Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Exhaust duct thrust loss

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Exhaust duct thrust loss

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2002, 06:13 PM
Max Ahlman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust duct thrust loss

I just retrofitted my Avond's F-104 with a Simjet 3000 with 12,5 kg thrust, replacing a JetCat P-80.
Other than that I now can "cruise" with 40% power instead of 80% with the P-80, there's a marginal improvements at full power.
The thrust loss in my exhaust ducting seems to be very high.
Has any one found the optimum measurements for the exhaust ducting on a Avond's F-104 or another A/C with long exhaustpipe?
My pipe is about 594mm in lenght, inlet dia.is 93mm, exhaust dia. 82mm and I have an 18mm long gap between the engine and the start of the pipe, and a 16mm space between the end of the pipe and the end of the ducting.

Propsareforboats
Old 07-22-2002, 12:30 AM
nIgHthAwK17

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust duct thrust loss

From what I recall from Tam's pipes and some of the numbers he put to the inlet and exhaust diameters, there was less of a decrease (i.e. not that large of a taper) from the front of the thrust tube to the rear. I would think that if your 93 mm is correct( I'm not familiar with the turbine outlet size of a Simjet 3000 ), then your outlet diameter would be closer to 90 mm... I hope Tam decides to chime in here....