Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

JetJoe OWNERS thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

JetJoe OWNERS thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 05:35 PM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: JetJoe OWNERS thread

ORIGINAL: meps

Greg's engine is still going strong. He has taken the engine out of his Tam F-16 and put it in a Yellow F-18. He hadn't flown it since I talked to him last but I'm sure he'll chime in and give you an update.
Steve
Or...maybe not?

Dave
Old 08-17-2007, 09:12 PM
PREACHHAMES
My Feedback: (58)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Dave,

I was here on the couch doing some "hangar flying" and thought I would see what was going on with this thread.

I have almost 7 hours of run time on my JJ1400 and am currently waiting for this 100 degree weather to break in order to fly my VFA 102 DIAMONDBACK F/A-18 by Yellow Aircraft.

My turbine has been an absolute pleasure to own and fly. Best $1450 I've spent in the hobby to date.

I logged 20 successful flights on my Tamjets F-16. The F/A-18 is a little lighter, has flaps, and should have the performance I'm looking for.

By the way, will you be at Super Jet South at www.GeorgiaJets.org

Greg Hames
Old 08-17-2007, 09:20 PM
PREACHHAMES

Dave,

Here's some pics to check out if you can't make it to Super Jet South.

Greg Hames
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43814.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	744175   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74957.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	744176   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91037.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	744177   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57034.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	744178   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57803.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	744179   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg15819.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	744180   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23494.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	744181  
Old 08-17-2007, 09:34 PM
PREACHHAMES

For all those interested: My ECU is by Regal Electronics and the only issue I've had is the label peeling up just a bit on the bottom left hand corner (little scotch tape fixed her back up like new!)

Greg Hames
Old 08-23-2007, 05:41 PM
topgunhobbies

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

finally got the chance to fire up the jj1400. Have a total of 6 cycles & the last 4 cycles have been flawless. The first two cycles ended up aborted due to me having absolutely no idea what I was doing. The jj1400 fired up through the auto sequence & ran flawlessly. Check the flames on the back side & no hot spots. Ran turbine with both 1 pc & 2 pc tail pipe. 2 pc tail pipe performed better.

1 pc pipe - ~44k at idle ~620 deg C & 147k at FT ~618 deg C

2 pc pipe - ~43k at idle ~498-500 deg C & 162k at FT ~600 deg C

Engine run GREAT.

Tam - TGH
Old 08-25-2007, 09:26 PM
MattyC-130
My Feedback: (5)

Got my JJ1400 back from Gabe. He adjusted a few things and I got it to run today. It ran great, 2 cycles 45 to 160K no problems. I replumbed the fuel system with a new BVM UAT and did away with all the Festo fittings on the suction side of the fuel pump. Also per Gabes advise switched from jetA to K1 Kerosine. I love this engine should fly my Falcon 120 great. Anybody got one they want to sell? I need one for my next project which is a Red Arrows Hawk.
Thanks to all for the help and advise.
Matty
Old 08-27-2007, 11:47 AM
jim3d2004

Gabe does a good job. I did notice that my motor has a lite vibration, I can start to feel it at 90k at 160k gets a little worse. I've run maybe 70oz of fuel through it since getting it back from Gabe. I'm finding my reciever batt. is too small 4.8volt at 600 maybe need a 1100.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:41 PM
rekitter-RCU

I have a jj1400 semi auto start with onboard starter, I have over 40 flights on the engine in a Boomerang, Great motor for this plane, good vertical but not unlimmited.
The engine starts up and runs every time that I remember to turn on all the switches and valves. The only issue I have with the engine is that it does not always come back down to idle at low stick, sometimes 50 or 54k, ECU is set for 45k for idle. Not a big deal with the Boomerang as it still lands ok and wheel brakes get it stopped.
Does anybody know what could cause this issue.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:52 AM
Warwick Laken

I need some fast information please.

I test flew my aircraft this morning with the JJ1400. engine started well and spooled up. Engine accellerates to about 140000 rpm but pops as it spools up. Other than that no problems.

How do I stop popping

Thanks
Old 08-31-2007, 12:46 PM
dw_crash
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

slow the accel and deaccel rates by increasing the numbers by 5 or 10 in the ECU. That should slow the rate of fuel flow during acceleration of the engine. The pop is excess fuel burning in the exhaust.

DW_Crash
Old 09-04-2007, 07:35 PM
topgunhobbies

The starter keeps on binding. Seems like the heat distorts the aluminum cover and causes mis-alignment. Has anyone experienced this or is there a fix for this?
Old 09-04-2007, 10:38 PM
fw190pilot

topgunhobbies
Try the starter with a c or d cell battery if it spins the motor and releases ok loosen starter cover and pull motor out of mount a little bit that should fix it. Sometimes the clutch comes out too far and sticks on compressor nut. Also make sure there is no oil or fuel on clutch oring and compressor nut.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:55 AM
rcguy!

ORIGINAL: fw190pilot

topgunhobbies
Try the starter with a c or d cell battery if it spins the motor and releases ok loosen starter cover and pull motor out of mount a little bit that should fix it. Sometimes the clutch comes out too far and sticks on compressor nut. Also make sure there is no oil or fuel on clutch oring and compressor nut.
Yup...Just fiddle with it!

