Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Roo Setup

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Roo Setup

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2002, 01:55 AM
TAILHOOK-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roo Setup

In the process of setting up a comp. roo. Do you need all the throw they say you do.
What are the throws you are flying with.
Low & high rates, also cg.

Thanks
Old 07-11-2002, 02:42 AM
Doug Arnold

Default Roo Setup

we set up our roo at first basically to specs. we quickly realized that we needed more elevator. with the cg at there specs it seams to have the hop-a-roo tendencies on landing if you are not careful. we now have the elevator at mechanical limits--past 45 degrees somewhere and the cg is 2 1/2 inches forward of original. I think Dennis Lott is flying his close to 4 inches forward of original.. we have put 13 flights on it two weeks ago and 10 flights on it last weekend. almost 10 gallons of gas. the new cg position is awesome, no hop-a-roo tendencies on landing any more and it seems to be a whole lot more stable in the air now. maybe Dennis Lott will chime in if he sees this. he seems to have broke the code on the roo's

Doug A
Austin Gang
Old 07-12-2002, 12:01 AM
XCaliber
My Feedback: (104)

Default Roo Setup

I just wanted to make sure I understand your C.G. location that you are flying the ROO.
The Manual stated 95mm (which is about 3 3/4") infront of the wing tube front edge.
Are you saying you are flying the ROO with the C.G at 6 1/4" infront of the wing tube front edge?
Thanks ,
MB
Old 07-12-2002, 02:44 AM
Doug Arnold

Default Roo Setup

it did not sound right to me at first but if you max out the elevator throw to be able to compensate for being nose heavy the airplane flew and landed a whole lot more stable. our original cg location was right infront of the main gear struts, basically between the bolts of the gear mounts and the strut. now it is 2 1/2 inches forward. it is like a whole new airplane. But dont take my word for it, ask Dennis Lott, he talked us into it and I am glad he did. It is a much more frendly airplane.

Doug A
Austin Gang
Old 07-12-2002, 10:33 AM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Roo Setup

Doug, but with the CG that far forward, don't you require excessive down elevator for inverted flight?
Old 07-12-2002, 08:05 PM
EddieWeeks

Default Roo Setup

Rocketboy.. Your Isobar takes off with 9 lbs of fuel
in the nose !!! Being nose heavy is not a problem if
you have enough elev.

Eddie Weeks
Old 07-12-2002, 08:11 PM
rcjetsaok
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ROO

MARK,

FLIES GREAT INVERTED.. NOT MUCH DOWN NEEDED. SLOW ROLLS ARE GREAT!!. WE ARE 2 1/2 INCHES FORWARD OF THE RECOMMENDED CG LOCATION.. AS DOUG SAID, IT GROOVES ALOT BETTER IN THE AIR, MORE STABLE, AND TOOK THE PITCH HUNT OUT..RUDDERS ARE TOE'ED OUT A LITTLE AS WELL.. VERY STABLE, NO HOP ON LANDING.. T/O ROLL IS A LITTLE LONGER... BEFORE THE CHANGE, WITH NO FUEL, YOU COULD TIP THE PLANE TO THE TAIL, AND IT WOULD NOT RETURN . IT WOULD STAY ON THE TAIL & MAIN WHEELS. NOW IT RETURNS THE NOSE WHEEL BACK TO THE GROUND.. THIS ROO IS THE BALSA WINGED KIT.. I'M NOT SURE IF THERE WERE ANY CHANGES IN THE COMPOSITE KIT LIKE MAIN GEAR LOCATION.. YOU MIGHT LOOK INTO THAT AS WELL.

REGARDS,

DAN M.

P.S. I WOULD HAVE NEVER MOVED G/G THAT FAR ON MY OWN.. THE ONLY REASON I DID IT IS CAUSE DENNIS SAID DO IT.. HE FIGURED IT OUT I GUESS TRYING TO GET HIS TO COME OUT OF THE CHICKEN FLOP!! I GUESS IT GOES TO SHOW THAT A RADICAL CHANGE LIKE THAT WORKS.. SOMEONE JUST HAS TO TRY IT!!
JUST MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ALOT OF UP ELEVATOR SET UP. TAKE IT UP HIGH AND DO SOME SLOW FLIGHT.. YOU WILL FIND IT VERY PREDICTIBLE...

DAN
Old 07-13-2002, 02:05 AM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Forward CG

Danno

How does the CG move, effect it slowing down for landing? Does it flare OK? My Roo is the same kit as yours and has quite a bit of weight it the rear of the fuse to get the CG where it's recommended in the instructions.
Old 07-13-2002, 02:07 PM
rcjetsaok

Default roo

GARY,

BELIEVE IT OR NOT IT SEEMS TO SLOW UP BETTER. WITH THE DIVE BRAKE DOWN IT DOESN'T WANT TO BALLOON LIKE BEFORE.THE DIVE BRAKE DIGS, I'M LANDING WITH SLIGHT POWER ON FINAL W/ A NOSE UP ATTITUDE.... SEEMS TO WORK FOR ME..
YOU MIIGHT WANT TO MOVE YOURS UP SAY 2 INCHES AND FLY.. REMEMBER TO HAVE LOTS OF ELEVATOR. I THINK YOU WILL LIKE IT.. WE FLEW 5 GALLONS AT A.R.C.A. LAST SUNDAY, I WAS CONCERNED CAUSE WE HAD ZERO WIND... WE WERE STOPPED & TURNED AROUND 2/3'S DOWN THE RUNWAY.. EVEN HAD A SLIGHT CROSS WIND AT TIMES. LET ME KNOW HOW IT GOES FOR YOU.. SEE YOU AT SOUTHWEST!!

DANNO
Old 07-13-2002, 10:16 PM
Doug Arnold

Default Roo Setup

WHO TAUGHT WHO HOW TO LAND THE ROO.
Old 07-13-2002, 10:19 PM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Roo Setup

Bob Price taught both o' you guys, RIGHT?
Old 07-15-2002, 04:57 PM
TAILHOOK-RCU

Default ROO SETUP

Flew the roo yesterday for the first time.
Put the CG just ahead of the mains. Flew great 1 click of left ail. no trim of elv. hands off.

Thanks for the trim info.
Old 07-16-2002, 02:16 PM
rcjetsaok

Default roo flight

CONGRATS ON THE FLIGHT!! HOW FAR FORWARD ARE YOU FROM RECOMMENDED C/G NOW??

DAN M.
Old 07-16-2002, 04:54 PM
TAILHOOK-RCU

Default ROO SETUP

Approx 2" in front of whats called for.