Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

BIg Time Apologies

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

BIg Time Apologies

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2002, 11:09 AM
SANTONOMOS
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BIg Time Apologies

I want to take this moment to express deep apologies to Kevin and simjet. It seems with all that is going on with simjet I was very quick to lose my temper just a few days ago when I thought that I had incurred yet another problem with my Simjet. I E-mailed Kevin and expressed a lot of frustration. I thought that I may have had a bad rpm sensor again but after receiving a phone call from Kevin and carefully going over step by step he nailed it worn o-ring in starter motor. That and the fact that I never plugged the turbine into the ecu. I know I feel like a major ass. I think after speaking with Kevin before getting heated we should really take a momment to understand how the L.E.D explains whats wrong. I just read a revised version of the manual that Kevin re-edited and I find it very insightful.

anyway SORRY guys for my inappropriate comments
Old 07-18-2002, 01:57 PM
Gary Arthur
My Feedback: (29)

Default I agree

Hello Santonomos. Havn't talked to you for a while, I think since Florida Jets. I too have the revised version of the manual. Yes it is much better. I must give Kevin and Ed a lot of credit, they are working hard to make the simjet thing happen. I am lucky to live nearby and can just take a short trip over and see first hand what is going on.
Old 07-18-2002, 02:18 PM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

Moved from turbine clinic....
Old 07-18-2002, 02:39 PM
ghost_rider
My Feedback: (20)

SANTONOMOS

I applaud you for your honesty. It takes a real man to accept his mistake(s).
Old 07-18-2002, 02:48 PM
KevinM

Hi Santos,

Thanks for the kind words. With all the negative press right now, it's all too easy skip the basic troubleshooting and go straight to throwing up your arms in frustration. We hope that the added details and troubleshooting guide in the revised manual will help with this, and we should soon have it posted to both the SimJet and Great Northern Models websites for all to benefit from.

It's very important to remember that turbines are technically complex devices, and because of this certain things require regular checking and maintenance. The current crop of SimJet turbines are being shipped with a knurled starter nut; The O-ring grips the knurled nut much better than the smooth nut but it only lasts 15-20 starts after which it needs to be replaced.

Most misbehaving turbines give pretty bold hints about what's wrong with them if you pay careful attention. Keeping your cool when you run into a problem is the first step towards finding and fixing it.
Old 07-19-2002, 12:13 AM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

It's not just hype, these guys (Kevin and Ed) really are as helpful and earnest as people say. Though the kinks with Simjet right now are in now way their fault, they're the ones fixing them for Simjet customers, and are doing a very laudable job of it.
Old 07-20-2002, 02:19 AM
Burt-RCU
My Feedback: (23)

For those interested, Kevin and Ed will be doing a ground school at Michigan Jets, July 26-28, 2002.
Burt
Old 07-20-2002, 03:38 AM
Johnny Woods

Kevin,
Can you bring some O rings to Mich Jets. I need to buy
one or two.

Johnny Woods
Old 07-20-2002, 03:41 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Santos is a good guy, too. Group hug, okay?
Now, as for RAM...ah, never mind.
Old 07-22-2002, 11:57 AM
KevinM

Default O-rings

Hi Johnny

I'm clean out at the moment, but I'll try to scare up a bunch more for MJ. For anyone who has access, the size is 13mm OD x 2.5mm X-section.