Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

RAM setup questions

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

RAM setup questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2002, 02:21 AM
paperairplanes
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RAM setup questions

Just getting everything together for my 750 air start. Has 0 time on it. First turbine for me.

1. For bench runs, can I just use one tank without a UAT? Maybe something like a soda bottle?

2. For the oil tank that the manual says to setup, do I need this if I am mixing oil with the fuel. If I dont need it, what do I do with the line going to the turbine?

3. Fuel... can I use JP8 without reprogramming the ECU?

4. Oil... can I use Mobil Jet 254? Its a turbine oil that we use on our helos.

5. Maybe I missed this one in the manul, but what type and size battery would you guys reccommend for the ECU?

Thanks for any help.... cant wait to wake up the neighbors!!!!!
Old 07-15-2002, 02:37 AM
kevinthoele
My Feedback: (1)

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Ram 750

You need to find out for sure if yours is one that is fitted for separate fuel and oil or designed for mixed fuel!

They are not interchangable. If it is separate then hook oil to oil tank and fuel to fuel tank. Be sure that you are filtering your fuel multiple times. On the mixed version you should tee the oil and fuel lines together behind the engine cover.

I have only run Jet-A. I have run both the separate system for fuel and oil and mixed, I actually preferred seperate one best.

One tank is fine for bench test.

As far as battery size 1400 is a good size. But if you need the weight for balance...Use larger capacity.
Old 07-15-2002, 02:44 AM
paperairplanes

How can I tell if the fuel and oil tank lines have to be seperate or can be mixed?
Old 07-15-2002, 02:50 AM
kevinthoele
My Feedback: (1)

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

Other then if the Turbine is an F model is all I remember as I am currently only flying AMT engines. I don't think by looking at the outside you can tell. You may have to send in to Ram to know for sure, as I believe it would have to viewed from the inside to tell.
Old 07-15-2002, 03:45 AM
paperairplanes

Default F model

It is the F model so I guess I have to use the oil tank
Old 07-15-2002, 03:49 AM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Paper, take off the spun aluminum cap on the front of the turbine. There should be three screws, 120 degrees aprt, holding it on. You will see where the air, propane, oil, & fuel lines enter the engine through Festo fittings. If there is only three lines entering (air, propane & fuel) then you have an "F" model and you need to mix 1 quart of turbine oil with 5 gallons of kero. You will see that the fuel line actually "tees off" with a Festo "tee" and goes into two separate Festo fittings. One is the path that fuel takes, and the other is lubrication to the bearings. If you have an older engine that requires separate oil, then there will be 4 lines running in. Hope this helps. Also try going to the turbine help forum. Albert from RAM is there, but I think he said that he will be travelling this week or something and may not be available for a while.

PS. use anything clean that kero will not dissolve for a test stand tank. I once had to use a mayonaise jar!!!
Old 07-15-2002, 03:53 AM
Woketman

No NO NO! If it is an "F" model (as in RAM 750F), the "F" means that it has the fuel mod meaning that you MUST mix 1 quart of turbine oil with 5 gallons of kerosene. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO USE THE SEPARATE OIL TANK!!!!! As for the oil you wanted to use, you need to ask Albert. Exxon 2380 is always good for most turbines.
Old 07-15-2002, 04:03 AM
paperairplanes

Did RAM forget to take this part out of their manual? As for the line going to the turbine, what do I do with it? How can I plug it off, or do I need to?
Old 07-15-2002, 04:07 AM
paperairplanes

Default 5?

woketman, didnt see your first post there, my version has 5 connections on the front...
Old 07-15-2002, 04:18 AM
Woketman

Oops, you are correct. I forgot about CP (compressor pressure), the feedback to the ECU. You should have five connections on the very front of the engine, under the cap, but only four lines going in (because the fule "Tees" off) on an "F" version. See if you have the "Tee". If so, its an "F" model and you absolutely MUST mix oil into the fuel.
Old 07-15-2002, 04:23 AM
rambat1

Hello Paperairplane; If you have a 750 with out the F then you need to run the separate oil tank. Look at the engine from the front with the plug at the 12 o'clock position. The fitting to the right of the plug is the fuel. The one to the left of the plug is the oil and should go to the oil tank. If the fuel and oil fittings are teed together then it is a 750F and the F would be engraved on the serial # under the front cover. The next line to the left of the oil is the compressor bleed air line. this line goes to the pressure fitting on the ECU and MUST BE TEED OFF TO THE OIL TANK. this is how you pump the oil into the bearings. If you don't pressurize the oil tank you will dis-troy the engine on the first run. The last two lines are the start air and propane. Good luck (Albert from RAM)