Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

BVM F-16 - Jetcat P80 conversion goes on !

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

BVM F-16 - Jetcat P80 conversion goes on !

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2002, 01:23 AM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default BVM F-16 - Jetcat P80 conversion goes on !

Ok, I know i have posted questions on RCU about this before, but now I have progress made, and therefore more questions. I got the BVM Jetcat P80 bypas today, and it does fit nicely in the F-16 fuse ... A little tight , but it does fit. So, heres for my questions ..

- the Ram500 conversion kit uses a diferent intake, with a smaller area, Do I really need one of these with a P80 ? The only valid reason would be to prevent blow out of the engine from all the air, but what the real deal here ? would not the excess air just go around the turbine through the bypas ?

- The P80 mounts to the bypas with the mounts and straps, where do I mount the bypas to in the fuselage ? there are no mounts on the bypas to atatch it to the fuselage/formers

any input would be great !

thanx guys ..

Wojtek
Old 07-19-2002, 03:20 PM
Tim Redelman
My Feedback: (36)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe Tommy Woods had a setup like you describe and it blew the engine hatch in flight witch took out the stab, witch induced a CRASH! BVM designs these conversion kits very carefully so I would suggest saving your pennies a little longer and getting all the things that are necessary from BVM to have a successful conversion.
Old 07-19-2002, 03:55 PM
smaze17
My Feedback: (60)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake

Also, when you use the BV 500 conversion intake, there is alot more room above it for the fuel tanks. According to David Schulman, the larger bypass will work with the smaller, 500 size intake. You'll just need to get the appropriate pipe. Good luck.

Spencer Maze
Old 07-19-2002, 04:25 PM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Tim, money is not the issue, if it was I would not be sticking a P80 in there ... I just want to have a safe, and fully functional setup. I have all the BVM conversion parts except for the intake, which im debating weather or not to modify. As for the fuel tanks, my F-16 has custom made tanks that hold sufficient fuel ...

Determinig weather i do or do not need the smaller intake is my main issue right now ...

Wojtek
Old 07-22-2002, 02:16 AM
dribbe

I think this same thread went arround earlier....

You should realy try to contact Chris Huhn, or someone that is done it... with a P-80.

I am pretty sure you want the BVM F-16 turbine inlet that has the smaller aft size. It mates to the typical BVM bypasses (smaller), and allows for the Bigger BVM Kevlar F-16 fuel cells.

That inlet is working great in my Sophia J-850 turbine which is putting out a bit more thrust than a P-80.

You my get some Ideas from my Web Page....
Regards,
Dave

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/dribbe.../Dave_Home.htm

Dave Ribbe's Home
Old 07-22-2002, 11:50 AM
Gordon_Dickens
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Wojtek,

This sorta feels like deja vu all over again....

The BVM F-16 turbine conversion kit wasn’t available when I did my conversion which you can reference at:

http://www.gajets.net/Links/Tips_and...bvm_f-16n.html

I would highly recommend using the BVM conversion inlet since it accommodates the BVM fuel cells and plenty of fuel storage. I ended up cutting off the aft 6 inches of my inlet and installing an inlet reducer that fit my bypass. I then also had to use a centerline “wet” tank to augment my fuel storage. If you use the BVM conversion inlet you solve two problems. First, the aft flange of your inlet is then reduced to mate with the bypass. Second, you then have plenty of internal fuel storage.

As far as your other question is concerned; Once your inlet/bypass/tailpipe is properly installed you then have a fairly rigid structure front to back. You can then glue the bottom of the bypass to the fuse formers and everything should be fine.

Gordon
www.gajets.net