Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

JMP T-33 Questions

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

JMP T-33 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2002, 08:16 PM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default JMP T-33 Questions

I have one of these jets that I bought partially built. It came set up with BVM T-33 turbine intakes grafted on to the JMP intake openings (surprisingly good fit) so that the previous owner could use a BVM Bypass shroud for a RAM750. I have installed a Ram1000 in the same bypass and it seems a little tight for airflow over the outside of the turbine. I am also using a Tam pipe which slips over the rear of the BVM bypass.

I am experiencing what I would consider an excessive amount of heat on the surface of the tail of the plane. I would describe it as like touching the hood of a black car that has sat in the summer sun all day (very hot). So far there is no visible damage to the fiberglass. It does not seem to have been hot enough to soften up the fiberglass.

What are you other owners of this plane doing to minimize the heat transferred from the pipe to the upper fuselage?

What pipes and bypasses are you using? Especially with a RAM1000 setup?
Old 07-09-2002, 11:03 PM
WhoDaMan
My Feedback: (164)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-33

Please call Tom Cook. He will be happy to set this up for you. Mine came with everything I needed and I am running a P-120
His number is 816-331-0356

Dave R
Old 07-10-2002, 12:17 AM
patf
My Feedback: (4)

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

the 750 and the 1000 are in the same size case, so the ducting should be OK. check with Tom at JMP.
Old 07-10-2002, 01:43 AM
Roger_Martin

Default JMP T-33

The by-pass for my JMP T-33 has a diameter of 5.75 inches. I have seen two of these aircraft powered by the AMT Pegasus, which I believe is larger than the KJ-66 derived engines, so any suitable engine should fit. Also, they did not have a problem with heat in the upper fuselage or tail. The JMP by-pass and stainless steel pipe cooled very well.
Roger
Old 07-10-2002, 06:51 PM
Burt-RCU
My Feedback: (23)

I have flown mine with the RAM and the ram pipe with an open system with no problems. You may not be getting enough air around the outside pipe. You may need a small inlet along the bottom to let air in if the plane is sealed tight. The new one I have, I cut out the slats on the side and bottom for air with the closed system.
If it still stays warm, paint it with BVM heat retardant
Any chance of bringing it to Michigan Jets so I can see how you finished it.
Burt
Old 07-10-2002, 08:33 PM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Burt,

This is the plane I bought from you at Toledo in 2001. The engine is out of the plane and may have to be sent back to RAM. I have been having a lot of trouble with wet starts. So much so that it has ruined the Tam pipe I had in it and burned the resin out of the aft 1/2 inch of the BVM shroud. Further tests on the test bench have not been entirely satisfactory. I doubt the plane will be flying by the time of Michigan jets. It is still in primer. I have the ProMark graphics package for the color scheme like the one that won Top Gun this year.