Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

BVM T-33 AFS Build thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

BVM T-33 AFS Build thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 06:42 AM
marc s

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: BVM T-33 AFS Build thread

Gaz,

Hi, just spotted and read through your exploits so far, keep up the good work.
I built a T33 for a friend a while back, pics are on my site under 'gallery' (www.gbrjet.com) which might help in certain areas.
I have shots which are not posted so if you need help I am happy to burn them to a disc for you so please feel free to call or email/PM

One thing I think might be of use is the method I used to mount the gear door that fits to the leg, I made it so it was removable which I felt was important should a problem arise with the gear itself.

marcs

Old 11-24-2010, 09:55 AM
Gazzer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Marc,

many thanks for your suggestions, I took the liberty to view your site and gallery...... impressive, I love the servo mounts, what a great and simple idea, why did it take until to now to think of that, but glad you did!!!

I like the concept and implementation of your gear door attachment, it does make a lot of sense. I also spotted quite a number of modifications which suit the installation and improve the overall model. Here is the thing, I am not confident and hesitate to do anything other than the book!!! However, I have a new mental mantra of not rushing, It's taken me 6 years to get this far, so another 4 for completion cannot be too bad!!!

What is pleasing is the cutting that you ahve done of the doors etc, looks like mine, in other words I think I might have got those bits right!

Now, I need to audit all the bits and bobs that are only slightly scattered in the garage and put the inventory of what I have and what is missing. Then I can progress and the first thing is to treat the kit like it was someone else's part build and review all the joints, assemblies etc. I must not be afraid to remove something that is not right, or could be better and to re install it doing the preparation at the highest standard I can.

I know for example I had trouble with the front nose hatch, I think I need to remove the wood retainers and start again, I may even need to remove the hatch latch/pin.

I did like your front floor tray modification too, did make a lot of sense and so neatly manufactured. Your garage does look really well equipped!!!

Is it Farnborough Hants? I used to live in Cove, if it's Farnborough Oxfordshire, then can I come round as it's just up the road from me!!!

Really appreciate the note, if it is OK with you maybe I can keep in contact as you suggest on your web site or by phone, I am "the" guy who needs help!!!

Have you any pics of the finished item, that would be nice to see?

Cheers,

Gaz
Old 11-24-2010, 10:34 AM
marc s

Farnborough, Hants...........

Waiting for the client to fly it and then paint it so other than those pics I have thats it for the time being.
Just mail me via the site if you need help or suggestions.

marc.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:02 AM
Don Y

Gazzer, I just built two BVM T-33 for customers so I'm pretty familiar with them. I didn't change much except cutting ailerons off and hinged them with Robart pin hinges. Not that the live hinge isn't good, just didn't know what I might do to them in the priming and painting process. I suggest when you install the center main gear doors scuff the strut and clean it then use J B Weld to attach the door. You may need a thin ply shim spacer. Aluminum braces should not be necessary. You should apply air to the gear to insure the gear is fully retracted before gluing door and taping in place. If I can be of help let me know. Don Yockey E-mail ; [email protected]
Old 12-02-2010, 09:43 AM
Gazzer

Hi Don,

Thanks for that, does seem that consensus is to change the door mounting, I am at that stage from memory, so will look at the alternatives, and probably go for the easiest!!!!

Will be a few weeks before I get into the groove again, so feel free to chip in and look out for the silly questions that will be coming!!!

Cheers,

Gazzer
Old 04-08-2012, 06:18 AM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

Anyone still watching this thread? If so, does anyone have a set of tanks for this T-33 that they will part with? Like after you switched over to DF or just not using. Even if they need a little repair, thats not a Prob. Thanks Roy
Old 04-08-2012, 08:11 PM
booker-RCU
My Feedback: (43)

Roy - I have the older tank that was mounted up front between the intake ducts. It's never been used.
If you're intrested in this let me know.
Galen

Old 04-09-2012, 12:22 PM
hooker53

Galen, I might be interested in that tank. Is it for the nitro burner or the turbine? Send a photo if you can and mabey that will keep me from asking so many questions. Ha. Ha. Thanks for the contact. Roy
Old 04-09-2012, 12:41 PM
Gazzer

Hi guys,

I hope to keep the post open, it may qualify as the longest ever build, despite the hopes above, nothing has moved on yet!!!

However, it will one day, 2 years left before my 50th!

If anyone wants to help me build it, do it for me, get in touch!!!!!

