Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Turbine certification

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Turbine certification

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2002, 03:28 PM
Guardian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbine certification

What alll the hype of the turbine certification ? what are all the rules ? can you still purchase turbines with out a certificate/license ? I am working on an experimental plane that is going to be powered by 4 turbines ? Wil I have to get certified before I even fly it ?Do you have to be over 18 yrs old to get certified ?
Old 07-15-2002, 03:47 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Goto the AMA site and look up everything you need there.

Good luck
Old 07-15-2002, 04:09 PM
F9F Texan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turbine certification is only necessary if you intend to fly at an AMA field and expect to be covered by AMA's insurance in case of an accident.

There are other AMA regulations which might take you out of the realm of AMA's rules.

For example:
you mentioned a 4 engine aircraft. AMA has an absolute limit of 35 lb of thrust, regardless of the number of engines you have. Unless you're planning to use 4 of the so far unavailable 7 lb engines, you will be over the 35 lb limit. I guess you could turn some 12 lb engines down to 8.75 lb each. If you don't turn them down you wont be covered by their insurance, therefore, you don't have to be certified.

You don't have to be certified to purchase a turbine.

Basically, to get turbine certification you must demonstrate to a recognized turbine CD your ability to maintain and fly a high performance aircraft to his/her satisfaction. The recommended manouvers must be performed in his/her presence and you have to have had a ground school on your turbine.

I'm sure others will come in with things I've left out, but I thought I'd save you some of the brain numbing reading on the AMA website.

Johnny