Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
HotSpot meets JR 8411 servo >

HotSpot meets JR 8411 servo

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

HotSpot meets JR 8411 servo

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2002, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HotSpot meets JR 8411 servo

Hello all.

I have just finished my Hotspot and i have JR 8411 servos's on the aileron/elevator surfaces. I am rather concerned with the large amount of backlash in the the metal gear train. i get al least 1/16" of slop measured out at the tip of the aileron.

Does anybody out there run the same setup? I am seriously considering putting in some of my older JR Super servos. They arent't as torquey, but they have next to no slop.

I am also considering mass balancing the main surfaces which is fundamentaly the best way to prevent flutter.

thanks

Jon
Old 09-03-2002, 05:25 PM

Default JR 8411 servos!

Jon,

I have over 58 flights on my HotSpot with JR 8411 servos in the wings and have never had a problem. I know they do have gear backlash but some have more than others. If you are concerned try the JR 8411 SA servo, same output but they have nylon gears and no backlash.

Good luck,
Ken............
Old 09-03-2002, 05:34 PM
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Hi jon

I did the same thing on my F-4, the ailerons were so bad I pieced together some 4000's

I still coannot get the 8411SA gearsets, I am not sure why JR is being this way, who knows who cares. I am getting the 8411 SA for my new bandit.
Old 09-03-2002, 05:34 PM

My Roo has the same setup, 164 flights and no problems.
Sounds like mine has about the same amount of backlash as yours.
Old 09-03-2002, 06:29 PM
My Feedback: (1)

mines the same, it has about the some slop in the surfaces but the is absolutly no flutter even at very high speed.

jason
Old 09-03-2002, 07:58 PM
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

You can help to minimize the slop at the surface by making a couple changes to your setup.

1st - Set your ATV for your aileron and flap channels to 150% (using JR terms)

2nd - change to the shortest servo arm you can.

3rd - change to the longest control horn you can get away with and still give the required surface deflection.

This does 2 things.. maximizes the servo resolution, and reduces the visible slop at the surface as a result of gear lash. Most jet setups I've seen are very poor in this regard using long servo arms and short control horns (as a result of installed space issues).

Drop me a note if you have any questions on this..

Doug Cronkhite
Team JR
Old 09-03-2002, 08:40 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Default Re: HotSpot meets JR 8411 servo

Originally posted by Jon Dahlgren
Hello all.

I have just finished my Hotspot and i have JR 8411 servos's on the aileron/elevator surfaces. I am rather concerned with the large amount of backlash in the the metal gear train. i get al least 1/16" of slop measured out at the tip of the aileron.

Does anybody out there run the same setup? I am seriously considering putting in some of my older JR Super servos. They arent't as torquey, but they have next to no slop.

I am also considering mass balancing the main surfaces which is fundamentaly the best way to prevent flutter.

thanks

Jon
Jon,
what I do with 8411 servos is this:take the case top off-remove all of the old grease-pack it full of vasoline-put it back together-the 'slop' will be GREATLY reduced or gone.Works for me anyways.Hope this helps.

Jackjet
Old 09-05-2002, 11:15 AM

Default 8411 slop

Hi Jon,

I have over 60 flights on my Hot Spot with the sam e setup and NO FLUTTER trouble.

Scott