Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Reaction 54 Jet Kit

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Reaction 54 Jet Kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 09:59 PM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Reaction 54 Jet Kit

Here's a shot of my nearly complete R54. Just ordered a PST-600R for it.

Dave Rigotti

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44970.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	211157  
Old 01-05-2005, 10:01 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Very cool, like to see some video's of the birds fly! If it was made to handle the P80+ size engines, Id have one here!
Old 01-05-2005, 10:03 PM
TommyWatson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks Good Dave, All we need now is the wheels!!!

Regards
Old 01-05-2005, 10:04 PM
tschuy

Planes look great guys!! Really wetting my whistle to hurry up and get mine done...

Hopefully Bruce will have some good news for those of us who also ordered the Robart Retract gear sets.

Cheers,
Old 01-05-2005, 10:07 PM
rcguy!

ORIGINAL: rcguy!

Here's a shot of my nearly complete R54. Just ordered a PST-600R for it.

Dave Rigotti

BTW...The tail is removable to ease transport in the Santa Fe SUV. Should have the turbine within 2 weeks. Will spend the remaining time installing the R/C gear, making pushrods, etc. OH! and making "jet" noises too! I have no idea on the weight as of yet.

Dave Rigotti
Old 01-05-2005, 10:12 PM
rcguy!

ORIGINAL: TommyWatson

Looks Good Dave, All we need now is the wheels!!!

Regards
Thanks!
I know Bruce is working very hard to get us the retracts. Seems Robart's clock ticks VERY SLOOOOW[]. I think we'll have a good idea early next week when Bruce gets back from Convention 2005. He's as disappointed as we are! I'll stay busy with the million things yet to finish. I've contacted some experienced turbine guys here in Cleveland, Ohio and they are going to help with that first start. "Damn...I grinning just thinking about it!

Dave Rigotti
Old 01-05-2005, 10:14 PM
tschuy

Hey Dave,

You got to promise everyone that you'll post pictures of that thing inside the Santa Fe SUV!!!

It's got to be a tight fit!!!

Bet this thing will move right along with the PST-600R too...

Cheers,
Old 01-05-2005, 10:19 PM
rcguy!

Tim,
Will do! Connie understands these things. She'll loan me the SUV if I bribe her by taking her out to dinner. "Not so bad...I like a good meal too!"

Dave Rigotti
Old 01-05-2005, 10:37 PM
tschuy

Oohh Ouch....

Hope your wife doesn't read these...

Just teasing, I'm sure she's a good cook :-)

Cheers,
Old 01-05-2005, 10:47 PM
rcguy!

Connie and I have been together for over 30 years. I was flying R/C when we meet and it's been a part of our lives together. She's a great gal and understands these things. No trouble with getting into turbines either.
BTW.... Ask her when you meet her...she hates to cook! Thank God for delivery!

Dave Rigotti
Old 01-06-2005, 06:34 AM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

Mine is ready to cover but I'll wait until the gear shows up. I was at a friend's house last night for dinner and he had a kit sitting in the corner of the dinning room trying to get it into the basement before the wife or I got there. Well now there will be 4 of us here in Balto with them. I'll get the 3 of them together for a pic when they are finished.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:04 PM
rcguy!

Here's proof positive that the Santa Fe is plenty big enough! The removable tail was not necessary. Even have room for a passanger!

Dave Rigotti
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58108.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	211558   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nj25723.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	211559   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv54946.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	211560  
Old 01-06-2005, 09:20 PM
tschuy

Very Cool!!!

Just don't plan on taking another airplane.

Working 12 hour days Wednesday thru Saturday and too pooped to play with airplanes when I come home....

Will pickup the building again on Sunday. Got the skin on the left side completed and the spars in place for the right panel.

Cheers,

Tim
Old 01-12-2005, 11:41 AM
BruceTharpe

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Okay, back from the show now. Robart's still working on gear, now they say they will ship this week. Very discouraging considering how long ago I started working with them. Anyway, they are willing to drop ship to the guys who are ready for the gear right now, so that will save a few days for the guys who are stuck in the water. Tim, Ron, Dave, Mark in MD are on the drop ship list. Tommy, I'm sorry, but will have to ship to Australia when I receive them. Anybody else please let me know with a call or e-mail - let's not do it here.

BTW, the package from Robart is only part of the retract package, so I'll be mailing out the remainder to the drop shippers very soon as well.

To Robart's credit, they make fantastic products and I'm proud to use their gear in the R54. I do apologize for the delay - will know better next time...

