Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Which DF jet is the fastest?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Which DF jet is the fastest?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2002, 11:18 AM
w0mbat
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which DF jet is the fastest?

I am thinking about getting the Yellow Aircraft F-18 or F-4 in ARF version. I am looking for a very fast DF jet that runs an OS91. Anyone know how fast these 2 jets will fly?
Old 07-24-2002, 11:36 AM
Chris Z
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 18 is very fast.
Chris
Old 07-24-2002, 11:43 AM
DavidR

If you are looking for VERY fast DF you ned to try and find either a BVM Aggressor 3 or Ultra Viper. Both of these were 200+ mph DF jets. Both of the planes you mentioned are going to be a little more draggy than either of these planes.

David Reid
Old 07-24-2002, 04:42 PM
aparchment

Default How fast

I have seen a bunch of the yellow f18s fly. I wouldn't consider them speed demons, though they make nice scale flights.

If you want to stick to the OS91 power plant then I suggest you look at Yellow's Starfire II ARF. That's a pretty speedy plane that also slows down nicely on landing.

David is right though, if you are a speed freak and can fly well enough to handle 200 mph and over, then go looking for a BVM Aggressor II or III or a Viper or Ultra Viper. I recall these jets being clocked at 225 consistently.

Antony
Old 07-24-2002, 06:27 PM
Johng
My Feedback: (4)

Default fast F-18

I did see one once that seemed to jump across the sky it was going so fast. I think the owner had done some inlet mods - like making thicker, rounded inlet lips. That thing was in that upper league of speed planes with the vipers, etc. Not why I'd buy an F-18 though.
Old 07-25-2002, 04:16 PM
PR38

Get a Trim Air Spectre. They're easily a 220+ machine and have won several "fastest jet" awards at UK fly-ins. They are cheap (less than 1/2 the cost of BV jets) and look good too.
I ordered one directly from Trim in Australia with Ramtech fan, fiberglass after faring, clear canopy, and starter probe for about $600 shipped.
Old 07-25-2002, 08:13 PM
Ehab
My Feedback: (44)

My Ultra Viper with a 91 is almost as fast as my Bandit with a trubine. Landing the Viper is also easier than the Bandit...FYI
Old 07-25-2002, 08:31 PM
garrett_mcdonal

The other one that is quick is a MAS Renegade. A little smaller than a Bandit. Not only does it go fast (clocked at up to 220mph) but also an exceptional allround flyer.

The Trim Spectre also flys well and also goes pretty damn fast, althought it has a lot less wing area and the fueslage is a lot tighter.

However, the original thread was asking about an ARF and neither of these quite fall into that category, although the Deluxe Renegade kit is highly pre-fabricated.

Regards,
Garrett
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	18970_1492.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	11907  
Old 07-25-2002, 08:35 PM
garrett_mcdonal

Fancy a camo Renegade...

Name:	18971_1492.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	11908  
Old 07-25-2002, 09:13 PM
JimmyA

Originally posted by PR38
Get a Trim Air Spectre. They're easily a 220+ machine and have won several "fastest jet" awards at UK fly-ins. They are cheap (less than 1/2 the cost of BV jets) and look good too.
I ordered one directly from Trim in Australia with Ramtech fan, fiberglass after faring, clear canopy, and starter probe for about $600 shipped.
I saw a pic of this jet on their web site. It looks nice. Do the wings come off for transportation?

Jimmy
Old 07-25-2002, 09:30 PM
Larry J.

Default Fastest DF

The other post pretty much sum it up. Scale jets just aren't clean enough to get much over 140 to 160 mph at best.

Oct/97 Best In The West
Paul Ivie's BVM Ultra Viper
4 runs over 250 MPH (255.6 best)
"SpeedMaster" Timing Traps

Fastest DF I know ..... :stupid:
Old 07-27-2002, 08:33 AM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To answer your question,

The Hornet is the faster of the two. It will do 160 easy. I think the F-4 is less expensive, and less maint.-intensive, though. These guys are right about the BVM rockets, but you're probably not going to be able to use the engine you mentioned. Good luck with whatever you get, but if you want to get one of our ARFs, gimme an email, and I can save you a few bucks on it.
Old 07-27-2002, 03:14 PM
PR38

Default Spectre

Jimmy, yes the plans call for the wings to unbolt, but I built mine such that it was permanently fixed to the fuse (with clean fairings and whatnot). This signifcantly cleaned up the bird and looks neater too.
Garett is right, there isn't a lot of room for play. It is a tight airplane, but you should have no problem installing things if you get creative. I have flaps, retracts with doors, in-flight mixture, etc... I'll post some pics when I get my camera back.
The pic on Trim's web site doesn't do this bird justice. It is a sharp looking jet
Old 07-27-2002, 08:03 PM
JimmyA

