Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Byron F-16 with elevons only? Nobody has done this?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Byron F-16 with elevons only? Nobody has done this?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2002, 04:15 PM
NateZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Byron F-16 with elevons only? Nobody has done this?

Hi all,
I'm finishing off a set of wings for a Byron F-16 and was wondering if the airplane flys ok with elevons only instead of elevators and alierons? Has anybody ever tried it? It would save me some work (cutting, hinging ect) which i really don't want to do.

Thanks,
NateZ
Old 07-14-2002, 06:18 PM
NateZ

Guess i will have to just do the work!

Nate
Old 07-14-2002, 06:55 PM
Macgyver

Default Elevons-only

Hi Nate,I'm doing the same thing but i'm not finished yet.I am just makeing them A little longer by adding a inch or two at the back.If you look at other F-16 kits made to fly with elevons only they are A bit larger.I'm also beefing up the stab rod with another brass rod (tube) on the inside to keep it from flexing.Right now i'm trying to finish A Skyray witch is 70% completed.I can get the Skyray in the air faster.Flaps and elevons I say.Take care-Wilburn
Old 07-14-2002, 07:16 PM
Terry Holston
My Feedback: (1)

Default Re: Elevons-only

Originally posted by Macgyver
Hi Nate,I'm doing the same thing but i'm not finished yet.I am just makeing them A little longer by adding a inch or two at the back.If you look at other F-16 kits made to fly with elevons only they are A bit larger.I'm also beefing up the stab rod with another brass rod on the inside to keep it from flexing.Right now i'm trying to finish A Skyray witch is 70% completed.I can get the Skyray in the air faster.Flaps and elevons I say.Take care-Wilburn
I used a music wire "rod" epoxied inside the aluminium tube on the Byron F-16 Stabs. worked for me.

I feel brass is too heavy and will bend easier.
Old 07-14-2002, 10:21 PM
NateZ

Wilburn,

What did you use to extend the elevons? balsa? and is it totally necessary, because my elevators are already finished and primed.
Thanks.
Nate
Old 07-15-2002, 01:02 AM
Terry Holston
My Feedback: (1)

I don't think you'd need to increase the size of the stabs. Those are pretty big "Pie" plates back there already!

Just increase the throw, and be sure to use about 30 % expo on the transmiter.
Old 07-15-2002, 02:32 AM
Macgyver

Hi Nate,I used hard balsa but I could not find any info on what we are doing so I'm just doing what I that I should do.Terry has good info and if you cannot get the roll rate you want you can always go-back and add later.Now as to flaps the Byron F-16 can land real slow with-out flaps.It just depends on you.I seen a F-15 fly with just five servos with no rudder,flaps or airerons.Keep it lite and flew it with elevons only.Take care-Wilburn
Old 07-15-2002, 04:07 PM
pecojets

Default BYRON F-16 ELEVONS ANY?

A LOT OF PEOPLE ARE ASKING ABOUT THIS ISSUE.PUT ME IN THE LIST.I REALLY WANT TO KHOW IF SOMEBODY HAS FLEW THE BYRON F-16 WITH ELEVONS. THE ALEIRON SERVOS ARE VERY HARD TO REACH IN CASE THE REQUIRE SERVICE.ALSO THE WING WILL BE EASER TO FINISH IT

PECOJETS
Old 07-15-2002, 06:57 PM
JetflyerJ
Banned
My Feedback: (67)

Default Elevons

Guys do it with elevons without extending the stabs if you havent done it yet. The jet doesnt need ailerons at all as it flies very well.
I have an Aviation design with elevons and rudder and its great.

I did the first flight of a Byron with elevons only for a friend and it flew and still flies very well, you couldnt tell the difference.

Good Luck ..............Johnny Hernandez
Old 07-15-2002, 10:11 PM
Centralrchobbies
My Feedback: (7)

Never had a plane that needed elevons can anyone explain to me how this works? Are the servos Y to the elevator and aileron RX output? Thanks Rick
Old 07-15-2002, 11:31 PM
ghost_rider
My Feedback: (20)

Just plug one servo to elev. and the other one to Ail. It depends on your radio system. Some of them have elevon pre-programmed as a wing type selection. Just select elevon and you are ready to go. Of course you have to make sure your servos are moving the right directions.
Old 07-16-2002, 04:10 PM
bmustang
My Feedback: (4)

Rick, "elevons" means the same surfaces act as both ailerons and elevators. It requires a separate servo and a separate channel for each surface and a transmitter that is programmable for it. When you move the elevator stick both surfaces go up and down together. When you move the aileron stick one goes up and the other goes down. It's probably obvious now that you cannot do this with 2 servos on a "Y" connector plugged into the same channel.

Elevons are used on deltas like the F102 or F4D and they work well on jets like F15s and F16s that have short wingspans where they are often referred to as "tailerons". (But I would not recommend them on a WWII fighter, say, where the wing is so much longer than the stab!)

Tom