Bruce
-----------
BTE www.btemodels.com
Old 01-12-2005, 12:14 PM
tschuy

Thanks for the update Bruce,

Much appreciated.

BTW I'm having a ball putting mine together. Truly a great kit.

Cheers,
Old 01-13-2005, 07:07 AM
rcguy!

ORIGINAL: BruceTharpe

Okay, back from the show now. Robart's still working on gear, now they say they will ship this week. Very discouraging considering how long ago I started working with them. Anyway, they are willing to drop ship to the guys who are ready for the gear right now, so that will save a few days for the guys who are stuck in the water. Tim, Ron, Dave, Mark in MD are on the drop ship list. Tommy, I'm sorry, but will have to ship to Australia when I receive them. Anybody else please let me know with a call or e-mail - let's not do it here.

BTW, the package from Robart is only part of the retract package, so I'll be mailing out the remainder to the drop shippers very soon as well.

To Robart's credit, they make fantastic products and I'm proud to use their gear in the R54. I do apologize for the delay - will know better next time...

Bruce
-----------
BTE www.btemodels.com
Bruce,
Thanks for the update. Installing the radio and pushrods in the wing. PST-600R turbine ordered on 01/04/05. Should be arriving very soon. Does not look like the retracts will be arriving for this weekend...Not much more to do without the retracts and turbine.
While Robart does make a very good unit...I'll be passing on any decision to purchase from them in future if I can help it. It took 'em 2 weeks to answer a simple question about the Funsonic turbine they are selling. (One of the reasons I purchased the PST) I can't image what the turnaround time would be to actually fix something. Here in Cleveland, Ohio our flying season is precious short and waiting for a repair is agonizing! Customer service can't be high on their list!

End of rant.......

One more thing....Comments on a 72% size R54 for a Wren44? @750 square inches at 9 pounds looks right? Hmmmm......

Thanks again Bruce
Dave Rigotti
Old 01-14-2005, 02:27 PM
1Eye
My Feedback: (2)

Ron Stahl wrote ...
I opened up the bulkhead in front of the wing where the ECU is supposed to live to except a Dubro 24 oz tank and also moved the UAT to the front and now can carry 74 oz.
Matt Carroll was asking about a kevlar tank in a separate thread. Has anybody been able to make contact with Gary Mueller to see if he's going to produce tanks for this gem of a jet?

Mike
Old 01-14-2005, 02:51 PM
rcguy!

ORIGINAL: MrMike

Ron Stahl wrote ...
I opened up the bulkhead in front of the wing where the ECU is supposed to live to except a Dubro 24 oz tank and also moved the UAT to the front and now can carry 74 oz.
Matt Carroll was asking about a kevlar tank in a separate thread. Has anybody been able to make contact with Gary Mueller to see if he's going to produce tanks for this gem of a jet?

Mike
I answered that it was mine. A special..don't know if he will make them a standard.

Dave Rigotti
Old 01-14-2005, 03:19 PM
tschuy

Hey Dave,

Do you have some pictures of it? I'd like to do the same sometime, but was thinking of making my own tanks. Will take some work I know but it's possible and would add a few more ounces without modification to the airframe. Would be nice to have about 70 ounces total which would give my engine a good 10 minute run with a reserve for a missed approach and go around.

Cheers,
Old 01-14-2005, 05:00 PM
rcguy!

ORIGINAL: tschuy

Hey Dave,

Do you have some pictures of it? I'd like to do the same sometime, but was thinking of making my own tanks. Will take some work I know but it's possible and would add a few more ounces without modification to the airframe. Would be nice to have about 70 ounces total which would give my engine a good 10 minute run with a reserve for a missed approach and go around.

Cheers,
Pictures when I get it. I'll show the install too! Should have a minimal affect on the CG too!

Dave Rigotti
Old 01-14-2005, 05:47 PM
1Eye
My Feedback: (2)

I answered that it was mine.
Nobody's gonna take your tank, Dave ... [sm=punching.gif] I'm sure we'll be able to track down Gary and see if he'll pop out a few more.

Mike
Old 01-14-2005, 06:07 PM
rcguy!

ORIGINAL: MrMike

I answered that it was mine.
Nobody's gonna take your tank, Dave ... [sm=punching.gif] I'm sure we'll be able to track down Gary and see if he'll pop out a few more.

Mike
Wasn't worried about that.....I posted on the other thread that it was mine, as in who's is it. Pony up $102 and I'm sure Gary will make one for you too! I'll post pictures when I receive it. Capacity should be 70oz or a bit more. With the UAT I'll be carrying at least 74oz at takeoff.

