Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

OS .91 Fuel

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

OS .91 Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2002, 09:21 PM
vfr_rider2000
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS .91 Fuel

OK I have read some of the old post on DF Fuel but I have about 3 cases of Powermaster 15% sitting in the boxes waiting to be used. Is this to much nitro, and do I need to add some oil to increase the oil content which is at 18% currently? If I do need to add some oil add what Kloz and how much?
Old 07-16-2002, 09:46 PM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default OS .91 Fuel

Do yourself a favor and use the Powermaster fuel in regular prop planes. I once thought all you had to do was add oil to bring the content up. A buddy of mine did this and almost instantly burned up a couple of O.S. .91s until someone advised us to never do this and to always use purpose made fan fuel. The fuel we always used was Cool Power 15% but trust me, adding oil did not work! Choose your favorite brand of fuel and get their fan fuel. The nitro percent isn't too much but I found the O.S. .91 to be quite happy on 5% fan fuel.
Old 07-16-2002, 09:56 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OS .91 Fuel

In my opinion, the nitro IS too much. 5% is right for the 91. I HAVE used regular powermaster, just added a few ounces of castor oil.
It won't do you any harm to buy proper DF fuel anyway, since you don't want to use what you have, might as well order just the right stuff.
Old 07-16-2002, 10:08 PM
Shaun Evans

Default OS .91 Fuel

Different folks recommend different stuff, but I guess it comes down to what works for you. I've heard some recommending PowerMaster 15% with turbine oil, but I think that nitro's WAY too high (plus, I think you can get much better fuel for the same money), and Tom Cook recommends 5% nitro. That's probably the best place to start. For my O.S. .91s, running in Dynamax fans, I use Performance Plus 10% Jet. I've tried lots of brands and lots of mixtures, but that's the one that runs the best for me. It runs cool and clean, no varnish or burning on my engine at all. Hope this helps!
Old 07-16-2002, 10:18 PM
XCaliber
My Feedback: (104)

Default OS .91 Fuel

5% WildCat Jet A 23% oil has worked the best for me!
Old 07-16-2002, 10:24 PM
jayman
My Feedback: (9)

Default OS .91 Fuel

I also use Performance Plus 10% jet fuel. The local hobby store carries it so it's easy to get. I was using 5% Wildcat for a while and it works good also but I had to deal with shipping cost. I would not use anything over 10% and have at least 22% oil. I have had three .91's for about five years and I just changed one set of bearings recently. Use what you feel comfortable with and don't have any lean runs and you should be fine.

Jay
Old 07-16-2002, 10:37 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Default OS .91 Fuel

I've tried fifteen percent on the 91. It makes little, if any, more power than the five percent, but it blows the plugs at an alarming rate. Hope you have some serious thermal activity at your field, as jets usually make lousy gliders.
You will get blown plugs once in a while ANYWAY, with fifteen percent you well get them on almost every flight.
Old 07-16-2002, 11:53 PM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default OS .91 Fuel

Perf. Plus 10% Jet. Tastes good too.
Old 07-17-2002, 01:00 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Default OS .91 Fuel

Eric Clutton's Olde English Diesel fuel is the best tasting model fuel there is. Except maybe Cox Thimble Drome Original Blend..."Power Packed For Hours Of Fun!"