Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

new Arf Boomerang 14lb thrust

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

new Arf Boomerang 14lb thrust

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 04:31 PM
CRAZYFLYERuk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: new Arf Boomerang 14lb thrust

all 20lts shouting please burn me can bring raven as well

hope to hear from you

andy [8D][8D]
Old 03-06-2005, 04:40 PM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: CRAZYFLYERuk

all 20lts shouting please burn me can bring raven as well

hope to hear from you

andy [8D][8D]
Say what? Is this on topic?

Dave
Old 03-06-2005, 04:53 PM
john agnew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dave

You are being anal again! This is Scottish code completely undecipherable to our US compadres!

It means we WILL burn jet A tomorrow and you WILL still be praying for good weather!

John
Old 03-06-2005, 05:03 PM
rcguy!

ORIGINAL: john agnew

Dave

You are being anal again! This is Scottish code completely undecipherable to our US compadres!

It means we WILL burn jet A tomorrow and you WILL still be praying for good weather!

John
Blimey! I should have known! "Burn a pint thinking of me!"

Just what is the Scottish word for analhole? :-))

Dave Rigotti
Old 03-06-2005, 05:06 PM
john agnew

Dave

"Arsepiece"

John
Old 03-06-2005, 05:17 PM
rcguy!

"Forgive me for being an arsepiece on thinking we got off topic!"

Now...If Alan only begins shipping USA orders early...NOT wanting to be an arsepiece about it though......

Enjoy your flying day...

Dave Rigotti
Old 03-06-2005, 05:21 PM
rorywquin

John

Do you think that glassing (actually light kevlar cloth) over the wheel mounting blocks would solve the splitting problem?
Old 03-07-2005, 03:41 AM
john agnew

Rory

I don't think so. It appears Alan is going to supply hardwood blocks which should solve the problem.

John
Old 03-07-2005, 12:19 PM
john agnew

We did do some flying today , but not with the Boomerang, still waiting for springair bits.3 flights on the IAD Serpent. (pic shows a low pass)
and two on the L39.

Okay it's not Florida Jets but you have to take your fun where you can.

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51879.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	239557  
Old 03-09-2005, 11:07 AM
john agnew

Guys

Retract installation complete and gear cycling smoothly. A bit crowded now under the hood. The air tank will fit under the radio tray but only if you use the suggested retract forward nosegear. Ready for air test Thursday / Friday if weather ok.

Tested everything, ran up Wren, gas ignition to idle in 18 seconds on a cold day, helps if you can keep the powermax can warm.Really getting the hang of manual starts, no way I would opt for autostart as I believe manual start gives you more control of the start procedure in cold temperatures.I.E. you can vary the gas flow and adjust starter rpm at will.

Anyone else got their kit yet? How is progress?

John

Name:	Mk26833.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	240961   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24130.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	240962  
Old 03-09-2005, 11:35 AM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Here in the "New World", I spoke with Ms. Cardash today. She says Alan would be leaving Florida today going back to England. The kits here have cleared Customs and are in the prcess of being delivered to her house. She will be shipping them out via DHL within the week, with an expected delievery within 10 days. What a pleasure to talk to, she is a hoot. Although she may be pulling my leg, she told me she was 35, blonde with long legs, 36-24-36, but retired....imagine that, she must have had a good financial planner
Tommy
Old 03-09-2005, 12:00 PM
rcguy!

ORIGINAL: DocYates

Here in the "New World", I spoke with Ms. Cardash today. She says Alan would be leaving Florida today going back to England. The kits here have cleared Customs and are in the prcess of being delivered to her house. She will be shipping them out via DHL within the week, with an expected delievery within 10 days. What a pleasure to talk to, she is a hoot. Although she may be pulling my leg, she told me she was 35, blonde with long legs, 36-24-36, but retired....imagine that, she must have had a good financial planner
Tommy
I too have chatted with Patricia. A very lovely lady to do business with. I would have guessed her age at closer to 36 than 35! Her has told me the same thing. Kits should be shipping to us very soon.

Dave Rigotti
Old 03-09-2005, 12:29 PM
CRAZYFLYERuk

hi john any other pics
Old 03-09-2005, 12:41 PM
john agnew

Andy

Run back through the thread and you will find some. I think its abit of an ugly duckling! Not as good looking as a Serpent.

By the way I meant my Serpent! But I guess that don't look so good anymore!

John
Old 03-09-2005, 12:44 PM
john agnew

Andy

I take it you meant pics of your Serpent? Sorry only specks in the distance. I will have to read the camer manual!

John
Old 03-09-2005, 01:38 PM
Rojeck
My Feedback: (22)

John,

Did you have to move the mounting blocks for the main retract closer to the fuse? The one I am having built sat tail end up and nose down with the wheels. I am using BVM 2 5/8" wheels on the mains and 2 1/4" on the nose. By moving the main retracts closer in we were able to shorten the wire struts and keep the plane level when sitting on the ground. Does yours sit level or nose down to the gound? If nose down, how did it handle on the ground and how was the takeoff? If all goes well, I should be able to fly it this weekend.

Sung
Old 03-09-2005, 02:57 PM
john agnew

Sung

Is your Intro an ARTF? If so I am using 2 3/4" main wheels and 2 1/4" nose wheel I am using springairs with the main wheel retract body up against the inner end of the mounting rails. I did this as I had a spare set of made up gear from another model and this position put the wheels right in the centre of the wheel wells. I am not adopting the suggested front retracting noseleg as I don't happen to like that system and am using a leg that retracts rearwards. (see pics).

I have made up a new nosegear mount (see pics on thread) and I have made the noseleg of a length so that model sits level. I hope to fly it tomorrow and will let you know.

