Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

JetJoe engines

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

JetJoe engines

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 04:14 PM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: JetJoe engines

I can't speak for anyone's true intentions, but I have had the priviledge of meeting Justin, his dad and some of their cohorts. I honestly believe Justin's interest is in finding an "economical" turbine for his own use. He is a very smart and innovative young man. I'm not blowing smoke up anyone's rear end, and Justin's endeavors may be for naught, but I believe that if nothing else, he is having fun doing something he really loves. IF along the way he manages to turn this into a business venture, best of luck to him, but for right now I think that ,like he says, he is really just trying to learn how to make something work that obviously has some problems. I wish him the best of luck, and hope he doesn't get hurt in the process.
Tommy
Old 09-24-2004, 04:39 PM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Skymac,

I think you are missing the point that some of us are trying to make.

It is great that you are willing to tinker with your JetJoe to try to get it to work. You are learning a lot about how they work. The problem is (or maybe it's just my problem), that by continuing to come on here and other forums and talk about how you think there are just a few minor bugs to work out and that this turbine is going to work out great, others are purchasing them that either don't want to tinker with it or don't have the mechanical ability to do so. The JJ1200 is advertised as a ready to run 12# thrust turbine. Every single person that has tried to run one has proven that the JJ1200 (out of the box) is not ready to run and produce 12# of thrust. Not a single one has been able to do this.

I agree that other turbines have hit the market with problems. But with all of the other manufacturers problems, at least some of their turbines worked as advertised. So far none of JetJoe's turbines do. And not until someone gets one to run at 160K for a decent period of time, will we be able to see if the components are going to stay together reliably and safely.

I wish you luck in your endeaver, but I feel sorry for the guys that are throwing their hard earned money into these JJ1200s, because they think they have found a turbine that they can afford. Some of these guys will not be able to recover from this financial loss and may never try turbines again.
Old 09-24-2004, 05:32 PM
Vallier Racing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

rc universe= people bashing each other some one trys somthing new some one decides to take a lead in somthing they get bashed.
rc canada= none of the above b/s people helping people people keeping a open mind.

not saying this applys to all on both sites just the majority
Old 09-24-2004, 06:12 PM
turn and burn

i for one am very interested in the out come of the test .turbine in kit form delived to the uk 389 pounds say i need to change some of the parts 200 pounds thats a total of 589 pounds where can i get a 12lb turbine for 589 pounds .
Old 09-24-2004, 07:13 PM
GrayUK

Best of luck (turn and Burn)
Old 09-24-2004, 08:08 PM
DavidR
My Feedback: (1)

rc canada= none of the above b/s people helping people people keeping a open mind.
SO pack your ***** and don't let the door hit you in the @$$ on the way out!! You're criticising just like all the people you accuse of it!
Old 09-24-2004, 08:58 PM
John Redman
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great point Dave, maybe he will be lucky and someone will give him a JJ turbine for his troubles.
Old 09-24-2004, 09:37 PM
speed run
My Feedback: (9)

John ,
A LITTLE TO MUCH TO THE POINT
I HAVE PUT ALOT OF TIME IN WITH JETCATS P-80 AND P-120'S AND VERY PLEASED YOU MIGHT SAY .BUT THE 160'S HAVE HAD SOME ISSUES I BELIEVE CORRECT.
I HAVE WATCH THE START UP OF APPROX. 15 TIMES OF THE JJ1200 OF JUSTINS PROJECT AND AMAZINGLY IT STARTS RUNS AND SOUNDS GREAT GO FIGURE MAYBE IN THE FUTURE WE WILL NOT PAY 3000.00 FOR A JET CAT BUT 1500.00 FOR A JET CAT, THAT IS WHAT THE ISSUE IS AT HAND. MANUFACTURES ARE WORRIED ABOUT THE DOLLAR AND NOT THE UPFRONT COST TO THE HOBBIEST TO GROW AND NOT LIMIT IT.[:-]

(reply to john redman)
Old 09-25-2004, 12:07 AM
John Redman

SPeedrun,

Let me give you the point.

I am glad to hear you have been pleased with your JetCat's in the past. But let me ask you do our engines hit the max rpm when you ask for it? I believe they do. It seems funny how the JJ series of engines can't even come up to full rpm when requested by the ECU. There is alot more to these things than what most guys think. They are by no means plug and play devices. Those are only found in your computer.