Default Re: Spectre

Originally posted by PR38
Jimmy, yes the plans call for the wings to unbolt, but I built mine such that it was permanently fixed to the fuse (with clean fairings and whatnot). This signifcantly cleaned up the bird and looks neater too.
Garett is right, there isn't a lot of room for play. It is a tight airplane, but you should have no problem installing things if you get creative. I have flaps, retracts with doors, in-flight mixture, etc... I'll post some pics when I get my camera back.
The pic on Trim's web site doesn't do this bird justice. It is a sharp looking jet
I am looking forward to see pics of your Jet. I e-mailed the company 2 days ago and they haven't responded to me yet? maybe they get a large volume of e-mails. If I build it I would like to have flaps,retracts with doors, and in flight mixture as well. It sure looks nice. Thanks

Jimmy
Old 07-28-2002, 03:19 AM
garrett_mcdonal

Hi Jimmy,

Trim can be a little slow on the email, but once you get their attention they are fine to deal with.

Try sending another email. If you don't hear back in a day or two, let me know I will call them and give them a hurry along.

PR38 is on the money, the photos on the Trim sight don't do the model justice.

Me, I think the Renegade is the way to go. Just as fast but with a lot more room and a LOT more wing area. I also prefer the look of the Renegade. A lot more pre-fab in the deluxe Renegade, but it is more expensive.

Regards,
Garrett
Old 07-28-2002, 03:49 AM
Brian W.
My Feedback: (6)

Anyone have a picture of a spectre with a good paint scheme? Would like to see one.

Thanks
Brian
Old 07-28-2002, 03:54 AM
JimmyA

Originally posted by garrett_mcdonal

Try sending another email. If you don't hear back in a day or two, let me know I will call them and give them a hurry along.
I sure will Thanks. Wasn't there US dealer that sells the Renegade kit? I remember a lot of banner advertisements about it but I can't find it now.

Jimmy
Old 07-28-2002, 03:55 AM
JimmyA

Originally posted by Brian W.
Anyone have a picture of a spectre with a good paint scheme? Would like to see one.

Thanks
Brian
Well I found this online when I was looking for more info on the Jet. http://www.simjet.com/IMG_2277.JPG

Jimmy
Old 07-28-2002, 05:03 AM
PR38

yea, I've seen that turbine conversion before. Keep in mind the cheeks on the original are much larger.
That antenna just makes my skin crawl every time I see it. That guy has no idea how much drag that is. The tip tanks are pretty cool, but with such a small span, I just don't think it is necessary to have a bolt-on wing. Trim also has an F-20, very similar to the Spectre---the planforms are almost identical.
Speaking of Trim, they are sometimes slow at responding, but very friendly and knowledgeable when they do respond. Address your messages to Belinda at Trim. She has answered many questions for me and is very pleasant to talk to.
Hopefully I can get some pics of mine up soon.
Adam
Old 07-28-2002, 06:00 AM
garrett_mcdonal

Hi Jimmy,

Drop Darren an email at [email protected] and he can either point you in the direction of a US dealer or you could probably just deal with him directly. Darren is very good to deal with.

Website is www.mas.net.au. Not much up there on the Renegade at the moment, but just check out the Vigilante page. Most of the details are the same, except for inlet, exhaust stuff and the Vig fuselage is a bit bigger than the Renegade.

I'll go grab some photos of how mine is coming along and post them later tonight or tomorrow.

Regards,
Garrett
Old 07-28-2002, 08:36 AM
garrett_mcdonal

Default Renegade fuse

Here's a photo of the fuse

Name:	19202_1492.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	11909  
Old 07-28-2002, 08:37 AM
garrett_mcdonal

Tail feathers

Name:	19203_1492.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	11910  
Old 07-28-2002, 08:39 AM
garrett_mcdonal

The gear doors are particularly neat.

Out of the box, they are computer cut and just have a couple of itty-bitty little retainers. You glue the hinges in place, cut the notches, add the retaining lip and they're done.

Name:	19204_1492.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	11911  
Old 07-28-2002, 08:41 AM
garrett_mcdonal

Business side of the main gear doors

Name:	19205_1492.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	11912  
Old 07-28-2002, 06:29 PM
Brian W.
My Feedback: (6)

Default Renegade

After looking at the Spectre, I think I like the looks of the renegade better. How much is the renegade kit in USD? Are the wings pre sheeted? Will it use spring air gear? I have a extra OS 91 and Ramtec fan lying around, I assume it will accept the ramtec?

By the way, for the original post on this thread, I have a Yellow F-4 and I absolutely love the thing. It's fast enough, and it looks so wicked when you do a low pass over the runway. I built mine from a kit, but it is my understanding that the ARFs are built strong and light, and look great too.

Thanks,
Brian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.