Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

panther color schemes

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

panther color schemes

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2002, 09:47 PM
HORNET1788

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default panther color schemes

i ws wondering if anyone knows were i can get some panther (f-9f) color schemes. also, is the panther an ex-blue angel, if so i would like to know were to get this color scheme. thanks in advance
Old 07-10-2002, 01:02 AM
Bobman
My Feedback: (5)

Default Blue!

Good luck! I did some searching a while back for mine & I found blue ones, more blue ones, and.... you guessed it.... MORE blue ones! Looks like the majority were either blue or silver (aluminum). Squadron Signal book is pretty good, also keep an eye on Discovery Wings channel as they just ran "Sea Wings" on the Panther Sunday night. They usually repeat pretty often.

Shame that there wasn't more "liberties" taken with paint jobs on that bird, it sure is pretty!

Bob
Old 07-10-2002, 11:52 AM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a book which shows a light gray scheme with red stripes on the wing, fuselage, and tip tanks. If you are interested in this scheme, send me your email address and I will scan the pictures and send them to you. I have a Cato Horten Panther which I am considering using this scheme on. Cato's personal Panther was done up in these colors and looks pretty good.
Old 07-10-2002, 04:25 PM
HORNET1788

Default scheme

hey thanks and i would appreciate the pix. this is one scheme i wouldnt mind doing. also, is there any schemes that would be FLITE-METALABLE? mainly aluminum schemes. But anyways aptar, please send the pix to [email protected]. thanks
Old 07-10-2002, 05:58 PM
allr
My Feedback: (49)

Default Blue Angels Panthers

Yes, the Blue angles used the panthers for a short period of time. Check their web site www.navy.com/blueangels/
Old 07-10-2002, 10:54 PM
Terry Holston
My Feedback: (1)

I couldn'd find any thing but Hornets & Transports on the Blue Angels site,
Old 07-11-2002, 01:01 AM
Bruce L Prater

The Blue Angels flew both panthers and cougars. The gray with red stripes is from, ATU-206, based out of Sherman Field, NAS Pensacola, FL. There are also some dark gray/yellow combinations, but most panthers were BLUE. Most all Navy planes were painted. There is one in the Ssuadren publication, called "Blue Tail Fly" , that appears to be 2/3 aluminum with a blue tail. There are some red ones too.
Old 07-11-2002, 12:20 PM
allr
My Feedback: (49)

Default Blue Angels Panther

Terry Holston,

Check out the following site: Http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/...els/blues.html

I am not sure if there are any pictures there, but in about the 2nd paragraph it tells about the Panthers. Also, there is a TA-F9 in Blue Angels(trainer verison of the F9f-cougar) on the carrier musuem Lexington at Corpus Chrisiti, Texas.
Old 07-11-2002, 01:10 PM
F9F Texan

allr,
If you're working on a Panther, the (reportedly) last flyable Panther is located at the Cavanaugh Flight museum in Addison,Tx
(http://www.cavanaughflightmuseum.com...her/Page1.html)on the north side of Dallas. It might be worth a trip if you need to check scale details. This is a good example of an F9F-2. It's the standard all insignia blue paint scheme, though.

In addition to the Blue Tail Fly, (an all silver F9F-5 with the tail section from an all blue one), there was also one known as "Vice-Versa" which was, of course, an all blue F9F-5 with the tail section from a silver one. If I remember correctly, they were both from the same aircraft carrier, but may not have both been around at the same time.

Johnny Adkins
Old 07-18-2002, 04:20 PM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I found a good photo of a Ziroli Panther in the overall gray scheme with the red stripes I mentioned in an earlier post. Check it out:

http://www.ziroliplans.com/events_pix/f9ftl-lg.jpg
Old 07-18-2002, 07:51 PM
Jetwrench

Try www.superscale.com They have 1/48 scale decals for 3 different Panthers, 1 gray, 1 blue and 1 natural aluminum. You can send these decal sheets to ProMark and they can duplicate them in the correct scale for a phenominal fee.
Old 07-19-2002, 12:32 PM
Bobman
My Feedback: (5)

Aptar,

Any chance you have more pics of that bird somewhere? I'm REAL tempted to paint the HOUSE blue now instead of my Panther!

Thanks
Bob
Old 07-19-2002, 01:21 PM
Jetwrench

I have a Scale Modellers International magazine with several Panther paint schemes, including the blue and green one. I will take a picture and post it. Also try www.kitparade.com and go to the gallery and features section. The Blue Tail Fly is in Gallery and Brubaker's Panther from Bridges at Toko Ri is in the features section. They are 1/48 scale models but are beautifully and probably very correctly done. Mike