Dave Rigotti
Old 01-14-2005, 08:22 PM
ArtW

How did you decide on the PST 600R as opposed to a JetCat 60 or 70? The JetCat is a bit more expensive but is more common in the US. I think the JetCat has a speed limiter (pitot tube with feedback to the ECU) which the AMA is trying to encourage. The PST is a good engine, but I don't think the ECU has a speed limiter feedback option.

I am very interested in your modifications to make a larger tank capacity as the 50 ounce seems a bit low with the 7-9 ounce per minute fuel consumption engines.

What are you doing about redundant power supplies? Power augmentation for the digital servos?
Old 01-14-2005, 09:12 PM
rcguy!

ORIGINAL: ArtW

How did you decide on the PST 600R as opposed to a JetCat 60 or 70? The JetCat is a bit more expensive but is more common in the US. I think the JetCat has a speed limiter (pitot tube with feedback to the ECU) which the AMA is trying to encourage. The PST is a good engine, but I don't think the ECU has a speed limiter feedback option.

I am very interested in your modifications to make a larger tank capacity as the 50 ounce seems a bit low with the 7-9 ounce per minute fuel consumption engines.

What are you doing about redundant power supplies? Power augmentation for the digital servos?
Art,
I'll assume you're directing your post at me..RCGUY!
The PST-600R is shown on the plans PLUS, (a big PLUS), many folks recommended it. At 6-7oz fuel burn for 14# thrust it seems better than a P70 sucking 8-9ozs. OK..ya can always throttle back right? Well then WHY have all that iron in the first place? Is it gonna run out of warranty any soomer at half throttle as opposed to 3/4? Bruce suggests a P60...NOT a P70. Weight and size are the problem. As far as the "feedback" for the ECU...what for on this model??? It ain't even gonna do 150MPH! Price was even better...$2135 shipping included from AirPac models. JetcatUSA can't touch that for a #14 thrust turbine! The new TEMS V2.37 has an adjustable failsafe delay too!
The 70oz tank is being built by Gary at Jet Tech. It will fill most of the available space where the 50oz DuBro tank goes. NO modifications to the airframe are planned. It's real close to the CG so trim change during burn-off will be minor. Not to mention the Kevlar construction to help prevent a post crash fire destroying EVERYTHING. CHEAP INSURANCE methinks!!! I'll post pics when I get it and of the install. Should be good for 10 minutes with reserve for go arounds at advanced throttle settings!
The digitals? I plan on using a 1500MAH pack and charging as required...maybe every other flight? I used Flightworks servo extensions which are 18ga wire to reduce "line loss". The flap servos used 36" long in the wing and the ailerons used 24" ones. These 4 servos are tied into the RX with 24" extensions that plug together at the wing openning. I twisted them to help prevent "noise". ALOT of wire in these 4 servo leads! BTW... they sell a beautiful fueling pump!
Lets remember WHY I got the BTE R54... to fly from a grass field of 500' length EVERY weekend. Jet Rallys will be fun, but enjoying flying with my local buddies is where it's at. To survive this flying, the airframe must be robust and allow for landing speeds below Mach2! Yeah,,,someday I'll have a 200MPH turbine, but not today. I would be nice to fly the turbine out of warranty befor the end of summer! Agree?

Dave Rigotti
Old 01-14-2005, 09:16 PM
tschuy

According to Bruce Tharpe it would take a lot of effort to get close to the AMA maximum speed of 200 MPH. The wing has a 13.8% thickness at the root of the wing which is pretty fat compared to most jets. I suppose if one tried hard enough he could get there. But he would have to really work at it. Everyone has a particular reason for one engine or another. Personal preference comes into play. For myself I went with the FTE T-500 for cost and reliability. The way I look at it, I don't need a Cadillac where a good strong Chevrolet will do the same. Customer support is an issue too.

As far as redundant power supplies, I went with a Battery Bak'r and 1650mAh NiMH 4.8 volt packs. Probably overboard for this airframe but it's nice to know that they are there incase the loads/drain of the digital servo's are pushed pretty hard.

I'm not going to modify the airframe to accomodate a larger tank. I'm one to say why fool with something that has already been proven well and don't want to constantly fly my elevator trim as fuel is burned off. But if I can better utilize the given space for where the tank is suppose to go then I'll try that. Some folks are going with engines that have a higher fuel consumption then what Bruce designed the airframe around. I'm sure the jet will do fine structurally with the higher powered engines but why sacrifice flight performance for heavier loads.

Just my 2 cents worth...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.