is set up I don't even have "take off" flaps any more. You don't need them. In the take off flaps position (switch) I have full flaps, and at full flaps position I add the crow. The elevaotr mixing stays the same. I set up the ailerons at about 3/4" actually it is more like all the up I could get where the aileron servos do not bind at full deflection with the crow "on".
Old 06-09-2004, 07:58 PM
Gary Jefferson

David, when you are flying on windy days what do you do for flaps? I think David Schulman told me today to not use full flaps on windy days, I guess it will get too slow or something. How do you handle this? Thanks, Gary
Old 06-09-2004, 08:08 PM
DavidR

Full flaps and full crow! The airplane is rock solid even in the most windy conditions. You just need to keep the power on all the way to touch down. I have a lot of fun with it in the wind. Back in April we were flying down in Texas in some strong wind, the Bobcats woudl wobble their wings and the Kingcats would come in like they were on rails. The Crow really helped this.
Old 06-09-2004, 08:40 PM
Gary Jefferson

Great, thanks David. I only have two flights on mine so far but the first flight was in a 20 mph head wind and the Kingcat was very solid even w/o the crow setup. I guess it should be even better now. The second flight was with a "0" wind condition and I had a hard time slowing it down for landing.

I am moving the C.G. rearward and adding the crow to help with slow flight and landings. Getting some more flights will likely help also!! I will do that at Tennessee Jets this weekend hopefully. I'm sure you will be there so I will see you there. Again, I appreciate your help and rapid response, Gary
Old 06-09-2004, 09:34 PM
DavidR

Gary,

I should get to TN Jets around 10 tomorrow morning. I will be glad to help you with any set up issues anytime this weekend. My CG is set up just slightly forwrd of the position BV recommends and I can pull as hard as I want on the elevator and it won't snap out. I have tried it as far as 1/2" beind the CG position and settled on just forward for my flying style. The crow really helps slow the plane down in the landing pattern. FWIW I put about 100 flights on my KC before I added the crow and within the first 30 flights was landing it on the first half of a 250' runway. It will slow down you just have to have the confidence in the slow flight abilities of the plane.
Old 06-10-2004, 07:14 AM
Gary Jefferson

David, I think I will look you up and have you check my settings on the Kingcat when I get there. I set it up just like you said and it looks ok but I would feel better if you looked at it first. I don't need any surprises!!

I think you are absolutely correct about getting comfortable with the flight characteristics. I know it will slow down very slow because I have watched Bob fly his really slow at events. I just need to get comfortable with the plane. Maybe you can spot with me for a flight and talk me through a slow speed landing.

I bought the Kingcat so that I can fly at my local field which is a 600' paved runway but I have not even tried that yet because I am still not comfortable with the landings although I know it will do it without any problem. See you in Tennessee, Gary