The internals of the JJ series of engines looks good. But that is only about 20% of the equation. I KNOW what it takes to get these damned little engines to run correctly on demand.

Maybe the reason you are getting only half the rpm the engine is suppose to deliver is because you only payed half the price for the engine.

Get the point now? I hope so, as I am off to Superman and won't be able to protect my six during the enormous flame war I have begun.

Cleared for take off, and yes I will be at full rpm on demand!
Old 09-25-2004, 12:10 AM
John Redman

I will probably get fired for my last set of comments on this subject. Hey Carlos, you got any openings for a down on his luck turbine mechanic at RTI? Maybe with the right amount of training we could have RTI service JetJoe engines and I could be in charge of the department.
Old 09-25-2004, 12:12 AM
tankie

Popcorn anyone?[sm=biggrin.gif]
Old 09-25-2004, 12:15 AM
KFalcon
My Feedback: (18)

Yes please.
Old 09-25-2004, 12:23 AM
tankie

Absolutely! (passes popcorn and beers)
Old 09-25-2004, 12:32 AM
ghost_rider
My Feedback: (20)

And the ghost_rider is standing by....with finger on the “close thread†button. "Go ahead, make my day" (pun intended)
Old 09-25-2004, 01:01 AM
tankie

I shall offer my apologies to all
Just trying to lighten the thread.

Gary
Old 09-25-2004, 01:06 AM
John Redman

Gary, my microwave just shut down with a fresh bag of popcorn. I was getting ready.
Old 09-25-2004, 01:09 AM
tankie

noted, another day pehaps[&o]

Gary

EDIT- Looking foward to constructive posts on this topic
Old 09-25-2004, 01:10 AM
ghost_rider

ORIGINAL: tankie

I shall offer my apologies to all
Just trying to lighten the thread.

Gary
Gary

No apologies required. My post was written with pun intended.
Old 09-25-2004, 02:16 AM
Romeo-Alpha

Don't know that I want a JetCat anymore...[&o]
Old 09-25-2004, 04:24 AM
itsadogslife

Er, maybe you could try a JetJoe....... and let us know how long it goes ....
Old 09-25-2004, 06:37 AM
Skymac

John R,

Seems pretty funny to me that we have even tried to take it to full rpm yet, wasn't planning to do that until sunday...... No body tried to get anything started with you Jonh so why did you have to come in here and take a flame thrower to what "speed run" said, can't bash the truth.
Old 09-25-2004, 06:46 AM
Romeo-Alpha

Old 09-25-2004, 08:34 AM
ghost_rider

I am posting this one upon the request of a user.

Regards

Ben

To: ghost_rider
Date: 9/25/2004 2:36:42 AM
Subject: JJ1200 saga

This is being followed with interest in New Zealand and I know of one JJ1200 here.
In my case I have built an MW54 from scratch parts and blank castings and it runs very well.
The key thing for homebuilders is the attractive price of parts from JJ for example NZ$140 for a PAIR of GRW bearings as opposed to $150 per bearing via Wren. (although the bearings could be copied as well).
From what I have read the rotating assembly and combustor is sub standard but things like diffuser, NGV, case etc seem to be cost effective substitutes for homebuilders.
If this turb is indeed a chop of a WREN and is dimensionally the same component wise then JJ may have a market with homebuilders.

I personally think this engine should not have been released to the punters in it's current form and if all issues are resolved it will run quite some dollars dearer on the shelf.

Gary

PS I would post this on the JJ thread but there seems to be an awfull lot political and personal conflict clouding the issue.
I don't want to contribute to the closing of a thread which could yeild important information.
If you feel this message would contribute to the issue please feel frr to post it on my behalf.
Old 09-25-2004, 11:39 AM
Gordito Volador
My Feedback: (1)

Justin,

Keep pluggin' away man, this whole hobby used to be about pioneering and investigating.

Regards, Bill

"Minds of moderate caliber are always quick to condemn that which is beyond their range"
Old 09-25-2004, 08:22 PM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

I like my popcorn with extra butter and a Corona .

Thank you.

CARS II

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.