Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Another PPG Omni question

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Another PPG Omni question

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2002, 04:13 AM
smaze17
My Feedback: (60)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another PPG Omni question

Hi guys. I've got another question regarding the PPG Omni line of paints. I will be using the Omni system. Instead of using the K-36 grey primer, does PPG manufacture a white primer? Since I will be applying yellow and red colors to my Bobcat, I'd love to be able to just apply a white primer then colors instead of a grey primer, white paint then colors. Thanks in advance!!

Spencer Maze
Old 07-18-2002, 04:25 AM
vfr_rider2000
My Feedback: (1)

Spence,

I used PPG Concept DCC it's a Acrylic Urethane on my Y/A Starfire. Didn't put a base coat of white down, just painted each color over the primer as needed and no need for a clear coat. The paint cover's really well and they use it on a Unlimited Hydroplane here in Seattle so it should be great for a plane.

If you do a search on Starfire you should find the message on 4July2002.
Old 07-18-2002, 10:40 AM
jglp3-delete

I don't know if they have a white primer, but I do know that K36 can be tinted with Concept base colors. I did this with my Bobcat, adding white paint to the primer. It wasn't true white after tinting, but it did lighten the gray up quite a bit.
Old 07-18-2002, 11:16 AM
DavidR

DP 48LF is a white sandless primer BUT you will want to spray it after or as your final coat of primer after you have got everything sanded to perfection. It is not a sandable primer like the K36 and it is a calatlysed primer as well, really tough stuff.

David Reid
Old 07-18-2002, 04:02 PM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default white primer

Went by the PPG dealer here is the result. PPG does not make a standard white primer.

Mix
16 oz of K-36 primer
8 oz of coloring agent-in this case white
4 oz reducer- DT870
8 oz K-201
This makes white primer

If you don't need this much, then everything can be cut in half again.
The dealer gave me the coloring agent and I had everything else.
Haven't tried it yet.
Old 07-18-2002, 04:25 PM
Kevin_W

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default DP-48LF

I use this stuff for molding fiberglass and it works great. The slow hardener gives a mixed shelf life of 72 hours, but it still cures in about hour after shooting it. It does say on the can that it is not sandable, but I have found that the black sands quite well anyway. It is not a primer surfacer so it does not fill defects very well, but it does sand much easier than paint and it covers and flows out very well. An added bonus is that since it is epoxy based the chemical resistance is outstanding.
Old 07-18-2002, 07:03 PM
Richard Buescher

Default Something new for you to try

Use this sealer instead of any primer! Why use a gray primer when your surface should be almost perfectly smooth anyways?? Primer is fine if you have serious scratches to fill. But these are model airplanes not real cars, we should try to keep weight to a minimum.
So here is the data:
The Sealer comes in 3 colors

NCS2003 = White
NCS2004 = Gray
NCS2005 = Black

It is a Deltron product that can be tinted with concept DMC mixing bases. I know it is intended for the final step but it has some good filling qualities to it as well. I use it instead of primer. It works for me. If I find defects in the sealer coat I sand the part with 600 grit paper. (I used only 1/4 of a sheet of sand paper to do a whole plane) The stuff sands easy with no loading of the paper. Then I give it another light coat and sand again. then paint.
This stuff is relatively new on the market, it just came out late last year I believe.

Hey Mr. Redman, this is the stuff I was telling you about when I was out there in the desert.

Try it I'm sure you will like it.
Dustin
Old 07-18-2002, 08:36 PM
smaze17
My Feedback: (60)

Default Thanks

Guys....thanks alot for the input!!! I think I'll just tint the K-36. Thanks again everyone!

Spence