Dave
Old 09-06-2007, 07:27 AM
topgunhobbies

Thanks - I did that & everything works fine for the first start. After I shutdown the engine, it binds again. Seems like the alum shroud gets deformed with the heat. The engine runs great - it's just the starter. I can't seem to get it aligned & maintain the alingment. Does anyone know if the starter & shroud for the WREN would fit?

Thanks Tom
Old 09-06-2007, 08:58 AM
MAX NITRO
My Feedback: (1)

I doubt it very much, the mountings would be different, unless you want to modify the shroud for the JJ, but I wouldn't even reccommend that. Wren starter motors are very difficult to align even on their own turbines. I know, we had to replace one on a MKIII.
Do you have any knurling on the compressor nose cone? this aids o ring grip and reduces the chance of binding.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:53 PM
fw190pilot

Starter alingment phase two. Take turbine out of plane and mark starter legs (for future reference) spin turbine with a low voltage source if starter is vibrating or making noise push on starter and see if better or worse. Keep going around till find smoothest operation (remember this spot). Unhook battery and hold turbine firmly and push on starter with your thumbs (don't be a gorilla) usually doesn't take much the cover is soft and bends fairly easy. Test again to fine tune you can get one in perfect alingment this way.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:18 PM
topgunhobbies

I think I've got it...thanks guys for your inputs.

TGH
Old 09-08-2007, 05:13 PM
Tiger_Hunter

Hello JJ Users,

I have a JJ1400. It has a bug in the ECU. The Set glow function fails to light the glow. But, it works fine during the autostart sequence. The engine has the older two board FADEC controller. I have order a cable from Gaspar to update the firmware. HAs anyone got any experience with using Gaspar's software and updating ECUs?

Tiger_Hunter
Old 09-09-2007, 06:31 AM
Gaspar

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tiger_Hunter

Hello JJ Users,

I have a JJ1400. It has a bug in the ECU. The Set glow function fails to light the glow. But, it works fine during the autostart sequence. The engine has the older two board FADEC controller. I have order a cable from Gaspar to update the firmware. HAs anyone got any experience with using Gaspar's software and updating ECUs?

Tiger_Hunter

Dear Dave K.,

Your ecu don't have any bug, it functions like you describe.

The cable you ordered (that was shipped a week ago) can't update the soft of your ecu. Nobody can besides me.

Regards,

GAspar
Old 09-09-2007, 12:11 PM
topgunhobbies

All that "tinkering" with the starter, clutch & messing with the alignment - I'm very confident that it's the preloading. I'm not too familiar or confident yet to completely tear the whole thing a part. Can anyone give me guidance on how to take this a part & not mess with the balancing? What or how could I reduce the preloading? Some say just "smash" it down alittle - other are saying replace it (replace with what?) Can someone provide me with more details - pics would be very helpful.

Also, I noticed that there seem to be air leaking pass the o-ring. The turbine runs fine otherwise. How do I eliminate this?

Thanks Tom
Old 09-09-2007, 12:38 PM
rcguy!

ORIGINAL: topgunhobbies

All that "tinkering" with the starter, clutch & messing with the alignment - I'm very confident that it's the preloading. I'm not too familiar or confident yet to completely tear the whole thing a part. Can anyone give me guidance on how to take this a part & not mess with the balancing? What or how could I reduce the preloading? Some say just "smash" it down alittle - other are saying replace it (replace with what?) Can someone provide me with more details - pics would be very helpful.

Also, I noticed that there seem to be air leaking pass the o-ring. The turbine runs fine otherwise. How do I eliminate this?

Thanks Tom
How much total time on your JJ1400?

Old 09-09-2007, 01:25 PM
topgunhobbies

18 cycles
165 min.

The turbine runs beautifully...just that I can't seem to get the starter to turn the turbine over without tinkering with it everytime.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:25 PM
fw190pilot

These engines are very simple to get apart start by marking tailcone to put back in orignal place and taking off starter and front cowl assembly. Take off tailcone mark ngv to outer can and remove outer can screws and glow plug push the inside out from the back.
Remove fuel and gas fittings rpm sensor and remaining diffuser screws remove diffuser. Mark turbine wheel, shaft, and compressor wheel and loosen nut on shaft (left hand threads), the compressor nut is most likely to loosen. Remove compressor wheel and spacer pull out turbine and shaft out the back. You won't need to take it apart any further to check and adjust preload.
I like to set the preload to where the preload tube in the shaft tunnel is flush or slightly below the outer part. Just squeeze down spring to reduce the preload no need to replace anything. Reverse steps to reassemble as long you put everything back where it was shouldn't affect balance. Put a thin skim of silicone on the front oring to seal it. Simple and easy to do just takes a little bit of time.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:10 PM
dw_crash
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Correction All.

Tiger_Hunter is not Dave K.. Dave K. is DW_Crash. Tiger_Hunter is Andrew K..

DW_Crash
Old 09-10-2007, 05:35 AM
rcdriver22
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: topgunhobbies

18 cycles
165 min.

The turbine runs beautifully...just that I can't seem to get the starter to turn the turbine over without tinkering with it everytime.
fw190pilot has given advice on stripping down the turbine but your original posts suggested the starter. Though it appears later
that the compressor maybe binding onto the intake cover. This is not due to heat in this location. It maybe preload and or spacing
So having removed the cover and starter motor does it spin freely? From the rear can you press the assembly forward? does it bind up?

Paul

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.