When I flew it with the fixed gear it had a nose up attitude and lifted ofthe runway with very little elevator input. I don't know what you have flown before but this is a very easy to fly model and you will enjoy it.

John
Old 03-09-2005, 07:28 PM
GJr.
My Feedback: (3)

Alan and his sister were at Florida Jets and actually had some kits available at the meet. They also flew one of the new kits and it performed just like a "Boomerang", imagine that. It is a nice plane/kit.
I spoke with Alan about bringing in some kits that are a solid color, such as white, for those that want to do their own thing. He is looking for input as to the interest level of this idea. He is considering bringing in some of these in the next shipment. Let Alan know your feelings. I like the idea.
Old 03-10-2005, 03:40 AM
john agnew

Glen

Good idea on the colour schemes. I am not wild about the ones on offer at present. I prefer the two centre ones in this shot.

John

Name:	Ca82994.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	241555  
Old 03-10-2005, 08:16 AM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

I am hoping I will be able to remove some of the trim from mine to do my "own thing so to speak. I defintely want an all white one in the future, whether it be the baby or the big boomer.
Tommy
Old 03-10-2005, 10:05 AM
rorywquin

He does include extra covering in the box. I'm not sure if it is enough to "personalise" with but I seem to recall, from a conversation with him, that it is. A nice touch!

I also like the fact that the underside is a solid colour (in the main colour ie red, blue or yellow) - really helps with orientation!

I think his plane is going to get a lot of new people out there flying jets!

My wife already hates him and I have not collected mine yet!
Old 03-10-2005, 11:17 AM
john agnew

Guys

Three flights on the Intro today, cloudy weather 45oF and 10 knots down the centreline. Springairs / wire legs operating perfectly, landings absolutely no problem at about 20mph ground speed.The model looks better and is faster with the reracts.

Have adjusted flap / elevator mix to 8% down elevator at the suggested elevator throw at 75% flap. Model maintains neutral pitch attitude at this setting and requires about 25% power to maintain level flight into 10 knot wind on finals, cut power at about 6 feet and model runs for about 30yards on grass.

Favourite manoeuver is full power pass, pull to vertical, four rolls, stall turn off top, one roll on the way down and exit inverted. This is becoming fun! The thrust ratio is about 1:1 and the climb rate is seriously good.

As usual Wren performing flawlessly. Final weight with retracts and nose gear mount including full 6oz hopper is 15lbs 4oz.I am going to try removing 4oz of lead from the nose as the nose retract and mount have added this amount. An 8 minute flight leaves 200cc's in the 1500cc tank with plenty of use of full throttle.

Hope you all get your kits soon and can get airborne. Any further queries please post.

John
Old 03-10-2005, 12:27 PM
rcguy!

John,
Thanks for the update. I was guessing that 15 pounds would be closer with retracts. 25 degrees F and 3-5 inches of snow forecast the two days. Not flying anything for a few weeks. Hopefully the kits will ship soon from Dallas. This will give me a few weeks to order in the stuuf and get it airworthy. Maybe by April 3rd we can maiden her.

Dave Rigotti
Old 03-10-2005, 02:10 PM
Keroboost

Hi again Guys, from Rainy London now,

Here's an extract from the instructions which may be helpful for those awaiting kits.

Some of the Additional items required to complete the INTRO kit;-

Radio;- Minimum 4 Channel using Y leads and fixed landing gear. Normally 6 to 9 channel with 6 servos to control surfaces ( 1 Elevator, 2 Ailerons, 2 rudders and 1 flap, plus 1 steering to noseleg and additional for retracts, brakes if used, etc.

Extension leads to servos.
2 off. 500 mm. for rudders used in the booms.
“Y Link”for rudders used in center wing.
2 off. 200mm. used in center wing for ailerons. (2 channels)
2 off. 100mm. for ailerons in outer wing panels.
“Y link” if using only one channel for ailerons.
1 of 700mm. used along R.H.boom to elevator.
1 of 80 mm. used in tailplane(stabiliser) for elevator.

6 off. 3mm. (or 4/40) pushrods.
12 off. 3mm. (or 4/40) clevises.

50 or 60 oz. fuel tank Dubro or similar suitable for Kerosene. ( If permitted under the jet rules and regulations in your area, any suitable plastic 2 litre container with fuel line fittings can be used if you find one to fit in the tank bay. For safety, check with your flying association or authority first. Fuel Tank rules for turbines vary depending on local regulations.)
A hopper tank bubble trap or BVM type UAT (Ultimate Air Trap.) is essential if you plan to fly aerobatics.

The retracts used in the prototypes are Springair 101 HD, but any make of lightweight, heavy duty retracts will be suitable. (3/16” or 5mm. wire legs).
Wheels 63 mm.(2.5”) mains, with 55mm.(2.25”) noseleg.
Brakes optional. Intro will come to a stop and stand on a runway with the turbine idling, without brakes but for safety, brakes are recommended.

Using a whip antenna to your receiver is highly recommended.

This kit is designed for the small, light turbines from 7 to 14 lbs. of thrust. Do not use a larger turbine! Keeping the all up weight as light as possible will give the sparkling performance that Boomerang designs are noted for.

Optional;- If you wish to add to or modify the trim at any time, this model is covered in Profilm. (Orocover). A small amount of extra covering is included in the kit in each colour used.

Hope this is useful,
ALan
Old 03-10-2005, 02:11 PM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

Based on comments here and other places I have decided that the Boomerang Jr. will be my first Jet RC Model. I will be going with fixed gear initially. I called Patricia yesterday and placed my order. She said "Yes my Darling, I have them and will start shipping tomorrow." What great lady to talk to! I have a PST Turbine coming tomorrow from Frank Tiano. I should have it ready to go but the time the 100 or so inches of snow we've had this winter finally melts!

Who knows, maybe Florida Jets next year!

Bob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.