Cheers,

Gaz
Old 04-09-2012, 01:42 PM
booker-RCU
My Feedback: (43)

ORIGINAL: hooker53

Galen, I might be interested in that tank. Is it for the nitro burner or the turbine? Send a photo if you can and mabey that will keep me from asking so many questions. Ha. Ha. Thanks for the contact. Roy
Roy - I posted it for sale in the jets for sale section. If it is something you can use then go for it . If not maybe some one else will want it.

Galen

Old 08-30-2013, 12:59 PM
Gazzer

Blimey.... nearly a year since my last post..... I have made some progress though.... I sanded the Carbon Bypass shroud from its over primed and filled state to back to near black, smooth and ready to paint. I got a new shed and moved the model down there! I have 328 days to finish this...... It CAN be done, or I might take it up to Limey to have him do it for me instead! BUT....... she will be done before my 50th making it a 10 year build! See you soon guys!
Old 08-30-2013, 01:26 PM
jason
My Feedback: (1)

Nine year build thread! Come on Gary you know where there is a runway when you need it!

Jason
Old 08-30-2013, 01:34 PM
hooker53

Gary. Don't fret. I have some kits that are much older than that. Lol.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:48 PM
Gazzer

Thanks Hooker!

Jason!

Good to hear from you, I hope all things are good and prosperous for you? I thought you were giving it the heave ho a few years back? If you fancy a joint build project, let me know, I think I can recall where you live.... just!

Cheers all,

Gaz
Old 08-30-2013, 01:54 PM
jason
My Feedback: (1)

Gaz

Knocked this toy plane thing on the head for a while a few years back but I just could not kick the habit for good..I have a few build projects on of my own looming. Got a Airworld F-100 due back from the painters soon and a Ultra bandit to build at the end of the year for next season.

If you fancy poping over and getting enthused again give me about 6 weeks and I'll have lots to show you!

J

Originally Posted by Gazzer
Thanks Hooker!

Jason!

Good to hear from you, I hope all things are good and prosperous for you? I thought you were giving it the heave ho a few years back? If you fancy a joint build project, let me know, I think I can recall where you live.... just!

Cheers all,

Gaz
Old 08-30-2013, 02:54 PM
Gazzer

Jason,

See you in October, I will bring the hobnobs!

Gaz
Old 06-05-2015, 09:03 PM
flyrcjets
My Feedback: (30)

Well?
Old 02-02-2017, 01:14 PM
flyrcjets

Originally Posted by jason
Nine year build thread! Come on Gary you know where there is a runway when you need it!

Jason
What's the news?
Old 12-20-2019, 02:09 PM
Gazzer

Default Time passes......

I am afraid 5 more years have passed.... the model remains in the same state with the same intentions.... maybe before I am 60 then!!! Another 4 1/2 years to go then!

Gazzer
Old 12-20-2019, 03:17 PM
flyrcjets

Guess I'll check back in another 4 years then...
My 33 is still as beautiful as ever...

Old 12-21-2019, 05:40 AM
drfred58809

I love the T33 design.....one day I will buy one from PAF in Germany for miniturbine ;-))
Old 12-24-2019, 07:05 AM
DornierJet
My Feedback: (91)

Default T-33

Originally Posted by flyrcjets
Guess I'll check back in another 4 years then...
My 33 is still as beautiful as ever...
I just bought the one on here that looks similar to yours. Any suggestions I should do? I was looking through the threads and know they talked about the undercamber on wings, retracts etc.

Old 12-24-2019, 07:54 AM
sidgates
My Feedback: (2)

I never learned to consistently make a good landing with my BVM T-33 but lost it with aileron servo failure. I had the stall strips installed on the leading edge wing root. T-33 is one of my favorite jets, I have approx. 200 hours in the full scale. My paint scheme is from the 27th Fighter Squadron where I flew.

Old 07-06-2021, 04:51 AM
Gazzer

Soooooooooo what's happened.... Well a lot and nothing. A lot of other things, Covid, new job, bereavements, and a lot of stresses and strains.... But I am not unique and the world is still spinning.... so get this, I had few hundred quid lodged in my savings account when up pops a WREN MW54 MKIII and the maths works!!!! So I now have a T33 nearing 17 years old, and an engine with about an hour on it nearing 14 years old..... and someone may have found me an interested builder, so if I can get the next few quids sorted out.... this build thread may continue.... let's see if we can get it airborne before I am 60 so a mere 3 years away!!!

Gaz