Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

What is acceptable play in Elevator?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

What is acceptable play in Elevator?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 08:33 PM
tcblr
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is acceptable play in Elevator?

I'm new to jets and I'm building a Y/A F-18 Single with turbine. My question is after I installed the elevator push rods I noticed the elevators have about 1/8 of an inch play when at neutral. I'm building this plane by the instructions which are designed around ducted fan installation. When I noticed the play in the elevators it's got me concerned. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 06-16-2004, 10:16 PM
Ehab
My Feedback: (44)

Default RE: What is acceptable play in Elevator?

You should try and find out where the play is coming from. Ideally, there should be no play or the least amount. Make sure your linkages are solid and stiff. Also, use metal gears servo in this F18.
Old 06-17-2004, 02:29 AM
MHall
My Feedback: (7)

If I have ANY slop in my control surfaces, I find out why and fix it. At the speeds we can reach even the slightest amount of slop can cause flutter and rip a surface right off, costing you an aircraft. Rock solid or stay on the ground for me!! Better safe than sorry[8D]
Old 06-17-2004, 03:53 AM
mick15

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi my opinion differs slightly from the above in that with a large model like the F18 the elevon is such a large surface even the smallest play from a quality servo like a JR 8411 will result in a fair bit at the tip of the elevon. (assuming this play IS from the servo). Providing the holding power of the servo is sufficient the likelihood of flutter is minimal.
I believe the best servo for this control currently is the JR 8611.

Hope this helps M
Old 06-17-2004, 04:05 AM
KFalcon
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: tcblr

I'm building a Y/A F-18 Single with turbine. .

I have had a couple of Yellow single F-18s. I had slop in one of the rear stabs and I finally tracked it down. The problem was the set screw on the control arm that bites down on the stabs shaft was worn causing it to not have the bite it should. If the model is new make sure you are on the flat spot on the shaft, it's easy to miss sometimes.
Old 06-17-2004, 07:50 AM
tcblr
My Feedback: (3)

Thanks for the help... this is the information I thought I would receive but I wanted to make sure. I think that I have tracked it down to the clevis I'm trying to use on the control horn end.