Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Flying Jets with a Futaba 9C

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Flying Jets with a Futaba 9C

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2002, 07:06 PM
DrV
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Flying Jets with a Futaba 9C

Does anyone fly jets with this radio?

Is the radio flexible enough to accommodate all the mixes?

Do you feel like you could have used a 10th channel?

What type of jets do you fly with the 9C?

The reason I'm asking all these questions because I just purchased a 9C and would like to get into jets soon. Do I need to buy a 9Z or a JR 10x when I finally move up or can I get by in the beginning?

Thank you
Old 07-20-2002, 07:11 PM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Depends on what ya wanna fly. You could easily fly a PCM models AV8R with a 4 channel Tower Hobbies radio. But I'd only trust a BVM F-100 to a 9Z, 10X, or better yet a 12 channel Multiplex Profi 4000 with the 12 channel IPD receiver. What do you want to fly?
Old 07-20-2002, 08:56 PM
Flying Cowboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started flying ducted fans with a Futaba 7UAPS and now I'm flying them with a 8UAP and a friend of mine is flying his turbine with a 8UAP so you should have no problem with your 9C.

You don't really need more but if you're on an unlimited budget, you would sure apreciate a 10X or Multiplex and in that case, you could make me a gift of your 9C.

Cost nothing to try.
Old 07-20-2002, 09:21 PM
Brian B
My Feedback: (5)

Default 9C

I fly all my jets on a Futaba 8U without any problems. Some guys think that just because your airplane has a real live turbine in it, or even a ducted fan, you need to spend over $1000 for a radio. Baloney. A 9C will be just fine for anything you want to fly.
Old 07-20-2002, 10:13 PM
Woketman

I disagree with Brian, only on number of channels. I agree that the quality of RF transmission and reception is probably adequate with any of the usual radios, but when you get into some real complex models, you are gonna quickly wish you had more channels than 7 or 8. Yeah, you can do a lot with 7 or 8, but it really makes set up a breeze with 12. No MatchBox needed. I can put both elevator, both aileron, both flap, and the rudder & nose gear servo all on different but equal channels and adjust all of the centers, limits, expos, etc. all from the transmitter with the mixing possibilities being just about endless. No, you don't need this, but it sure is nice. And the extreme range of the Multiplex Profi 4000 is a BIG added bonus as is the IPD receiver technology!
Old 07-20-2002, 11:16 PM
DavidR
My Feedback: (1)

Like Woketboy said it all depends on what you plan to fly now and in the future. If you are planning on a scale jet a 7 or 8 channel just won't cut it. On my Phantom I use all 10 channels and could use 2 more. The BVM F-100 uses all 10 as well. I personally feel the Futaba would be a disadvantage to me because of the total lack of one channel and only partial use of another as compared to a 10X. The Multiplex is a powerfull radio but in my opinon lacks the feel that I am familiar with. I just don't like the European tray style but that's just me.

David Reid
Old 07-20-2002, 11:44 PM
TonyF
My Feedback: (92)

DrV,

Don't let any of the sales pitches from reps confuse you, you absolutely can fly nearly any jet out there with your 9C. I am not familiar with it's features, but from what I hear it is more then capable. Just make sure that when you get ready to fly that you do a proper pre-flight checkout of the link, with thorough range checks. I'm sure it will work fine.

Glad to have you considering jets. If I can help at any time just ask. I really think you'll love it!
Old 07-20-2002, 11:54 PM
Flying Cowboy

can't believe how biased some people are because they're hooked on a particular manufacturer.
10 chanels or more are probably nice to have on some particular models but trying to make believe that you can't fly properly what you want with 9 chanels is out of reality.
Old 07-21-2002, 12:51 AM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

DrV

Currently flying many planes on the 9C including a turbine powered Kangaroo....Fantastic radio for the price and it is more than sufficient for jets. You will enjoy the radio, and the world of rc jets for that matter....
Best of luck ....
Todd
Old 07-21-2002, 12:56 AM
DavidR
My Feedback: (1)

It's funny how some people take the typed comments out of context as well. The only comments I made were fmy opinions based upon the type of models I like to fly. For a DF sport jet a 7 channel radio is fine. For a complex scale jet with multiple mechanical options a 7 channel is just not enough radio. The only bias I have is the type of airplanes that I like to fly.

DrV,

Your 9C will fly most any jet you decide to tackle. I am not familiar with the programming but it I am sure is a very capable radio. If you plan to fly a complex scale model with speed brakes, drogue chute, air actuated nose strut, drop tanks, etc... etc... then you will want every channel you can get your hands on. If all you plan to fly is a DF sport jet a 7 channel will do. You will find as you move into the turbines that such features as programmable throttle curves, servo slow, multiple mixes, and multi point mixes are very handy. And welcome to the world of jets!

David Reid
Biased MF
Old 07-21-2002, 01:45 AM
shanksow

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 9C

I too have a Futuba 9C and I'm glad to know that it will handle all of my needs for the time being.
Old 07-21-2002, 03:32 AM
Woketman

If you guys will note, I said "No, you don't need this, but it sure is nice. And the extreme range of the Multiplex Profi 4000 is a BIG added bonus as is the IPD receiver technology!" As I said, I am sure that a 7 or 8 channel rig will work just fine, BUT the higher zoot radios will make all of the difference in the world as far as convenience is concerned. The 9c is fine. Just be sure to have it checked up at regular intervals (from a fotmer Futaba user).

A MPX rep!
Old 07-21-2002, 06:50 AM
DrV

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you guys for the input.

There are at least 2 guys at my field who fly their turbines on a 8103. A 9C is just as capable if not more flexible as far as features and mixes are concerned. The only reason I went with the 9C as opposed to 8103 was price. Can't beat a new Tx with module for $260.

TonyF, thank you to offer to help. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions once I get started.

woketman

You mentioned that you "can put both elevator, both aileron, both flaps, and the rudder & nose gear servo all on different but equal channels and adjust all of the centers, limits, expos, etc. all from the transmitter with the mixing possibilities being just about endless"

Well, a 9C has 8 fully proportional 1024 resolution channels plus 1 off/on channel. I can put all of the above-mentioned controls on different channels and adjust centers, limits, expos and do most of the mixing as well. I do agree with you that a 9Z, 10x or MPX will give me "endless mixing possibilities" but for the time being I believe this would be sufficient.

Thank you again

Mike
Old 07-22-2002, 12:20 AM
nIgHthAwK17

For those of you that don't know, the 9C is the replacement to the 8U series... I have had the opportunity to play around with the programming and I was very impressed with how "english-ified" the japanese made the 9C. The menus are much more user friendly, even comparing closely to the 10X(I've played with one of those, too). Had I not gotten a 9Z and waited, the 9C would have been my choice(next to a Profi)...(that's for Woketboy.... )

My two cents...